Just getting started

Options
Hi, I just started about a week ago. MFP has been very eye opening to me, but I could use some additional ideas and support. I am at the heaviest point in my life and don't seem to be able to break through the "fat barrier". Obesity runs in my family, as does heart disease, diabetes, stroke and other weight related problems. My goal is to lower my cholesterol and weight, implement a healthy life style and feel & look better.

Replies

• 1ocean1girl
    1ocean1girl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! You are at the right place for support, new ideas about being healthy and surrounded by people with the same goal. Feel free to add me :happy:
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Hi welcome :). Step one: track what you eat. Use a kitchen scale and measuring cups and spoons so that you are very accurate. This is the only habit I have been consistent with and I feel ferry confident and successful because if it! You can add me too, my diary is open.
  • vbarrient
    vbarrient Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You can do it. Add me as a friend if you would like. Take care.

Val
  • green022
    green022 Posts: 115
    Options
    It's awesome that your getting started! Way to go and good luck to you!
  • ladyonaquest
    ladyonaquest Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just started about a week ago. MFP has been very eye opening to me, but I could use some additional ideas and support. I am at the heaviest point in my life and don't seem to be able to break through the "fat barrier". Obesity runs in my family, as does heart disease, diabetes, stroke and other weight related problems. My goal is to lower my cholesterol and weight, implement a healthy life style and feel & look better.

^^
    I know exactly how you feel! You sound just like me the very first week of MFP. I can say this, if you stick to it and just enjoy how much better you are feeling each day, the better this process will be. I started and failed so many times because I was sooooo busy worrying about what the scale said. This time around I'm enjoying the extra energy, the not feeling terrible after a meal, not being ashamed to be seen in public, and how much better I feel after a workout! When I began to just focus on my emotional feelings, the physical changes started to appear! What I'm saying is, just enjoy the healthy lifestyle you want to live and soon the way you feel on the inside, will be what you see on the outside! Feel free to add me as a friend! I went back to day and read my blog that I wrote my second day on MFP and even though I still have a good ways to go on this journey, I've already accomplished everything in that post! You are worth this and it can be done!
  • amypomm
    amypomm Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You can add me if you want :)
  • gulgali82
    gulgali82 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi i want to loose weight because i am going by PCOS and have to loose weight i am pure vegetarian.share weigth loose tips
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this for all the same reasons you are. I've lost 11.5 pounds so far and have 32 more to go. I find that if I keep a calorie range of about 1300-1500 (I'm short) of healthy foods 90% of the time and exercise 3-4 a week, I do just fine without making myself crazy with the details. I don't believe any particular food or food group is bad. I eat all things in moderation and even treat myself on occasion. I'm losing slowly but surely. I'm seeing and feeling positive changes in my body. You'll hear a lot of advice from opposite sides of the spectrum here. Read it all and use common sense.

My best advice is educate yourself. Do some good quality research and figure what's best for you at your size, height and whatever. A couple of good sites to look at are:

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/
    http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php

Good luck to you. Don't give up no matter how little progress you think you are seeing. It will happen. Sometimes things have to change on the inside before they start to change on the outside.
  • Serenitypath
    Options
    You can add me if you want. I started MFP not too long ago, but weight loss goals years ago--finally getting there!
  • Susan823
    Susan823 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I signed up almost 2 years ago and was doing great for a while not sure what happened. I'm trying again to stick with using this site and to stick to healthier eating habits. Good luck to all!
  • Kristinam921
    Kristinam921 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step! Well guess what you just took your first step!! You can do it!
  • oneblumsy
    oneblumsy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    thank you to everyone for the support, encouragement and friend requests!