Is there a certain time you stop eating?

ScarletTarah
ScarletTarah Posts: 117 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I was wondering if there was a certain amount of time before bed you should stop.

Replies

• According to Alicia Silverstone's book/diet, The Kind Diet, she said you should stop eating three hours before you go to bed. This is because it takes three hours for your food to digest. And you do not want to go to bed on a full stomach!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    We eat dinner at 6, I give myself time for dessert and try to eat it (if I want it) before 8:30. 8:30 is my cut off time. We usually go to bed around 10 or 11.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    No. Studies have shown that it doesn't matter when you eat your calories, it's the total calories that count. I stop when I am no longer hungry and have gotten in all my protein.

I usually drink a protein hot chocolate about half an hour before bedtime, in fact. It's very relaxing.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Hopefully when my calories for the day are gone. :) I don't have a set time. I used to be able to sleep on an empty stomach, but I can't anymore, so I absolutely need something before I go to bed.
  • No. Studies have shown that it doesn't matter when you eat your calories, it's the total calories that count. I stop when I am no longer hungry and have gotten in all my protein.

I usually drink a protein hot chocolate about half an hour before bedtime, in fact. It's very relaxing.

What is a protein hot chocolate?? Sounds delish!! :]

Oh and no, I do not stop eating at a certain time.. I find that it makes me anxious.. having to make sure I eat a balanced diet with the right amount of calories before THIS time.. I tend to stop eating around 9-10pm.. just depends on having a late night snack or not.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,150 Member
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: sometimes I do the last of my workouts around 9PM and have exercise calories left so i get to have a protein shake or protein bar near bedtime......this is after balanced healthy eating stretched out all day.:bigsmile:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    I have a little something sweet pretty much right before bed. Usually a little dab of ice cream or a popsicle or something. About 100-150 calories. I do it every night,,, and I don't think it's hurt me any.

Calories in - calories out, that's what counts. I like to do fasted cardio in the mornings,,, so I don't eat for a while after I first get up - but other than that I don't worry too much about timing my meals. I eat about 6 times a day.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    I was wondering if there was a certain amount of time before bed you should stop.
    I stop eating before I fall asleep, otherwise I end up with food all in the covers. No one likes crumbs in the bed!! :smile:

My daughter likes a bedtime snack. I like going to sleep with food on my stomach. I usually have a snack with her.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    No. Studies have shown that it doesn't matter when you eat your calories, it's the total calories that count. I stop when I am no longer hungry and have gotten in all my protein.

I second this. I usually eat right before going to bed. It seems to make no difference at all, at least with me.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    I have a little something sweet pretty much right before bed. Usually a little dab of ice cream or a popsicle or something. About 100-150 calories. I do it every night,,, and I don't think it's hurt me any.

Calories in - calories out, that's what counts. I like to do fasted cardio in the mornings,,, so I don't eat for a while after I first get up - but other than that I don't worry too much about timing my meals. I eat about 6 times a day.
    :drinker: Mini Donuts... pop em in and go to bed. Yummm
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Those types of recommendations are usually for people who aren't in particular control over their diets. If you don't pay attention to what you put in your body all day, an easy way to start getting control is to cut out the late-night cookie binge.

If you still have calories left at the end of the day go right ahead. I used to always go to bed on a full stomach and when I stopped eating before bed I actually found I slept better. Weird huh? Do whatever you like as long as you're counting your calories it shouldn't effect your weight-loss.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member

What is a protein hot chocolate?? Sounds delish!! :]
    Some of it is. You have to get the right kind. I like this one:

http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/index.php?target=products&product_id=47

The others I've tried either had too weak a chocolate flavor or they tended up clump up.
This discussion has been closed.