Juicing

Options
I recently just watched a documentary called Change for hunger and it introduced juicing to me, I have a lot of questions about juicing, (Yes, I have searched the forums before posting this) I heard that when your juicing you are not suppose to eat anything else? Also, how would you log the juicing into the myfitnesspal program? Lastly, does anyone have any good recipes they use for their juices.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to add olive oil, eggs, fish oil would be good too. j/k:smile:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I heard that when your juicing you are not suppose to eat anything else?

That doesn't sound healthy at all. where would you get your fiber, protein, and fat from?
  • Hertford86
    Hertford86 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go more than a few days on just juice - I often have it for breakfast and lunch, and make sure I get my protein in snacks and dinner. Try googling Mean Green Juice for a standard recipe. I use romaine, kale, apple and lemon (lemon is essential - makes the kale much more palatable, so you can use a lot more, and that's where the real action is.) You can make it stronger as you get used to it, and sub in basically anything. Raw ginger is a good addition too. But yeah, unless you're really overweight, and have talked to your doctor, eat other stuff too.

Good luck - I hope you like it!
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    bad idea unless you are looking for deficiencies in your diet

and hunger
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

and hunger

and constipation or diarhea
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

and hunger

and constipation or diarhea

or both
  • wtfusernameisnttaken
    Options
    Any "diet" that you can't maintain for life, isn't worth doing. Learning to eat properly and proportionately is the BEST way to go. It's not quick or easy, but long term you'll be able to maintain the loss better. I juice, but I don't do it as a diet, I do it because it's healthier than the sugar'd up juices you buy at market.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I heard that when your juicing you are not suppose to eat anything else?

That doesn't sound healthy at all. where would you get your fiber, protein, and fat from?

Clearly you haven't read the Master Cleanse Book. Your body makes protein from the nitrogen in the air. Don't question me, I read it correctly, your body makes protein from AIR.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    since I'm not sure bacon can be juiced, I believe I will avoid this eating plan.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    There are two thing to which "Juicing" could refer.

One is am idiotic idea that people try as a "quick fix" or a "jumpstart" that can wreak havoc on a digestive system and throw one's nutrition completely out of whack.

The other is, of course, anabolic steroids.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I couldn't survive on a juice diet, I'd be hungry most of the time and probably die of dehydration from having the squirts (_!_)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I couldn't survive on a juice diet, I'd be hungry most of the time and probably die of dehydration from having the squirts (_!_)

Duh, you just have to drink more juice then. Faster than you're squirting.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    I think you're talking about something from the documentary, available online or even on youtube called "Fat Sick & Nearly Dead".

It is an amazing documentary. But as they say in it, do not start juicing without a nutritionist and under a phsyician's care.

What you CAN do is juicing yourself. I do it daily. I use veggies I would never eat in a million years.

You can look at my DIARY and check under "drinks" what I'm doing, what veggies I'm using but here are examples, and mind you, I can't stand any of them:

Kale
    Chard
    Beets
    Spinach
    Arrugula

and you should probably get a juicer. What most people use are a Breville juicer, but there are other cheaper ones out there like Jack La Lanne, etc.

Sometimes I just juice small amounts of that (nasty tasting) stuff and add a carrot in there, and DEFINITELY JUICE AN APPLE in there otherwise....well it is really vomitous tasting.

Things to sweeten your juice -

APPLE
    BANANA
    CARROT

So, in a nutshell, buy a couple of veggies you hate and would never eat, put them in a juicer with an apple, a carrot, and a banana (you might be able to go with less the more you get used to it) & voila - you have juice.

You can also attempt to do this in a blender but add more water into it, and less veggies, it will also taste even worse, but some people do it that way.

Good luck!

EDIT: I do not juice without having real meals. I would suggest calorie counting here, and maybe ONE meal replace with veggies. MAYBE.

The benefits: all the veggies are beneficial to humans & it makes you "regular".
  • Alexandria1213
    Alexandria1213 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I don' want to just juice and not eat anything else or try to get a "quick fix" I am just very curious in juicing and thought it would be a good way to get a lot more vegetables in my diet.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    I don' want to just juice and not eat anything else or try to get a "quick fix" I am just very curious in juicing and thought it would be a good way to get a lot more vegetables in my diet.

It definitely is a good way to get more veggies into your diet! GL!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

But then you'd have sour butt from excessive wiping :(
  • Alexandria1213
    Alexandria1213 Posts: 152 Member
    Options

But then you'd have sour butt from excessive wiping :(

HAHAHA!
  • mjwarford
    mjwarford Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I juice frequently but eat regular meals. I very commonly juice spinach, cucumber, carrot, beets etc (primarily veggies) and then add in an apple or a pear to make it sweeter. It looks like pond water but actually tastes pretty good. I love the nutrition and energy boost I get from it. I try to be careful not to add too many high sugar fruits to I don't get a blood sugar spike and then a sugar crash. I really enjoy them in the morning before a workout and then after the workout have greek yogurt, eggs, oats, things with protein and fiber.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I recently just watched a documentary called Change for hunger and it introduced juicing to me, I have a lot of questions about juicing, (Yes, I have searched the forums before posting this) I heard that when your juicing you are not suppose to eat anything else? Also, how would you log the juicing into the myfitnesspal program? Lastly, does anyone have any good recipes they use for their juices.

markmcgwire.jpg
    :laugh:
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I think you're talking about something from the documentary, available online or even on youtube called "Fat Sick & Nearly Dead".

It is an amazing documentary. But as they say in it, do not start juicing without a nutritionist and under a phsyician's care.

What you CAN do is juicing yourself. I do it daily. I use veggies I would never eat in a million years.

You can look at my DIARY and check under "drinks" what I'm doing, what veggies I'm using but here are examples, and mind you, I can't stand any of them:

Kale
    Chard
    Beets
    Spinach
    Arrugula

and you should probably get a juicer. What most people use are a Breville juicer, but there are other cheaper ones out there like Jack La Lanne, etc.

Sometimes I just juice small amounts of that (nasty tasting) stuff and add a carrot in there, and DEFINITELY JUICE AN APPLE in there otherwise....well it is really vomitous tasting.

Things to sweeten your juice -

APPLE
    BANANA
    CARROT

So, in a nutshell, buy a couple of veggies you hate and would never eat, put them in a juicer with an apple, a carrot, and a banana (you might be able to go with less the more you get used to it) & voila - you have juice.

You can also attempt to do this in a blender but add more water into it, and less veggies, it will also taste even worse, but some people do it that way.

Good luck!

EDIT: I do not juice without having real meals. I would suggest calorie counting here, and maybe ONE meal replace with veggies. MAYBE.

The benefits: all the veggies are beneficial to humans & it makes you "regular".

you can't juice bananas...they don't have any juice.