Protein Powder

Options
2»

Replies

• Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I like GNC chocolate isolate purely for the taste and the fact it helps my body recover after a workout.
  • jackems
    jackems Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use Garden of Life protein powder because it's raw, organic, vegan, gluten free and has 17 grams of protein per scoop.
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I love Natures Bounty cuz it has whey powder. It has no soy which I cant tolerate! AND it has no artificial sweeteners
    which I cant tolerate either! So it is just perfect. And delicious especially with almond milk. I got it at Walgreens. Only 120 kcal for 2 scoops. It makes a great meal replacement and very filling.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Your in the US I believe. My friend sent me some Jay Robb chocolate. Great macros and tastes amazing. I keep my carbs to 35% of my diet and the same for protein... Keeps my weight loss going and keeps me full. I won't eat or drink anything that doesn't taste good but Jay Robb really does. It's a good quiet, easy and convenient snack. I use it sometimes as a meal replacement when I have a busy day... Stops me grabbing junk! X
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I am currently using Designer Whey Protein powder from GNC. It contains 20gm protein & 6gm of carbs. I use it to increase my protein since starting doing strength training exercises more consistently.
  • EQV73
    EQV73 Posts: 41
    Options
    Hi. I use Pro Complete One VCore. The vanilla flavor goes with anything (I like it with OJ). It is only 120 calories. If you want more info, let me know!
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    I use NOW food whey protein isolate unflavored. It doesn't have all the added stuff some of the others have, so I can customize my shakes as I see fit. It also have very little lactose. I'm lactose intolerant, so this is a bonus.

I use this too and like it lot. We get the 10 lb bag which comes out to about 70 cents a scoop. It has lots of branched chain amino acids, which I started taking in capsule form after reading about them helping people with chronic fatigue. The shake seems to help me stay strong through workouts, though a lot of people take this stuff after instead of before workouts.

I don't eat much animal protein and have been wanting to go veg again, so this is a very good supplement, especially now that I've adjusted my macros to up the protein for resistance training.

Also, I don't make a blended shake with other stuff in it; we get the Vanilla flavor which is perfectly palatable, but I knock it back all at once, just shaken with water and sometimes adding chia seeds to help keep me hydrated for long walks or if the shake is going to be my breakfast. Then again I don't really like sweet drinks, so a fruity smoothie would not be an appealing meal for me. It tastes like it would work well in shakes like that though.

We get ours at allstarhealth.com. They have a few different sizes and flavors. NOW is one of my favorite brands. Just got some NOW egg white protein and trying to figure out how to use it in cooking.
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    NOW Foods Unflavored Whey Protein Isolate-25g protein, no preservatives or sweeteners. I mix it with organic soy and frozen strawberries, or put it in my oatmeal, or soup.

I use it so I am not that sore after my workouts the next day. I pretty much crave a protein shake after a workout.

I'm not that familiar with the details of increasing protein intake for the sake of muscles. Is there a time frame in which protein should be consumed after a workout to obtain the optimal benefits of it for your muscles? Are there other times it is beneficial during the day to increase your protein intake for the benefit of your muscles other than after a workout? Finally, how does consuming protein after a workout decrease muscle soreness?
  • NobodyInParticular
    NobodyInParticular Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of whey protein. It gets absorbed extremely quick. Go casein if you want a slow release (over night)
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I am going on record, I didn't use protein powder for my weight loss but I am a regular protein powder user for my maintenance/getting fitter journey!

I found one I love, Isopure Vanilla Creme zero carb. I use one to two scoopfuls, and add either half a frozen banana or a cup of frozen berries. I don't have to add any milk or greek yogurt and it is very smoothie isn. I use a magic bullet to whirl it into a shake.

I generally use it for a quick breakfast if I have an early meeting or night when I tally my calories and come up short. My goal is to make my nutrition plan without it, but I get busy and some days it makes more sense.

I highly recommend trying to get a sample pack or the smallest quantity to see if you like a protein powder before you invest in an economical "keg" of the stuff. Also, when you find it, shop around. My 3 pound keg is $43 at the smoothie factory, it was $89 at GNC - even on sale ($59) it was better to go to the smoothie factory.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention about the sore muscle! One of the reasons I started it was to help with sore muscles. And boy does it help! I had a very active job that used my upper body a lot and my arms/shoulders/back were CONSTANTLY sore and when I started adding protein powder to my smoothies it helped soooo much! It was a lifesaver since I usually felt like my shoulders were dying halfway through work. lol
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    NOW Foods Unflavored Whey Protein Isolate-25g protein, no preservatives or sweeteners. I mix it with organic soy and frozen strawberries, or put it in my oatmeal, or soup.

I use it so I am not that sore after my workouts the next day. I pretty much crave a protein shake after a workout.

I'm not that familiar with the details of increasing protein intake for the sake of muscles. Is there a time frame in which protein should be consumed after a workout to obtain the optimal benefits of it for your muscles? Are there other times it is beneficial during the day to increase your protein intake for the benefit of your muscles other than after a workout? Finally, how does consuming protein after a workout decrease muscle soreness?

Muscle protein synthesis is elevated 24 hours post-resistance training.