Random Rant

Options
Who in their right mind wants to be FAT???? Seriously? Every woman wants to look sexy, feel slim and trim and be able to put on a pair of jeans without busting the damn seams. Every man wants to be fit and have a pair of guns lol.

So, why is it so hard for us to put the cake or the burger down even when we truly don't want to be fat? IDK...

Replies

• DrinkWine
    DrinkWine Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    AMEN!!!
  • JustAmy
    JustAmy Posts: 291
    Options
    GREAT POST!!:drinker: :drinker: thank you!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Who in their right mind wants to be FAT???? Seriously? Every woman wants to look sexy, feel slim and trim and be able to put on a pair of jeans without busting the damn seams. Every man wants to be fit and have a pair of guns lol.

So, why is it so hard for us to put the cake or the burger down even when we truly don't want to be fat? IDK...

Instant gratification.

The cake tastes good now. Immediate pleasure.

The jeans.... well we aren't concerned about how we look in them when that piece of cake is in front of us.

:frown:
  • JaneanAriel
    JaneanAriel Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I find that when I eat something that's on the "bad list" I have that I'll eat and I don't Care Attitude and as soon as the stupid piece of whatever is gone I feel like crap. I hate feeling like that so I'm trying to teach myself it's really not worth it!
  • oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    well, for me, it's ease and immediate satisfaction.:tongue::tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

it seems a lot easier (and more enjoyable?) to spend a day sitting in my jammies, watching movies and eating ice cream, chips and drinking wine (:laugh: :laugh: what a combo:laugh: :laugh: )
    than to get up, put on workout garb, work out for 1-2 hours, shower, drink 8 gallons of water, etc....:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    at least i know i have days where i feel like that.:cry::cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
  • BADGIRLstl
    BADGIRLstl Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Old habits! Hell I'm tired of being tired. I would rather work out than sit and drink 8 glasses of water a day....LOL
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    It's a matter of "time preference", and it's a common part of human behavior.

Foolish people spend, thoughtful people save - cause spending's fun right now and saving's better in 5 years.
    Foolish people park right by the store, thoughtful people park further away - 'cause fools wanna be in the store right now.
    Foolish people snack on a 2 pack of Twinkies, thoughtful people snack on a banana - 'cause Twinkies are sweet and yummy right now, and the healthy snack rewards you in 3 months when your pants get loose.

It takes a while to train yourself to think longer term, to give up what you want at the moment to get what you REALLY want, but it can be done.
  • Jenna423
    Jenna423 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hallelujah. I'm struggling with that also, I have very little will power no matter how bad I want something.. especially when it comes to losing weight. Its hard to refuse the brownies when your DH is eating them one right after the other right in front of you. :mad: And of course it doesn't affect his weight. So frustrating!
  • NykkieC
    NykkieC Posts: 622 Member
    Options

Foolish people spend, thoughtful people save - cause spending's fun right now and saving's better in 5 years.
    Foolish people park right by the store, thoughtful people park further away - 'cause fools wanna be in the store right now.
    Foolish people snack on a 2 pack of Twinkies, thoughtful people snack on a banana - 'cause Twinkies are sweet and yummy right now, and the healthy snack rewards you in 3 months when your pants get loose.

It takes a while to train yourself to think longer term, to give up what you want at the moment to get what you REALLY want, but it can be done.

I absolutely love this! I think I will print this out for later motivation. Great post, Casper.
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    Vicious circle? Unhappy being fat = eating to quell unhappiness = staying fat....
  • JaneanAriel
    JaneanAriel Posts: 55 Member
    Options

I really loved this!
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You're right--I don't think any of us CHOOSE to be overweight. I think it's something that happens over time because we get busy or depressed and start forgetting to make our health a priority and take care of ourselves. I see this especially in my fiance. He had to want something better for himself before any real change could happen.

He's lost 40lbs since December. He thought he was happy with his new size and was going to maintain. Then he came to visit me in NYC this past weekend and took me shopping. By dinner time, he was winded, sore and swearing up and down to drop another 30lbs before we get married.

Having something or someone you love can really be the honest kick-in-the-pants we need to put down the darn cake/chips/soda/etc and start respecting our bodies.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    A moment on the lips is forever on the hips
  • lovetodance
    Options
    Well said! That seems to be true for most people, doesn't it. Basically, we are weak and give in to temptation too easily. Fast foods are too easy and usually the most fattening and unhealthy..unfortunately.
  • BADGIRLstl
    BADGIRLstl Posts: 473 Member
    Options

This is awesome and true! Awww man I've been foolish plenty of times.....LOL The thing I have learned or reminded myself is that I have a choice!
  • CasperO
    Options
    This all reminds me of something I wrote a while back,,, where was it. Oh yeah, here it is:::

Need a little psych here, maybe bait & switch yourself,,,

Find some nice healthy little treatlets that you like - not necessarily food - and when you are fighting that urge to munch have your other thing instead.

Most of the time when we want to snack we're not hungry, we're just bored. Or doing something we don't really want to do and a snack gives us an excuse to take a break from it.

So - address the real issue. Are you really just bored? Do something to occupy yourself that doesn't involve calories. Are you just looking for an excuse to take a break? Then take that break and do something else. It takes 5 minutes to walk around the block, and 5 minutes to go grab a Snicker bar - so which one is better for you? They're both a 5 minute break,,,

On the other hand, if you actually are hungry, then you should eat something. Just be smart about it. Veggies, a rice cake, an apple. I eat at least 6 times a day,,,

You should try to find some way to not have to tell yourself "No". "No" sux, and just leads to feeling sad and deprived. So find a way to say "Do-think-eat this other thing instead",,, much easier and healthier and better than just "No".
  • mfolsom
    Options
    AMEN! I love me some sweets and once i eat them... i always think. GOSH DANGIT! that was good... but it definitely wasn't worth all the work i put in at the gym! I always have to remind myself... 'nothing tastes as good as skinny feels'. you can change that to whatever you are working towards. nothing tastes as good as looking sexy in my jeans either!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    This all reminds me of something I wrote a while back,,, where was it. Oh yeah, here it is:::

Need a little psych here, maybe bait & switch yourself,,,

Find some nice healthy little treatlets that you like - not necessarily food - and when you are fighting that urge to munch have your other thing instead.

Most of the time when we want to snack we're not hungry, we're just bored. Or doing something we don't really want to do and a snack gives us an excuse to take a break from it.

So - address the real issue. Are you really just bored? Do something to occupy yourself that doesn't involve calories. Are you just looking for an excuse to take a break? Then take that break and do something else. It takes 5 minutes to walk around the block, and 5 minutes to go grab a Snicker bar - so which one is better for you? They're both a 5 minute break,,,

On the other hand, if you actually are hungry, then you should eat something. Just be smart about it. Veggies, a rice cake, an apple. I eat at least 6 times a day,,,

You should try to find some way to not have to tell yourself "No". "No" sux, and just leads to feeling sad and deprived. So find a way to say "Do-think-eat this other thing instead",,, much easier and healthier and better than just "No".

When I'm "bored hungry" I know it because I'll crave something sweet, salty or otherwise a no-no.
    I'll say to myself, "Self, if you are hungry, let's eat! How about some yummy veggies?"
    When Self replies that it doesn't want veggies, I know it's a craving and not actual hunger.
    Then I tell Self to stuff it. (But not with food!) :tongue:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    AMEN! I love me some sweets and once i eat them... i always think. GOSH DANGIT! that was good... but it definitely wasn't worth all the work i put in at the gym! I always have to remind myself... 'nothing tastes as good as skinny feels'. you can change that to whatever you are working towards. nothing tastes as good as looking sexy in my jeans either!

Ooooh, careful with the S-word around here! :wink: A lot of people have changed that saying to "Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels". (I don't personally have a problem with it.... the S-word or the F-word!! haha)
  • CasperO
    Options
    When I'm "bored hungry" I know it because I'll crave something sweet, salty or otherwise a no-no.
    I'll say to myself, "Self, if you are hungry, let's eat! How about some yummy veggies?"
    When Self replies that it doesn't want veggies, I know it's a craving and not actual hunger.
    Then I tell Self to stuff it. (But not with food!) :tongue:

That's telling yourself "No" PR. I try really hard not to do that, 'cause I just can't take no for an answer. I try to tell myself "Go play your guitar instead", and that usually works. :smile: