The Seven Stages of MFP

Options
This is just a bit of silliness I thought up. It's like the seven stages of grief, but applied to how I feel about MFP! I hope it motivates some of you! :-D I think I'm between 5 and 6 right now.

1. Denial
You enter your calories for the first time thinking, "I eat pretty well. This shouldn't be so bad!" Only to realize you're eating twice, sometimes three times what MFP says you should be! You think, "WELL! This can't POSSIBLY be right!!!"

2. Guilt
Reality sets in as you scour nutrition labels of your regular foods. You feel sick to your stomach and guilty about how much you have been eating vs. how much you should be eating. It's painful for you to think you're going to have to cut back on your favorite indulgences.

3. Anger
You're still new to counting your calories and watching your portions. You get pissed off because you keep going over the number MFP gave you. You think, "UGH! Is it even humanly possible to eat this few calories?! How do people do it?!!" You feel like giving up, but you stick with it because you know it's good for you. But you don't have to be happy about it!!!

4. Depression
You've been entering your calories for a little while now. But you're still struggling with your new life change. You feel depressed and discouraged because you haven't quite found a balance that works for you yet. You might hit a plateau and feel really sad about it!

5. The Upward Turn
You're starting to get into a rhythm. You're not going over your calories everyday anymore. You're discovering yummy foods that are healthful and keep you energized throughout the day. You feel good about the food you're eating and the exercise you're starting to incorporate into your routine. And HEY! LOOK AT THAT! You've lost some pounds!

6. Reconstruction
You're really becoming an expert now. You're finding what works for you and reconstructing your life to make lasting changes that will shape your weight and your health for the rest of your life. You might hit a plateau now and then, but you know what to do to get things moving again. You might slip here and there, but you can work through it and see the bigger picture.

7. Acceptance
You've embraced your new lifestyle and on your way to reaching your goals and maintaining once you get there. You feel hopeful and motivated! You look back and can't BELIEVE how you used to eat and behave. You've made a complete 360 in your thinking and your habits. You know that you're going to make it happen no matter what!!

Replies

• proudloser
    Options
    Well said!
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    and then repeat steps 4 - 7 for the rest of your life :laugh:
  • lindsay1982
    lindsay1982 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Sooo gonna print this and put it on my bathroom mirror, love it, thanks!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Excellent Post. It should be placed in the same area where all those FAQ's for newbies are found.
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    Thankfully I'm in #5 and didn't go through the others, except maybe a little of #2 with regards to how much I used to eat.
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Love it!
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I swear you need to get out of my head!!!! LOL

I have gone through each one of those in that order! I believe I am a Stage 5er right now! LOL
  • tnewcom
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing!
  • lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    So very true! Thanks for Sharing!:laugh:
  • gummibaehr
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! :blushing:
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Really enjoyed this. :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    Love it! Very well said. :drinker:
  • Fancy_Nancy2
    Fancy_Nancy2 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Love it and so true.

153118.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Great application!!! I love it. :smile:
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Super Cute! Love it!
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! Great post :heart:
  • NykkieC
    NykkieC Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    :heart: this! So cute!
  • gummibaehr
    Options
    Oh wow! I'm so glad people like this. :-D
  • jrbowers83
    jrbowers83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    This post rings so true!! Very clever to have made the association, gummibaehr. And may I point out that just like the cycle of grief, this MFP cycle seems to start over and over multiple times. Kinda like a rollercoaster, "I'm doing good, I'm losing weight feeling great." Then "oh no, I gained WHAT?!?" Bawl for hours lol. That's where I am right now. :laugh: But hopefully I'll get back in the groove of things soon. Thanks for this to bring it into view and know I'm not the only one.
  • itsmenatalie
    itsmenatalie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Loved this - awesome job! :laugh: