what is considered exercise??

Options
I've been trying to search the data base for daily activities such as laundry, vacuuming, shuttling the kids around, etc. but I'm having no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions or are these activities not included in what I should be doing to reach my exercise goals?

Replies

• keymaster4281
    Options
    I believe exercise is getting your heart rate to 75% of its max for at least 20 minutes. Cardio... Daily activities are goood but not considered exercise. Why do we see overwieght postal workers walking a route of at least 5 miles per day? Because they are walking and stopping, walking and stopping. They are not getting into cardio workout range. I hope this helps... Good Luck!
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I just did a search and it would be under 'cleaning' for these activities. Its not really exercise though. Try doing something cardio that gets your heartrate going. It doesn't have to be for hours....just 20-30 minutes will help! :)
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    Exercise to me is defined as any activity that is in addition to your regular routine. Routine housework and chore should be counted in your daily activity level (sedentary, lightly active, etc). If I go shopping for 5 hours, that burns cal and I log it exercise. If I run to the grocery store for 15 min, I don't count it as exercise. If I walk the dog every day for a mile, I would include that in my daily activity level. if I make it point to take the dog to the park and we walk an additional 3 miles, I would count it as exercise. Not all exercise has to get your heart rate up to a certain level (although this is preferred for cardiac conditioning.) When I started, I frequently took long walks or did light aerobics that did not get my heart rate up and I still lost weight. Good luck with exercising.
  • SarahJoy_79
    SarahJoy_79 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I think those activities you are listing are more of lifestyle activities which would be considered when entering your activity level when setting your calorie goal. I wouldn't consider them really exercise. As previously stated, exercise is more when you are getting your heart rate up for a sustained amount of time and really making your body work out of a comfort level.
  • tlalt73
    Options
    I will have to disagree; postal workers are getting exercise it is what they are eating that makes them obese. You might as well single out the police, firefighters, and every other professions out there. I work for a health insurance company and daily chores are a form of exercise. Saying such ignorant and factless statement may put someone off to even just a little physical activity. Some of us take what we can to burn the few extra calories!
    per www.dictionary.com
    exercise; bodily or mental exertion, esp. for the sake of training or improvement of health: Walking is good exercise.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    All the people I know that are thin and in good shape do not count every day chores, etc. as exercise. They go out and do actual cardio, weight lifting, etc.
  • rprescot2
    Options
    :flowerforyou: thanks for all the insight
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    To qualify as aerobic activity, you need to get have a sustained raised heart rate. When weight lifting, your heart heart rate does not generally go up so the definitions given earlier would make weight lifting non exercise. We all know that weight lifting is exercise. Weight lifting generally is an anaerobic activity and that's why the calorie burn is much lower than with aerobic activities.

I agree with tlat73 on the definition of exercise. I chose to set my daily activity level to "Sedentary" and then count the things that I do during the day as exercise. My days vary dramatically from one to the next and it motivates me to put things in the exercise box. It is a choice you make if you want to include the other things in you daily activity level and rate yourself as "Active". I also feel that it is important to encourage everyone on this board to do as much as possible in a positive way. Any activity for an out of shape person is great, even if it doesn't raise their heart rate.
  • kristin1781
    kristin1781 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think it is important to differentiate between exercising for weight loss, and exercising for conditioning, whether it be strength or aerobic. Back in the fall I was playing 6-8 hours a week of tennis, and my overall aerobic conditioning drastically improved, but since I wasn't making any effort to watch what I ate, and in fact was "rewarding" myself with sodas, desserts, etc...I didn't see much of a change in my weight. My clothes started to fit better and I toned up in places, but my weight essentially stayed the same. After a nasty bout of shin splints, I was pretty much had to stop playing. Since I work ten hour shifts at a job where I sit in front of the computer all day, I was pretty worried about finding time to fit in what I considered exercise. Go figure, I didn't feel like spending an hour at the gym after 10 hours at work :)
    I bought a pedometer and started walking during my breaks and lunch hour, and parking really far away. I'm now averaging 5-6 miles per day, and counting my calories, and I've been amazed that I was able to make so much progress. I don't ever get to walk for longer than 20 minutes at a time, but it adds up, even if my heart rate isn't racing.
    I still make time on the weekends for more vigorous exercise, but that is purely for aerobic conditioning. Sorry for the long story, I hope this helps. Try not to be discouraged. ANY activity where you are up and moving is better than just sitting still.