Pumping Mamas (breastmilk, that is)

Options
Hi, I am currently pumping breastmilk to donate after losing my daughter a couple weeks ago...I was wondering if there is anyone else who pumps, and how do you count those calories? I know there is a ml/oz option if I search foods, but do you find the 20 calorie/ounce is accurate, or do you use the 15 calorie/ounce, or do you just use a set amount each day no matter how much you pump (20 vs 25oz for example)? Basically my question is which option seems more accurate?

Replies

• sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Oh, I am so sorry for your loss. You must have been heart broken.

Not sure how much calories, but I am BFing and they say we spent around 300 calories just to produce milk.

And you are doing a great job donating milk.
  • danilynn2
    danilynn2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am so very sorry for your loss.

It is such a great thing to are doing by donating and helping another baby have a healthy start with breast milk.

prayers for you!
  • darisey
    darisey Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    20cal per ounce seems to be pretty standard but I always slightly underestimate exercise(or breastfeeding) and slightly overestimate food intake so I would count it as 15cal per ounce to give you a little wiggle room.
  • sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    i add 500 cals for breastfeeding to my nighttime snack everyday since that's how much it is reccommended that you eat over. i don't do it by the ounce. i am pumping due to my son having latching problems so i do know how much i get every day but never thought to count the cals from each oz and prob wont. just doing the 500 cals a day is working. it may be different if you are pumping only two or three times a day but i am pumping every 3 hrs 6-8 oz at a time.
  • Virginia90
    Virginia90 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies

I might just use the 15cal/oz then for my pumped milk, then 200 for what my toddler nurses during the day...I am finding I can't pump as regularly as I'd like with my husband gone back to work, so yesterday I only pumped 3 times for 24 ounces, whereas on a weekend I might get 5-8 pumps in...I just don't want to overestimate calories, or underestimate and jeopardize my supply. It's a tough balance.
  • emilynw10
    Options
    I'd don't have any idea, but I just wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss :(

kellymom.com says breastfeeding mothers need 300-500 extra calories depending on how often they nurse (exclusively, part-time, etc). I add 300 calories to my day even though my baby is still like 95% breastfed to underestimate. I would probably do that if I were you... but like I said, I really don't know how pumping is.
  • marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have had 4 babies and 3 are living. I breastfed the 3 living children and my milk never came in (thankfully) with my daughter i lost. I am so sorry and what a grand thing to do in your child's memory because that milk will help so many babies.
    Anyway, it burns roughly 20 calories to make one ounce of milk.
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss. Few things in this world are worse than losing a child.
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss, and many prayers & thoughts for you and your family. Your strength is extraordinary.

It does depend on how much you pump and some say 300-500 calories.
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    wow. you are amazing.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Your question has already been answered, i just want to say... I'm so very sorry for your loss and you are an amazing woman to pump and donate after loss. Thank you for doing that for those in need through your grief. :heart: