How often do/should you weigh yourself?

Options
When trying to lose weight I become a little obsessed about what that scale says. Its disappointing to have a really good day eating and exercising then see that number jump up a bit. How often do you weight yourself?

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    How often do I?

Every day.

How often should you?

You never have to. The numbers on the scale really don't mean *kitten*.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819715-for-the-ladies

Give that thread a good read. You'll see what I mean.
  • cajungirltx
    cajungirltx Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Once a week on Fridays:smile:
  • kimbolay7
    kimbolay7 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself monthly, I know it's not for everyone but works for me! :) I also take my measurements and have comparison photos to help compare my weight loss. Photos really help me! :) Good luck on your journey!
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    once a week... in the morning.
  • BeanCounter3
    BeanCounter3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    daily...in the morning, same time every day, after bathroom & before food, also sans clothes...
  • jilleebean777
    jilleebean777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I get scale obsessed. I used to do it every day. I got so worked up with even a little gain (and I knew and know that weight fluctuates day to day). So now I weigh once a week (unless the dr is involved) with a friend and she keeps the scale in the trunk of her car (I do not own one).
  • kimberlyrachelle
    Options
    I try to only weigh once a week, maybe twice a week...I only log my weight loss if I see the number twice on the scale. Too much disappointment when I lose a lb just by fluctuation.
  • pipeman1012
    Options
    What works for me is weighing myself once a week. I usually do it on Saturdays. I'm a mma fight fan, so I treat it like a weigh-in. It is always after I've had breakfast, worked out and right before I re-hydrate myself. That way I get an accurate reading. Then, of course, I take a shower. :)
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every single day.... in the morning, before shower or breakfast. I also do the same at night before bed to see how the day treated me, but it's the morning weight I log. It might be a little obsessive but it works for me. No matter what that scale says, it motivates me, either to give myself a big high five, or to decide that maybe I should do a little more walking. I don't throw and aneurysm if I gain a half a pound. I know if I've stuck to my regime that half pound is probably water weight. Other people weigh in less often. Some do it once a week on the same day. Truly, whatever makes YOU feel comfortable is fine.

And that night time occasional weigh in that I do.... it's never been more than a pound more than it had been in the morning.
  • marianim35
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week in the morning. I try not to obsess but sometimes I get on the scale 2x a week
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I was weighing every week, then every 2, now I am waiting a month until I weigh myself... I need to stop obsessing with the scale and focus more on how my clothes fit and how definition may or may not be coming into my body
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Every time I go to the gym or pool -- so sometimes four times a week, sometimes three. It depends. But I record every number.

I know weight loss isn't linear, so I care about the overall trend lines, and not the actual number. I'm also in this for the long haul, with a goal to lose only .4 pounds a week. It's been slow (I was doing well until Thanksgiving -- sodium sucks, as apparently does losing three days at the gym), but I'm seeing a good trend in the right direction. And I've lost an inch off my hips and my waist in the mean time. Those things are what really matter to me.
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, but I don't get upset or discouraged by the little gains and fluctuations. I mostly do it for interest...I like to see the patterns in my weight loss and notice the patterns in the fluctuations depending on where I am in my cycle and stuff. I'm kind of a nerd like that :wink:
  • MicheleNaame
    MicheleNaame Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself once a week...and I do it at the gym. I don't have a scale at home otherwise I will become obsessed with the number.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Every other day
  • youngblood_2010
    Options
    Granted I'm here to track calories and get decent strength training tips, but I've stopped weighing myself altogether. As long as I stay under/at my calories and do my exercise, I feel like I can trust the system.

As long as my pants continue to fit, I'm not getting on the scale.
  • ElleM0
    ElleM0 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I weigh morning and night - daily ; however, I take a "legit log" on Sundays. :smile:
  • youngblood_2010
    Options
    I take a "legit log" on Sundays. :smile:

are you constipated the other 6 days?
  • Poetry_In_Pics
    Options
    I take my weight once a week... I used to weigh every day, but whenever I saw a small gain it made me feel badly & caused me to make poor food choices. My belief is that once a week should give a pretty good picture of where you're standing number wise... but don't neglect to consider the more important factors (i.e. how do you feel? are your clothes fitting loosely? how is your energy level? etc...)
  • sarahdkurtz
    sarahdkurtz Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I take a "legit log" on Sundays. :smile:

are you constipated the other 6 days?

Bawhahaha!