Apparently I need more carbs?

Options
I've been under my 1800 calorie goal (that number includes exercise) each day but one - not ridiculously under, just about enough wiggle room for a Naked brand smoothie - yet I find myself getting considerably less carbohydrates than the guidelines suggest. It's a large enough 'deficit' that drinking that extra smoothie would still leave me short. I use a protein shake in the morning to feel full longer, along with my coffee and a smoothie as my morning snack. Lunch is typically peanut butter or a Clif Builder's bar, with the afternoon snack being whichever wasn't lunch. Supper is often soup, bread, and a small dessert or a beer. I'm not intentionally doing a low-carb diet, though weight loss is a primary goal.

Any suggestions for adding more carbs without going over budget?

Replies

• mtiheartmuscle
    Options
    It sounds like you are getting plenty of carbs. I would actually focus on less carbs, higher protein. It also doesn't sound like you are getting enough to eat throughout the day and the lack of nutrients are not great. I would try 5-6 small meals per day and focus on the food pyramid (enough fruits, veggies, protein and grains (100% whole wheat)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    How far under are we talking? Where are you at vs goal?

Most likely if you don't feel sluggish and your workouts feel OK, you don't *need* more carbs. Consider the carb limit an upper limit, and protein and fats minimums. So if you have hit your protein and fat goals and you still have calories left, you can use them however you wish.

So cliffs notes, you can probably have the rest of your calories from whatever you like- it doesn't have to be carbs.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    The tally at the end shows me roughly 300 calories under, and often 50+ carbs in deficit. I'm almost always within 5 or so of my target protein number, often in excess of it.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    If I went by the guidelines, they would have me consuming 525 g's of carbs. I generally consume about 200 g's, I think I'll survive big agra's attempt to manipulate my brain with perishing from malnutrition. j/k :laugh:
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    If you are at the default settings of MFP, the protein is far too low and carbs make up the difference. Most guidelines for preserving lean mass while losing fat suggest 1g protein per lb of lean mass. So if you weight 200 lb and are 50% body fat, you have 100 lb of lean mass and should get 100g protein per day. Fat should be around 0.5g per lb of lean mass (so, in my example it would be 50g), and carbs are just the leftovers.

These are guidelines, some people find they feel better and perform better with higher or lower carbs. Personally, protein is the most satiating macro, so I tend to aim for protein and consume other things as they occur with my protein. Experiment and see what you like.

Also, calories are way more important than macronutrients. When they are first starting out, a lot of people like to worry about calories first, get used to that, and then worry about macros later.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Snack on fruit during the day.
  • starkitty13
    starkitty13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you do to exercise. I'm a runner and my nutritionist had me adjust my ratios to 60-65% carbs with at least 79g-100g of protein depending on the training day. I have trouble getting to that 60% mark myself, but when I do, wow! I feel so much better and my body fat drops fast! I definitely don't recommend that high of a percentage if you aren't a distance runner. In the off season I have to reduce the carb ratio quite a bit. I find that steel cut oatmeal with a little of peanut butter, agave nectar, chia seeds, and banana are the perfect food.