How often to Increase the Weight at the Gym

Options
Sup Guys,

I have been in the gym now for about 6 months. My strength gains at first were good and as to be expected it has really slowed down. What I was wondering is how often should I see gains in strength now?

I mean on alot of my excercises now I seem to have stagnated on all but two of my excercises which are pull ups and tricep dips/pulldown. I push my self really hard but not gaining now and wonder if this is normal and I just need patience.

I am using 10kg Dumbells and have been stuck on those for Bicep/Hammer Curls for months now.

I was following a 3 sets of 12 regime but I am changing things up a bit now and trying to do 4/5 sets of between 5-8 (focusing on better form and increased weight slightly)

Any advice appreciated

Peace out

Replies

• tempest501
    tempest501 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    bump
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    As often as you can...
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Patience, and switch up your workouts every 3 - 4 weeks or so to avoid your body adapting. By this i mean like 3 - 4 weeks hypertrophy (3 x 12reps) to 3 - 4 weeks strength (3-5 sets x 3-5 reps, heavy *kitten* weight). But your slow in gains is normal. The law of diminishing gains is a b*tch but building muscle takes time, years and years. And don't always do the same exercises. E.g. Hammer Curls 1 week, 2nd week do Reverse Barbell Curls to target the Brachialis fibres from a different angle.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    At least you're stagnating on curls and tricep pushdowns and not any heavy compounds...
    Follow a progressive overload method and stick to it, increase the weight when you're finished progressing with the one you were using.
  • tempest501
    Options
    Thanks for the replys guys. One thing I forgot to mention is I am dieting at the moment, does this slow down your strength gains? At mo my daily cals are 1660 cals excluding excercises.
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bdamaster60
    Options
    Bump

what does this mean? I see it a lot on MFP.
    Thanks for the replys guys. One thing I forgot to mention is I am dieting at the moment, does this slow down your strength gains? At mo my daily cals are 1660 cals excluding excercises.

If you are at a deficit then your strength may go down over time, the longer you diet. If strength is your primary concern then eating at maintenance should be sufficient enough to train the CNS. the CNS is not as much related to your caloric intake as compared to your metabolism.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Well, calorie decreases do mean either a stall in strength gains or a slight loss...or decrease...in my experience. I am doing compound lifts and increase the weight by between 2.5 kg per week for upper body lifts and 5 kg per week for legs...a bit slower now I am following Wendler's 5/3/1...

I too am stuck on 10kg dumbell bicep curls, I think, have not done them in a while, preferring close grip pullups and pushups, etc. Must pick up some dumbells and have a go with my biceps today...

p.s. I am female, if any of this makes any difference (I do not think it does, although we don't have as much testosterone as you blokes have)
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Yes, eating at a deficit may actually hurt your strength gains; at least you have not lost strength.. and that can happen too... It has happened to me in the past. I would suggest at least eat a surplus of protein, especially before/after workouts... Since I have been doing that, my strength training seems to improve with gains in weights. Also, make sure you are including rest days for muscle groups... I follow a Day 1: Shoulder, Arm, Chest, Day 2 Lower Body, Day 3 Core/Back, Day 4 Rest routine when I am fully involved (scheduling gets in the way at times this time of year but I still follow this as closely as possible. If you are trying to strengthen each muscle group daily then you will not allow time for muscle growth. Work outs actually tear down muscle while rest builds it... The tear down is essential for muscle growth but so is rest... Protein is essential for muscle repair as well. If you are not getting enough protein, then your body will get it from somewhere... namely your muscles... Therefore, it is difficult to gain muscle on a calorie deficit...Best wishes and hope this helps.
  • Gunsentry
    Gunsentry Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I am using 10kg Dumbells and have been stuck on those for Bicep/Hammer Curls for months now.

There is your answer!

To increase strength you need to progressively overload your muscles weekly or monthly else there is no reason for them to change.
    You also need to fuel the growth with sufficient nutrition of you want mass gains.

Increase your weight weekly\monthly by 5lbs or increase the Reps if the weight is to much.

e.g.:- by going up in reps over the weeks go 3x5 / 3x6 / 3x7 / 3x8 / 3x9 / 3x10 then add weight and repeat...
  • 46Phil
    46Phil Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tempest501
    Options
    Thank for all the advice, I made some improvement today on my chest so that is good I just bumped up the weight 5kg and it was hard but I managed it so ill,try again with my arms tomorrow.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Bump

Two uses for "bump". One is to bump the thread to the top of the forum so more people see it. Two, and what I use it most often: Is I don't have time to read the whole thread, but want to later. So I will post "bump" so I can go back to my profile and find the thread a lot easier than searching for it.

As for your actual question. Yes, being in a deficit can sap your strength. Right now I lift three days, and run three days. I have my goal set at a -500 calorie deficit, but I'm usually so hungry I've just decided to eat at maintenance or a thinner deficit than 500. However, I'm just now reaching a plateau in the weight room afte 90 days of lifting hard....so we'll see what happens.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    every. single. time.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

it means someone would rather pollute the threads with BUMP BUMP ad naseum to find it again, rather than just add it to favorites/
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Periodization will get you through your plateau. You're in a calorie deficit so it will be difficult. Given that you are still fairly new to lifting it's definitely doable though.

Here's an example of periodization

Let's use squats for this example
    week 1, 3 sets of 8 reps @ 200lbs
    week 2, 3 sets of 9 reps @ 200lbs
    week 3, 3 sets of 10 reps @ 200lbs
    week 4, 3 sets of 11 reps @ 200lbs
    week 5, 3 sets of 12 reps @ 200lbs
    Take a week off
    week 7, 3 sets of 8 reps @ 210lbs
    week 7, 3 sets of 9 reps @ 210lbs
    week 7, 3 sets of 10 reps @ 210lbs
    week 7, 3 sets of 11 reps @ 210lbs
    week 7, 3 sets of 12 reps @ 210lbs

Don't increase the weight more than 5 or 10% each cycle.
  • bdamaster60
    Options
    Periodization will get you through your plateau. You're in a calorie deficit so it will be difficult. Given that you are still fairly new to lifting it's definitely doable though.

Here's an example of periodization

Let's use squats for this example
    week 1, 3 sets of 8 reps @ 200lbs
    week 2, 3 sets of 9 reps @ 200lbs
    week 3, 3 sets of 10 reps @ 200lbs
    week 4, 3 sets of 11 reps @ 200lbs
    week 5, 3 sets of 12 reps @ 200lbs
    Take a week off
    week 7, 3 sets of 8 reps @ 210lbs
    week 7, 3 sets of 9 reps @ 210lbs
    week 7, 3 sets of 10 reps @ 210lbs
    week 7, 3 sets of 11 reps @ 210lbs
    week 7, 3 sets of 12 reps @ 210lbs

Don't increase the weight more than 5 or 10% each cycle.

A Very good example. But I wouldn't take a week off, switch to a Front Squat variation just with deload or lighter weight.
  • adamsleeps
    Options
    I'm a mesomorph body type. I train my body parts separately every day of the week. Whenever I increase weight on a compound movement, I increase weight on my isolation exercises as well. So, the key is to know when you can increase your weight on a compound movement exercise (Deadlift, squat, bench press etc). I opt for more weight every week I deadlift, squat, and bench press. These are larger muscles that are easier for me, personally, to destroy every week (I am a very safe weightlifter, none the less). So after my back heals from an intense workout, the next week I train it, it HAS to be stronger so I lift more weight or complete more reps! I consume the appropriate amount of protein a day to make sure I'm building muscle and that I can recover properly. I hope that helped dude, good luck!
  • jandcorcandj
    Options
    I used to use the 3 sets for x amount of reps workout schedule and have since learned about 1 rep max percentages. It's a great way to map your workouts and prevents long-term plateaus. I use the first bench power progression for 3 months, then use the body building progression the following 3 months (both found at the first link), and finish with 5 x 5's (2nd link) through the summer and the Christmas holidays. The 5 x 5 workouts can be done quicker and are great to maintain power and free up boat time in the summer months when I'd much rather be outside. My brother and I used the bench routine starting last winter and added over 35lbs to each of our bench press maxes in 90 days. We're starting it again this winter and am hoping (not expecting) similar results to last year. I will preface this with I upped my caloric intake by nearly 1500 calories per day through the 90 day regimine and weigh right at 260lbs. My brother is a slender 173lbs and said he upped his calories by near 1000 per day. I'd agree with others and eat the calories needed to at least maintain. Final advice...scrap the scale and use measurements to track your progress if weight gains are your focus. Muscle weighs more than fat and also burns more calories at rest. Hope this helps and good luck with attaining your goals!!!

http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/benchpgm.htm
    stronglifts.com