PCOS Support Needed!! Wanting to get pregant

Options
I am trying to lose weight for pregnancy. Doc said 200 lbs was a safe weight but I want to be under that if possible, but I also have other issues effecting my ability to lose weight and need support with. I have PCOS, Polycycstic Ovarian Syndrome, which causes you to gain weight and makes it that much harder to lose weight, which also gave me insulin resistance and pre-diabedic so I already have to watch my carbs closely. My other issues include my Bi-Polar / depression / anxiety, which all the medicines I take side effects of weight gain. At 16 I weighed and looked my best at 130 lbs. Ever since I got diagnosed with mental issues and put on meds to correct It's been a non-stop road of gaining weight. I'm now 32 and weight almost 300 lbs. I not only want to lose the weight but I Need to lose the weight. I have along battle ahead of me and I'm ready to fight for it!! I just lack the motivation and the will power to make myself exercise and stick to it. I lost 40 lbs a couple of years ago just by walking 45 minutes for 4 days a week but once I quit walking I gained it all back and more. So Yes I need motivation friends and support!!

Replies

• miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into Metformin at all? It can help with the insulin resistance. It can also help regulate your cycle, if you have that problem. Mine went from non-existant to normal once I was on the right dosage.
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have had two miscarriages and two successful pregnancies. The two miscarriages were without any fertility treatment, the two successful pregnancies resulted from fertility treatment. I took Metformin and also had to take hormone shots. Both rounds of treatment were successful the very first time!
  • Kristen508
    Options
    Yes I am on Metforman. It helps but dosn't seem to help me lose weight.. I know my problem is not exercising and need to get to it LOL!! But need support
  • samzchevy
    samzchevy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where you are coming from. I too have been diagnosed with PCOS and wanting to get pregnant. I have about 65lbs to lose to get at a good weight. Not only to get pregnant but to myself in better health. i have been off and on with my journey but Im feeling very motivated to loss this weight! I started using MFP and it helps with tracking the calories. Sometimes its better if you see it "writing" to actually see how many calories you use. I joined a gym so I try to go about 3x a week--however, this week hasnt been a good week for me. Hopefully to get back at it tomorrow!!! Feel Free to add me! :smile:
  • tenajh
    tenajh Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    `Would be happy to support you, but before you accept my friend request, please understand I will hold you accountable for your actions. I expect no less from my friends. I have recently went off over 30 meds. My Dr wasn't happy but understood. I had to wean off many of them and started seeing a holistic chiropractor. So far I am amazed at my mental clarity and strength. I have multiple ailments as well. If you are confident in yourself, you will succeed.
  • Stacyplus5
    Options
    Once you start loseing the weight a lot of your symptoms will get better. I had other fertility problems not pcos,but I had 6 miscarriages and 2 late-term fetal loss. After meds, shots I have 5 children. They can also do ovarian drilling which helps the eggs pop out of the ovary. Good luck and a good specialized gyno is the best source of info.
  • cloe31
    cloe31 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I was able to get pregnant with PCOS. My naturopath said that your waist needs to be less than 34 inches, that is the waist size that a woman's hormones seem to regulate at, and she was right. Also you need to work out and do heavy lifting.
    Follow this website it will help you the amount of calories you need to eat to lose weight safely.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

You can add me if you want I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Also go to gokaleo.com She was able to lose weight without doing low carbs and she also have PCOS.
  • threeohtwo
    threeohtwo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I could write you a book girl. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 16. I am also insulin resistant. If you haven't heard of the insulin resistance diet you could check it out. I hear people have had a lot of success with it. I can't eat like that but it's super good for you. It's nothing crazy. The premise is pairing protein with your carbs for a slower absorption into the bloodstream so you aren't having a lot of blood sugar spikes throughout the day.

I don't know what you know about insulin resistance but here it goes: insulin acts like a key to unlock your cells so that glucose (sugar - broken down food) can enter your cells. Yours doesn't work properly so your body just keeps producing more and more insulin even though it doesn't need it. When the glucose doesn't go into the cells and it's not all used up it is stored as fat.

The biggest and I mean biggest key for me for losing weight with PCOS/insulin resistance has been exercise. When you exercise your body uses the energy that is readily available. If that is glucose that is floating around in your system it will use that. This means it will NOT be stored as fat.

Working out, for me, is better than eating 1200 calories a day. If I workout I lose more weight on 1500-1700 than I do eating 1200.

Are you on Metformin? It's a bear on the stomach but it also will help.

Anxiety and depression go hand in hand with PCOS. I'm not saying that you have depression because of it I'm saying there is a correlation. Working out will help with that as well. I also take B vitamins that help as well. I stopped taking my anxiety medication because of side effects other than weight gain but many people successfully lose weight while taking these medications.

Please feel free to message me if you have any questions at all. It's not about willpower. It's about having a clear-cut plan that you are satisfied with so you don't have to deviate. At one point in my life I weighed over 300 pounds. I now weight 279 (got as low as 250 at one point).

You want a baby more than you want a donut. I know it. :)
  • ehmadore
    ehmadore Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from PCOS and endometriosis. I've had 2 surgeries and tried Clomid. All unsuccesful...all I gained was weight! Hoping that losing weight will help but I'm not getting any younger :/
  • Harriann84
    Options
    I have PCOS, endometriosis and an introverted womb, I was told I would NEVER conceive naturally by a vile Gynaecologist. I caught and miscarried my first, my second pregnancy resulted in my daughter. I was very lucky, here in the UK, they have refused me Metformin because I am not actively trying to conceive again. I am now regulating my sugar levels by following a low GI (Glycaemic Index) diet, loosely. I am more towards the Slimming World side of my diet, but still have to be careful because I suffer from IBS. (If I were a horse, I'd be glue!)

Weight loss does help, but reducing stress can also. I can't give any advice on how to catch, I really don't know how the hell I managed it (well, I do, but you know what I mean.)

Sending you masses of hugs honey. You will do this xx