Thoughts on Wii Fit?

Options
2»

Replies

• ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    It isn't amazing- but I like the yoga and any movement is better than nothing. However, if you already have an exercise regiment or belong to a gym I wouldn't waste the money.
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info on Zumba, I want to try that next! :happy:
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    i have Zumba - tried it twice and just couldn't get the hang of it. I have a Jillian Michaels game and really liked that one....actually forgot I had it until I started reading this post! Think i need to break it out again! I also have the wii fit plus....haven't used it very much....but it's good to get you up and moving a bit
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I like the wii fit but it's not intense, it's ideal to get up and start moving but I prefer I the ea sport active on the wii for a more intense workout.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I have the Wii Fit Plus and love it. Some of the game oriented exercises are a bit too easy but many of the workouts (step, cycling, running, etc.) are great workouts that can really make you sweat if you put in the time. The yoga on the Wii Fit is a great way to introduce yourself to the positions if you're not familiar with yoga. I bought a 4" riser for my Wii Fit to do the step aerobics and it makes a HUGE difference in the step workout. I also have Wii Fit Zumba 2 which I would not recommend. It has lots of great reviews but I personally find it confusing because I've never taken a Zumba class and find the game hard to follow without any prior knowledge of that type of workout (plus the graphics are awful).
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I love using it if I don't feel like doing any of my other workouts. I especially love the boxing when I've had a rough day. I'll do that one a couple times on the really bad days. Now if only I could afford to join a gym and beat the crap out of an actual punching bag on those days....
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    It's fun, but not a great workout.

I did lose a lot of weight with the Wii being my only exercise program, though: EA Active 2, Zumba, and Exerbeat Gym Class Workout, mainly. Highly recommended!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I think as an introduction to exercise, it's pretty good. The downside is that it doesn't have any particular structure...you can do whatever you want to do so I always tended to lean towards the easy stuff...and/or convince myself that I just wanted to have a light day and work on balance stuff (more fun game kind of stuff really)..or plan on doing x, y, & z but only end up doing x & y. I'm the kind of person that needs a structure when it comes to exercise...whether it's an app on my phone or DVD...whatever, I need it to say, "ok...today you're doing this, no buts about it." I've also always been more successful when I've had a coach/trainer that is pushing me; I tend to get lazy.
  • emczech5
    emczech5 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I would say it's was worth it for me because it came with the balance board. I have a few other games that are compatible with the balance board so it's nice to have. For a work out, it's not the greatest. It's certainly better than nothing. I use my Wii Fit Plus frequently, because I use it to weigh myself. I don't have another scale. If I have it turned on I'll do some of the exercises. I feel like I can get a decent work out in with some of the boxing stuff, and if the weather is bad doing some of the running but I can definitely get a better work out in the same amount of time with some of the other games. I really like the EA Sports Active games and the Zumba for the Wii isn't too bad either. I know some people find the Zumba confusing and honestly it probably is if you've never done Zumba before, but it gets me moving and in the privacy of my own home so I don't have to look like an idiot in front of other people.

If you do get the Wii Fit go for the Wii fit Plus, not the original Wii Fit. With the Wii U having just come out and people wanting to upgrade to the new system I would imagine Wiis are cheaper and you could probably find Wii Fit plus for a good deal at a used game store.
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    We've got Wii Fit Plus with the balance board. It was good to get me moving after i injured my ankle. It was also recommended by my physio when I was getting my ankle back into shape - apparently some of the balance games are really good for building strength in your ankles & knees, particularly when you're coming back from an injury.

As others have said the cardio ones probably aren't all that good - running on the spot etc, but if it's bad weather outside it's better than couch surfing! The yoga ones are nice.

Also it's quite fun, if there are 2 of you you can do the games and have a bit of a laugh. I haven't used mine much over the summer aside from the balance games for my ankle - but we'll probably play a few of them other games over the winter.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I use the Wii Fit Plus with the balance board, and I also have the platform that raises the board up to about 7". The system was great to get me off the couch and moving when I was too big/embarassed to go to the gym.

Whether it's great cardio or not depends on your current fitness level, and also how much you put into it. If you just sit on the couch and flick your wrist it won't do much for you. But if you're playing tennis and you're up and moving around and really smacking the ball, that will give you more exercise and burn more calories.

Just the other night:
    20 minutes of Tennis - 90 cals
    75 mins of Step, Obstacle Course. Free Step - 460 cals

I can foresee a time when the Fit disc won't give me enough of a workout to get my heart rate up high enough (that's already happening with tennis) so I'll move to something else. But for now, it's giving me a really good workout. 20 mins of tennis used to burn about 200 cals for me, so I can see that my fitness level is getting much better. And I just started doing the Free Step. With that, you can speed up the beat to get more of a workout.

Let people poo-poo Wii all they want - if it gets you up off the couch and moving then it's a good thing. And if it's giving you a good calorie burn (550 cals ain't nothing to sneeze at!) that's a great thing.

And it's just fun!