ibuprofen for muscle soreness?

Options
2»

Replies

• lrobi400
    Options
    I would skip meds for muscle pain and use the topical treatments such as icy hot or bengay. Tough it out, stretch it out, rub it out... it'll go away. I would only suggest using meds for debilitating joint pain. This is coming from a person with 2 crooked knee caps and 2 herniated discs that doesn't take medicine at all.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Is it safe to take it every once in a while before my runs if I feel slightly sore?
    Or should I just suck it up and run through the soreness?

And yes I do take breaks to rest :)

For drugs and medical questions go ask a real doctor & not random opinions from folks on the interwebz....:drinker:
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Do not use if trying to build muscle

"A study published in 2001 by exercise physiologist William J. Evans of the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences and his colleagues showed that both ibuprofen and, to the researchers' surprise, acetaminophen (Tylenol) blocked new muscle synthesis after intense weight training exercise.

Evans' group studied 24 men in their 20s and divided them into three groups -- one that got ibuprofen, one that got acetaminophen and one that got a dummy drug -- after a weight workout of the legs that brought the subject to the point of exhaustion. The researchers also took muscle biopsies -- small samples of muscle tissue -- before and after the exercise, and did numerous other tests.

They found that both ibuprofen and acetaminophen suppress the body's normal response to muscle damage (and thus repair) after exercise."

plus

http://www.kinemed.com/files/Effect_of_Ibuprofen_and.pdf

plus

"Muscle infammation is essential to eliciting various adaptations within the muscle. No imflammation, no adaptations. Here's some research as I'm sure some people will disagree. I can supply plenty more if needed. It deals with antioxidants, though their anti-inflammatory action can be compared to pain killers.

Radical species in inflammation and overtraining. Can. J. Physiol. Pharmacol. 76(5): 533?538 (1998)

Abstract: Reactive oxygen species can be important in the initiation of exercise-induced muscle damage and in the initiation and propagation of the subsequent acute muscle inflammatory response. Oxygen radicals generated via the neutrophil respiratory burst are vital in clearing away muscle tissue that has been damaged by exercise and they may also be responsible for propagation of further damage. Intervention by antioxidants to limit the postexercise inflammatory response and its potential to impair optimal muscle function are of interest to serious and recreational sports participants. Although antioxidants have the potential to limit muscle oxidative stress during the postexercise period, direct evidence for their role in this is limited. It is likely that short-term training can protect muscle from subsequent exercise-induced damage and inflammation without necessarily improving muscle antioxidant status. Although muscle antioxidant status may be enhanced by longer term training, diet, or antioxidant administration, the significance of antioxidants in limiting muscle damage during the acute inflammatory response needs to be more clearly defined. It may even be counterproductive to limit neutrophil function during the inflammatory response, since this may inhibit subsequent muscle repair."
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I am sorry but on this I would say a big NO! :noway: Why would you want to, its a drug that should be used correctly and not just because you feel you might be a bit sore! have a had bath, look into aromatherapy oils to put into the bath, a much more pleasurable experience than pill popping.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Ibuprofen is an anti inflamatory (NSAID) not a pain killer.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Ibuprofen isn't great because it blocks both the COX 1 and COX 2 enzymes.

COX 2 enzymes are largely responsible for the inflamation and swelling but COX 1 enzymes aid in muscle recovery, so in blocking those it is a detriment to your recovery.

I have read that Celebrex and Vioxx only block the COX 2 enzyme so would be better choices.
  • sarahlouise7
    sarahlouise7 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    What really really helps me with sore muscles is

- ensuring that i warm up properly before a work out, stretch and cool down properly after a work out, i dont mean a quick 2 min stretches, but stretches for each muscle group and done several times over, takes about 10-20 min but after a hard work out, its actually really relaxing and theraputic i think :) and definately helps me with not having so sore muscles later.

-a hot (but not too hot!) bath with radox bath salts followed by a cold shower, ibuprofen (only if very tender! as its an anti inflammatary and can help! but taken occasionally ) and a good sleep! Sleep and rest is so important. I look forward to all this so much after intense workouts and after my PT sessions! I also found that rubbing the muscles made them worse, so i dont do that :( but its natural to rub something thats hurting so difficult to not do!! HTH
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Ibuprofen can raise your blood pressure and damage liver & kidneys. Ive been informed you should avoid taking any pain relievers while exercising.

Well then I'm in big trouble cause I take panadine forte 4 times a day, 8 whole doses of 30mg of the stuff just so I can move without pain. I workout like a bugger with it in my system. Been taking them daily for just over 3 years now & not one problem for me. But then it's not Ibuprofen so I don't know... that's like lollies to me that one.

Wow. This is insane.

Is there some reason you take so much?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I avoid it for two reasons - One was on the advice of a trusted friend who is an avid runner (and cyclist and swimmer) and also a doctor who explained the possible negative side effects of using an NSAID pre-workout. He does not recommend it pre-workout and suggests avoiding it post workout unless really necessary.
    The other was for the reason Matt_wild posted.
  • Brian_VA
    Brian_VA Posts: 125
    Options
    Ibuprofen is an anti inflamatory (NSAID) not a pain killer.

To answer the OP, if you are feeling sore enough that you can't run without a pain killer, I'd suggest an extra rest day. The key to running is to avoid injury, and when you run when you are hurting you are definitely setting yourself up for injury.

Ibuprofen is a pain reliever when used at lower dosage. To get its anti inflammatory affects you need to take a higher dosage consistenly for a at least a couple days. Talk to your doctor or PT to find out how much and for how long. This is for an injury like tendonitis or nerve impingement, not for generalized soreness.
  • emily_bird
    Options
    I take it for my periods (medically recommended and I only take it as much as I have to & as little as possible ), and if you ARE going to take it, make sure that you have something in your stomach. It can eat away the lining of your stomach.If I don't have food in my stomach when I take it, I get stomach cramps.Seriously, even if it's just a biscuit, make sure that you have something.

I won't comment on the exercise and it because I don't have enough knowledge about it; however, I would say that be careful that you aren't pushing yourself too hard too soon. There's a difference between pushing yourself into success and pushing yourself into failure. Work on knowing your limits and how to work within them correctly. I don't know your medical history or any other factors, but if you're pushing yourself to the point that you need painkillers.... that seems a little bit dodgy.

Maybe you should do research on this .

Good luck and hoping that you get no more pain!
  • nixxy74
    nixxy74 Posts: 106
    Options
    i was listening to jillian micheals the other week about this topic.

she said absolutley no pain killers or hot baths! she suggests rolling it out with foam rollers (i told my gym about them and they now supply them) or a massage (its a good excuse to spoil yourself anyways)
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Learn how to recover, NSAIDS should be a last resort.

foam roll
    stretch
    workout to recover
    take a contrast shower
    take an epsom salt bath
    get a massage
  • tpt1950
    tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Learn how to recover, NSAIDS should be a last resort.

foam roll
    stretch
    workout to recover
    take a contrast shower
    take an epsom salt bath
    get a massage
    ^^^^ This

My doctor recommended the following for my running with sore knees:
    Take ibuprofen only AFTER exercise not before - ice soreness the first 12 hours after the exercise 3 times a day for 10-15 minutes.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options

"A study published in 2001 by exercise physiologist William J. Evans of the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences and his colleagues showed that both ibuprofen and, to the researchers' surprise, acetaminophen (Tylenol) blocked new muscle synthesis after intense weight training exercise.

Evans' group studied 24 men in their 20s and divided them into three groups -- one that got ibuprofen, one that got acetaminophen and one that got a dummy drug -- after a weight workout of the legs that brought the subject to the point of exhaustion. The researchers also took muscle biopsies -- small samples of muscle tissue -- before and after the exercise, and did numerous other tests.

They found that both ibuprofen and acetaminophen suppress the body's normal response to muscle damage (and thus repair) after exercise."

plus

plus

"Muscle infammation is essential to eliciting various adaptations within the muscle. No imflammation, no adaptations. Here's some research as I'm sure some people will disagree. I can supply plenty more if needed. It deals with antioxidants, though their anti-inflammatory action can be compared to pain killers.

Radical species in inflammation and overtraining. Can. J. Physiol. Pharmacol. 76(5): 533?538 (1998)

Abstract: Reactive oxygen species can be important in the initiation of exercise-induced muscle damage and in the initiation and propagation of the subsequent acute muscle inflammatory response. Oxygen radicals generated via the neutrophil respiratory burst are vital in clearing away muscle tissue that has been damaged by exercise and they may also be responsible for propagation of further damage. Intervention by antioxidants to limit the postexercise inflammatory response and its potential to impair optimal muscle function are of interest to serious and recreational sports participants. Although antioxidants have the potential to limit muscle oxidative stress during the postexercise period, direct evidence for their role in this is limited. It is likely that short-term training can protect muscle from subsequent exercise-induced damage and inflammation without necessarily improving muscle antioxidant status. Although muscle antioxidant status may be enhanced by longer term training, diet, or antioxidant administration, the significance of antioxidants in limiting muscle damage during the acute inflammatory response needs to be more clearly defined. It may even be counterproductive to limit neutrophil function during the inflammatory response, since this may inhibit subsequent muscle repair."

Wow, thank you for this. I don't typically take any OTC pain stuff, but occasionally I do if I have a head ache. Yeah, I'm not taking them ever again lol.
  • gregarybrown72
    gregarybrown72 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    please avoid pain killer if possible. A s you lost weight and shape up the pain will decrease. try hot /cold baths and foam rollers. Pain killers are exactly that killers!
  • dreilingda
    dreilingda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Do not combine running and ibuprofen.

http://runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/ibuprofen-and-running/

Just google running and ibuprofen to see all of the warnings. If it's just a bit of soreness, suck it up. If you're trying to push through an injury, rest and/or see a Doctor. Ignore this advice at your own peril.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

plus

plus

I read something very similar in regards to ice baths (I love em post runs). Generally, inflammation is our friend.