I'm stuck and need help

Options
I was losing consistantly for about 5 weeks but the last two weeks my weight has not moved. i am walking 6 days a week for 20-25 minutes and I am always a little under in calories. I add in the exercise calories and actually look forward to adding the extra calories but I don't use every one of them. (ex. yesterday i had 140 left) I have read blogs about not loggin excerise and tricking your body, I have also seen posting about uping calories to trick your body..... I really need some suggestions because I'm committed to this and I don't want to get discouraged or be doing something that is not helping but hurting!

Any suggestions????

Replies

• karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    When you say you are under, what are you under? the 1200? or under using your excercise calories?
  • bostonmia
    bostonmia Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    First off don't get discouraged, plateauing is the hardest part, but once you overcome it you'll feel great. So I'm not really sure that this calculator takes into account an updated BMR. As you lose weight you will actually need less calories per day then when you started. So I would suggest recalculating your BMR at your new body weight and use that as measurement for how many calories you should be intaking/day. Also, you really should think about kicking up your cardio routine. If you are only doing Long slow distance days, as in walking at about the same pace the entire 20-25 minutes each day you might platuea there as well. Switch it up, try intervals, repitition and my favorites fartlek training (basically you go at all different speeds at all different inclines for varying amounts of time). Let me know if you need any other advise or have questions :) wish you the best!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would suggest changing up your workout routine, instead of walking try jogging, or add strength training, or use the elliptical. After doing the same exercise for a period of time your body gets used to it and burns less calories for the same movements. You need to shock your system with something new. Good luck
  • helenhaas
    Options
    When I say under I mean with calories from exercise! I want the extra calories so I exercise but then I don't use all the extras... I think I will try adding different ways of burning fat.... I have Billy Blanks boot camp and some others I can try in between the walking. So you don't think I need to up my calories to 1350 instead of 1200??? Maybe I will try Bostonmia's suggestion and recalculate my BMR....thanks everyone :)
  • helenhaas
    Options
    Ok, quick question.....I want to make sure I understand you BMR. I calculated it and it came out to 1490and as I understand that is the calories needs with no activity. So, here is the question....If I am taking in 1200 without exercise maybe 1300 with activity is that enough????? I just not sure I know how to determine the right amount I need....
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    hi helen, you should know, it's very normal for someone only looking to lose a relatively small amount not to see progress for a few weeks (even up to a month or so), so I wouldn't let two weeks discourage you. Second, I'm not sure what you're looking for help with, but in order for us to really give any intelligeble advice, we really need to know more about your goals, statistics, and strategies.

For instance, I know you're 37, looking to lose about 15 lbs (more) and are walking for about 25 minutes a day, but I don't know what your goal deficit is, I don't know what your weight is, or your height, or your body fat percent either. I don't know if you have any medical conditions that would preclude you from more strenuous exercise than walking, or whether you eat an RDA diet or maybe do low carb.

All of these things play a roll, and without knowing most of them, any answers you get from us will really just be guesses without any real justification or reasoning behind them.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    First off don't get discouraged, plateauing is the hardest part, but once you overcome it you'll feel great. So I'm not really sure that this calculator takes into account an updated BMR. As you lose weight you will actually need less calories per day then when you started. So I would suggest recalculating your BMR at your new body weight and use that as measurement for how many calories you should be intaking/day. Also, you really should think about kicking up your cardio routine. If you are only doing Long slow distance days, as in walking at about the same pace the entire 20-25 minutes each day you might platuea there as well. Switch it up, try intervals, repitition and my favorites fartlek training (basically you go at all different speeds at all different inclines for varying amounts of time). Let me know if you need any other advise or have questions :) wish you the best!!

It does not take anything into account. it's a "dumb" goals wizard. It doesn't care if you only need to lose 10 lbs, if you tell it you want to lose 2 lbs a week, even with a female Body Fat % of say 15% it would still try to give you a 1000 calorie deficit. It's my only real bugaboo with this site, I've been a member for over 2 years, and it still drives me a little nuts.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Not sure I can help Helen but you look beautiful in your profile picture :smile: I wish you luck.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Ok, quick question.....I want to make sure I understand you BMR. I calculated it and it came out to 1490and as I understand that is the calories needs with no activity. So, here is the question....If I am taking in 1200 without exercise maybe 1300 with activity is that enough????? I just not sure I know how to determine the right amount I need....

Without knowing your other numbers (height, weight, activity level...etc.), I can only guess, but if your picture is recent, and you are only looking to lose 15 lbs or so, then being under your BMR is not a good idea IMHO. Personally I would tell you to have a body fat % test done, that's a much more accurate way for a non-obese person to judge where their weight should be, not by weight.
  • helenhaas
    Options
    FYI; thanks aes14 for the compliment but my profile pic is what I want to look like! It is kind of my goal pic!! I was around 140 in that pic.. i am currently 165 and 5'8. My BMI is 25 and according to this site my BMR should be around 1450 or so. I don't have any medical issues, I have alot of diabetics in my family so I'm hoping by taking care of myself I will not get it as I get older. i am lifting 4 days a week about 20 pounds just to tone my arms and 50 pounds on the legs. I have a computer job so the activity level is not high during the day.... so i really need the exercise to help the weight come off! I have an appointment with a dietitian but I have gone before and they are very driven by this many carbs and proteins and counting this many for each meal and I really don't want to have to focus on that to eat a meal. I like this site for simpicity.... I lost on weight watchers and also learned a great deal about quality foods and good fats but I want something I can live by without the counting!! Get to a goal of 150-155 and stay there..... I guess I'm just expecting it to come off quick and I know it takes longer when you don't have alot to loss....It feels like alot to me but I guess I just got to ride it out... I just want to make sure I'm sabotaging myself by eating to many calories or not enough! I am going to try increasing my workouts (more intense). Thanks guys for the replies..
  • JustAmy
    JustAmy Posts: 291
    Options
    Hi Helen, we really do have a lot in common! Height, goal weight and I have a desk/computer job too :) Let's get to that 150 this year!! :drinker: