Who should get a HRM?

Options
I've been thinking about getting a heart rate monitor to be more accurate when it comes to how many calories I burn daily but i'm not sure if it'd be a waste of money since I'm not a runner (weak joints). I mostly do elliptical, weight training and will start jumping rope again once I get a little better at cardio. I'd eventually like to try HIIT but not in the near future.

When did you invest on a HRM? Was it worth it?
Thanks!

Replies

• GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    The HRM is definitely worth it if you do a lot of cardio...you don't need to be a runner. I have one that has GPS because I walk/run outside but my son and sister have one that doesn't have that feature and it's great for them. It really gives you a much more accurate calorie burn for tracking purposes considering the MFP numbers are generally way off.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner - new knees so I can't do that kind of impact. I got my Polar FT4 just to make sure that when i'm doing cardio I'm getting my heart rate into the right zone and not over/under doing it. I got it about 6 months ago and was planning on wearing it a few times a week, but I find I wear it every time I work out now. I've also found that the MFP numbers are way off for calorie burn. They were fine the first few times, but whenever you change the time for a particular activity that's when the cals-burned numbers go crazy. My HRM was definitely a good investment for me.
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I think a HRM is a very useful tool for beginners. I failed in progressing so many times in the past because I worked too hard too quickly and never was able to build the cardio base that is necessary to progress. It takes 12 to 14 weeks of moderate (65%-75% max heart rate) to build a decent cardio base for beginners. It takes 6 to 8 weeks for elite athletes to regain their conditioning after an off-season. The HRM allows you to keep within this targeted area. I have been at it since early July and I can attest to how fantastic it is to progress at a measured pace and how good it feels to increase my cardio base. I would never had been able to do this without the HRM. I use a Polar H7 which I pair with my iPhone 4S and Digifit app.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Absolutely get a HRM.
    Forget about using it for weight training. They're not made for that but any cardio you do, it's a must. You won't get anywhere near accurate results from MFP or the machines you're using.

Polar is the most popular brand and they're pretty affordable.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Absolutely get a HRM.
    Forget about using it for weight training. They're not made for that but any cardio you do, it's a must. You won't get anywhere near accurate results from MFP or the machines you're using.

Polar is the most popular brand and they're pretty affordable.

Ditto! You'll love it!
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    Get it.. My elliptical says I burn way more than I actually do..

The HRM will give you a more accurate reading on what your actually burning.
  • Kap10
    Kap10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Love my HRM, get it, never regret it :-)
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Yes; deffo buy one!

I got mine with my Wahoo Bike kit & wouldn't be without it!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about getting a heart rate monitor to be more accurate when it comes to how many calories I burn daily but i'm not sure if it'd be a waste of money since I'm not a runner (weak joints). I mostly do elliptical, weight training and will start jumping rope again once I get a little better at cardio. I'd eventually like to try HIIT but not in the near future.

When did you invest on a HRM? Was it worth it?
    Thanks!

I used to use a cheap Casio watch to time my runs and take a quick bpm check and then throw the average bpm into a formula I found on the internet to work out calories <bold>probably <bold> burned over the run.

Then I bought a Polar FT4, which <bold>probably <bold> does that for me.

Frankly, not much has changed from the Casio days - my bpm are nearly always the same over a run and the calorie burn is nothing to declare really.

I'm just £40.00 poorer and I get to run with a bra strap round my chest!

Not really selling it am I?
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I initially got a Polar FT7 just to track total calorie burn for long bike rides but the whole eat all your calories back thing didn't really work for me- I think with really high numbers it kind of skews the model. Now I use a Wahoo device that connects to my cycling GPS so I can keep an eye on my heart rate during the ride and also evaluate the entire ride on the computer later but I pretty much just use it as an energy management tool- not so much a calorie counting tool.
  • Sarah1023
    Sarah1023 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Agreed!!! I think anyone participating in exercise would benefit from a HRM...now finding one for your needs is a whole different ball game lol. I have an FT4, recently purchased, and love it and it does everything I need it to...tracks cals, heart rate, time in zone, and a few other things that I prolly have not figured out yet. Good luck!
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Anyone who wants to accurately measure calorie usage needs one, in my opinion.

Before I got one I estimated my work out at about 600 calories using the machine read outs. I got given my HRM at a cut price as I got to my second assessment (after so many visits to my gym your work out is assessed and changed to keep pushing what you can do)- I had my assessment with my favourite trainer- turns out she's a bit sadistic! Anyway, the new work is much more intense and has me doing longer harder cardio sessions- therefore I should burn more calories. According to my HRM my average burn is 650-750 calories. So my earlier estimation must have been waaaay over.

In short, machines and MFP database aren't accurate yet a HRM will be.
  • dthorpe0927
    Options
    I think it is a great and useful tool. It lets you know how much you are pushing yourself. Like any exercise day there are good ones and bad ones but it will let you know if you where you are for that workout.
  • mrsgiffin
    Options
    I love my HRM!!! It is well worth the money plus you can find some that are around $100. Not bad at all to know how much you are burning!!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Everyone says HRMs are not good for weight training. WHY not? Does it say you've burned more or less? How do you know?
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry this is so long.. I LOVE having mine! It inspires me to work even harder because I can see those cals burned that are based on my age, weight, height, pulse, etc. so I know it's more accurate. I am not an average sized person (short, small boned), so it helps to have this extra tool to help me lose weight. I have a polar ft4 and it was worth every penny! It shows you when you are not 'in zone', when you're in fat burning zone, which I love and over 'fat burning' zone. That way, if your goal is to burn FAT, you can speed up or slow down to get your pulse where it needs to be for ultimate fat loss. I also peek at it when I'm feeling nauseous or weak and notice that my pulse is too high. Now I know, even without the monitor, that I need to slow down then, when before I would have ignored it, thinking it was from food, lack of food, meds or water I drank.
    I started out just walking and wasn't sure if I'd use it a lot but I use it almost daily now. I now use it for running, biking, gardening, hiking, etc. I have found out that a burn a lot more cals doing some things and a lot less doing others. For instance, fishing from shore burns a TON of calories and I thought that since I was basically just standing there, I wasn't. I knew I was exhausted after being out there all day but I had no idea. I think I burned 8-900 cals in 3-4 hrs. Also, I used it while I was sleeping to get an accurate bmr #. I found out that while I sleep, I only burn 72 calories per hour. That alone inspired me to get up off my butt and off my computer more often! It makes it easier for me to know how many cals I can have for the rest of the day and still lose weight or maintain, if that's what I want to do. (Soon, I hope! lol)
    Also, I've had mine since late last winter and plan on using it forever! It's not something I bought and then just tossed into a drawer.
  • Bufta217
    Options
    Get one!

Apart from the benefits mentioned above (more accurate calorie burn numbers) I find mine really motivational. When I'm feeling a bit tired on a run I look at it and it says '247 cals burned' or whatever, I think 'gotta make it to 300'. I like round numbers! It also gives me an idea of when I've done a lazy first half of a run, and it's time to push myself a bit harder.

I wore mine riding my horses a few times, but I think that the fact that one of my horses is a little git gives false readings - my heart rate is high because he's scaring the crap out of me (in a weordly good, enjoyable way... :tongue:), not because my muscles are working hard. It's never as high when I ride my calmer horse! The point of that little story is that HRMs are not infallible - you'll still need your own judgement on whether you've earn’t those calories!
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry this is so long.. I LOVE having mine! It inspires me to work even harder because I can see those cals burned that are based on my age, weight, height, pulse, etc. so I know it's more accurate. I am not an average sized person (short, small boned), so it helps to have this extra tool to help me lose weight. I have a polar ft4 and it was worth every penny! It shows you when you are not 'in zone', when you're in fat burning zone, which I love and over 'fat burning' zone. That way, if your goal is to burn FAT, you can speed up or slow down to get your pulse where it needs to be for ultimate fat loss. I also peek at it when I'm feeling nauseous or weak and notice that my pulse is too high. Now I know, even without the monitor, that I need to slow down then, when before I would have ignored it, thinking it was from food, lack of food, meds or water I drank.
    I started out just walking and wasn't sure if I'd use it a lot but I use it almost daily now. I now use it for running, biking, gardening, hiking, etc. I have found out that a burn a lot more cals doing some things and a lot less doing others. For instance, fishing from shore burns a TON of calories and I thought that since I was basically just standing there, I wasn't. I knew I was exhausted after being out there all day but I had no idea. I think I burned 8-900 cals in 3-4 hrs. Also, I used it while I was sleeping to get an accurate bmr #. I found out that while I sleep, I only burn 72 calories per hour. That alone inspired me to get up off my butt and off my computer more often! It makes it easier for me to know how many cals I can have for the rest of the day and still lose weight or maintain, if that's what I want to do. (Soon, I hope! lol)
    Also, I've had mine since late last winter and plan on using it forever! It's not something I bought and then just tossed into a drawer.

Well said, it is amazing how much you can learn about your heart rate and metabolic response by using a HRM. After using mine for the last 5 months, I am starting to be able to feel where my heart rate is even before I look at the monitor. A HRM monitor gives real meaning to interval training and recovery time. It has been critical for me to learn to run. I used to immediately blow my heart rate way to high way to quickly and never could get a rhythm. With a HRM and a little patience, I have been able to not only start running but begin to progress nicely.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I'm also curious as to why the HRM isn't accurate for weight training. Can someone explain this aspect? Thanks!:smile:

I've worn some model of the Polar HRM for about 10 years now. And like many of my friends, I wouldn't want to work out without my HRM!

I'm not sure if it actually saved my life, but it did make myself and my doctor aware of a heart issue. I've been working out for about 20 years and 2 years ago, I was at the gym doing intervals on the elliptical machine. My heart rate jumped up to about 215 and stayed there for a few minutes. I continued on the machine but at a lower intensity, trying to gradually bring it down. After 5 minutes, it jumped back to a normal number for me. Long story, but it turns out I have an irregular heart rhythm and am now on a low dose medication to keep it in check.

So yes, buy a heart rate monitor!
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Everyone says HRMs are not good for weight training. WHY not? Does it say you've burned more or less? How do you know?

A HRM won't give you an accurate idea of how many calories you burn during strength training, because the relationship between heart rate and calorie expenditure is not the same during strength training as during cardio exercise, which is what the HRM's estimate is based on. Unless your weight training is very vigorous circuit training, the heart rate monitor will be overestimating your calorie burn by a fair amount.

The problem is a technical one. Calorie burning isn't determined by heart rate, it's determined by the number of muscle cells that are activated to perform a given activity. It's the working cells that actually use the energy (calories) and consume oxygen. When working muscle cells need more energy and oxygen, your heart rate goes up to deliver these things to the cells via the blood stream.

Any muscle that performs a high intensity or maximum effort (strength training) will trigger an increase in heart rate and blood flow. But if only a single muscle group is on the receiving end to utilize that extra oxygen (doing a strength exercise that isolates your biceps, for example), only a relatively small amount of oxygen (and calories) will actually be consumed.

So while a series of strength training exercises may elevate your heart rate like aerobic exercise does, you're not actually using as much oxygen and burning as many calories as you would be if you were steadily using several large muscles all at once, as when walking, running, swimming, or doing aerobics for example.

The heart rate monitor doesn’t know whether your increase in heart rate is due to several large muscle groups working (cardio), an isolated muscle group lifting a weight (strength training), or even if adrenaline or excitement is increasing your heart rate. It just knows your heart rate, and the formulas it uses to estimate calories are based on studies of aerobic exercise, not other activities. So, it's going to overestimate your calorie expenditure when the rise in heart rate is stimulated by using isolated muscles at maximum intensity, which is what occurs during strength training.

BTW... This article was written by Dean Anderson, Certified Personal Trainer