"Exercise" not found - help!

Options
I will be working for a few days painting our kitchen (large with vaulted ceilings, so climbing, reaching, etc.). Any idea of the burn rate for something like that?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I'd only count that for fun not for exercise calories needing to be eaten. Just call it a bonus if you burn something extra those days.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    not enough to worry about
  • newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    But it is still good excercise for your muscles. You will be sore in places regular excercise, machines, weights won't make you sore so that's still a good thing. Have fun painting!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Is it over and above your 10,000 steps a day? If not just count it as regular lifestyle activity, not formal exercise. The intensity will be fairly light overall, you can't paint vigorously for hours unless you are very fit or used to it.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Is it over and above your 10,000 steps a day? If not just count it as regular lifestyle activity, not formal exercise. The intensity will be fairly light overall, you can't paint vigorously for hours unless you are very fit or used to it.
    It is only part of "regular lifestyle activity," if you do it regularly. If not then it is extra. That's the whole point...
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I will be working for a few days painting our kitchen (large with vaulted ceilings, so climbing, reaching, etc.). Any idea of the burn rate for something like that?

Take no notice of those exercise addicts!! Sounds like it's going to be a real hectic few days to me.
    I would enter it as doing step-ups and housework.
  • DropOfSweat
    Options
    If you really wanna add it, I say document it as cleaning.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options

Take no notice of those exercise addicts!! Sounds like it's going to be a real hectic few days to me.
    I would enter it as doing step routine and extra hard housework.

I agree it's exercise that counts if you're doing it for hours at a time. I use this website to estimate calories burned for energetic non-workout activities - http://caloriecount.about.com/activities-home-repair-ac6
    Painting indoors comes in at 204 calories per hour, assuming a body weight of 150lbs. I suspect that this includes the calories you would have used just by existing for that hour (your BMR calories for that hour) so it's probably best to not eat all of the extra calories you earn through decorating, or you may be double-counting. Or you could do some maths & take your BMR calories off the amount given on the website I just gave you.

Edited to add, I've been doing lots of decorating and DIY activities recently and was RAVENOUS! If you're extra active you need more fuel, simple!
  • ArtemisRuns
    ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Wow some of you guys are pretty harsh! LOL I wouldn't count it if I wasn't going to be climbing up and down a ladder all day. Teaching math to middle schoolers is not nearly so strenuous...lol Thanks for the links for resources.