sore elbow joints when/after lifting

This question is for my fiance, actually...

He does P90X and lifts heavy, but in the past 6 monthes or so he has been having issues with his joints hurting, specifically his elbow. Is there something he can do to prevent this?

Perhaps he is lifting wrong? Although he claims he is not.

He's taking some kind of joint supplement currently, but I'm not sure that is working too well. At least not yet.

Replies

• nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    I get tennis elbow in my left elbow and I have been lifting heavy since July...um, no, I don't know what can stop the pain...just resting usually does (days off lifting) I take glucosamine every day already, don't know if this helps or not, it is supposed to...*shrug*
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    it depends on what movements specifically cause pain.

it could be a tendon issue which might require a change in form, rest, anti inflammatories, etc

Hard to tell whats going on without knowing what he's doing. Tendonitis can get really painful, so he may just need to dial things back for a bit.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    He might be able to fix the issue my modifying his form, but I'm not familiar with the lifts done in p90x
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    He might be able to fix the issue my modifying his form, but I'm not familiar with the lifts done in p90x

This.

If he's squatting and benching it's quite possible tendonitis in his elbow or biceps cause by bad form.
    I had a lot of trouble with my biceps until I learned how to properly set my squats up
  • WhoButME28
    WhoButME28 Posts: 63 Member
    Besides what's already been said about form, which is crucial is most exercises especially for smaller body parts (arms, calves, etc.), you may want to look into Glucosamine. Great supplement that aims to restore the joints
  • MrsBailey149
    MrsBailey149 Posts: 248 Member
    Thanks! I'll pass this information on to him.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Is he doing any kind of tricep extension? If so, cut them out now and also do what ilovedeadlifts and others have said regarding form. Odds are he will need some time off from pressing exercises especially to get past this. I had tennis elbow a couple months ago and it f'in killed my bench press and shoulder press and I just had to stop for about two weeks.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Sounds like a repetitive stress injury or tendonitis. I would ice the elbows after a workout, and take an anti-inflamatory for pain.

Also, take glucosamine regularly.
  • Hi there,

Have your Fiancee take multivitamins and omega 3 fish oils daily..also make sure he is training with correct form. Have him drop the amount of weight he's lifting and gradually work his way back up. nutrition is very important. good luck lady
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    1600 mg ibuprofen
  • MrsBailey149
    MrsBailey149 Posts: 248 Member
    He does take fish oil too, at least on most days.

He does take something for the pain/inflammation on some days but the pain is nearly every time he lifts, so he's not going to constantly pop pills.

I"ll talk to him and show him the comments. Thanks for your help!
  • Heather1899
    Heather1899 Posts: 179 Member
    I have this problem too!!
    Started Chalene extreme and bought some heavier weights (only used up to 15 pounds though) and in the 3rd phase, Lean Phase, my left elbow started hurting.
    When I was a kid, I broke that arm. Really broke it, they had to put the bone back together. I have no problems with it, I recovered fine but I figured that maybe that is just something that won't work with my arm. That because I broke it badly, maybe I can't lift or it is too much for that elbow?
    So I postponed Chalene Extreme. I am starting it again, but I am using the Red Band I got with my Turbo Fire package. It is probably lighter than the dumbbells I was using...but it doesn't hurt anymore!!
    If not lifting heavy means my elbows don't hurt...I think I will have to do this. Sorry to everyone who loves to lift heavy!! I just don't want to push my elbow too much and have bigger problems later...:/
  • I used to get tennis elbow when I was doing skull crushers wrong.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    I can almost guarantee you it's his form that caused it (likely because he's lifting too heavy and compensating) but to heal it he's got to rest it for a while. Rest it until it does hurt from just moving it. Then slowly introduce very light weights while ensuring proper form and stopping at the very first sign of any soreness. Slowly over a few weeks continue to increase the weights back to normal.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Maybe he should see an exercise therapist or some sort of doctor specializing in that area. My mom had a job for 20 years that involved lifting (Similar to bicep curls and also carrying 4ft tall pails of water). She was very strong & also lifted weights (With good form) but she began getting pain in her elbow. She would wear a brace, and keep working. Tough it out.

Eventually the pain got bad enough that she had to quit her job and stop lifting weights. A doctor determined that her elbow was inflamed and had a lot of overuse/damage. She had to get a Cortizone shot in her elbow (Very painful) & will probably have to get one every few years. But the pain never completely goes away, she still wears braces to go grocery shopping or when lifting things. She can no longer weight lift though.

Have a professional look at it in case he is doing damage or getting tennis elbow! I know other young people who have to get Cortizone shots because of joint damage :/
  • whats up. ask him if its his bones like a bone pain. if it is he may be overtrainning. i was doin p90x then the cross fit wod, i didnt realize my body was breaking down. been on thew shelf for about 10 days ,hopefully back in the saddle tommorrrow just doing p90x and adding stretching instead of crossfit and jump rope routine. if i sound crazy atleast loook up overtrainning on web