how many calories is too few?

Options
My plan on here says that 1270 calories is right for me to lose 1lb a week, and im satisfied with what i eat, but is that enough calories? other websites say that 1200 calories is extremely low

Replies

• acureese
    acureese Posts: 169
    Options
    That's the amount of calories you need to eat if you don't do any activity at all I think, and are sedentary...working out definitely ups the calories (my daily intake when I workout to lose a pound a week usually jumps from 1230 to 1700 or 1800), as does just being active (example= food preparation/cooking, cleaning the house, walking the dog, walking to work, walking around a mall (I guesstimate I walk around the mall around a 2.0 for 45 minutes, for ex, or I walk around a 3.0 when I'm doing errands around my neighborhood for 20 mins)...so you need to add those into your activity log and your caloric intake to lose the lb will increase :) Hope this helps!
  • julieworm
    Options
    I have recently moved to this site on my iphone (before I was using Tap and Track) and this one is much better for UK users!
    When I filled in my details on tap and track they gave me a maximum of 565 calories...which was hard to stick to!
    This site allows me 1200...which is obviously alot easier but am I really going to lose weight? and how are they sooo different???
    Also if I keep typing in my weight and I'm not losing, does the calculator adjust accordingly?
  • hawkesm
    Options
    What the site recomends is a guideline, there are a lot of variables and everyone is different.

If you are losing a pound or 2 a week, then its going to be about right, if you are losing more chances are its too low, and it may be worth tweaking your limits.

The recomendations for me seem to be about right, but I do follow the guidelines for adding food with excercise, and have been averiging 2lb a week loss.
  • wantobeslim
    Options
    565 CALORIES!!! How could anyone do that???? I do not think that is healthy at all!! I would eat the 1200.