Question: "fat abs" & "lean abs"

Options
skeo
skeo Posts: 471 Member
I guess curiosity is getting the best of me, BUT I see some men in the gym, who aren't necessarily lean or "ripped" but the have a 6pack or 8pack definition, you can literally see their abs through their shirt, BUT it protrudes out, like how a belly would look, they don't sink inwards into your body like for someone who is leaner. I would post some sample pictures, but I don't know how.

My question is, how does it become like that? Is it because you are developing your abs on top of fat? Which I didn't think you could do, because in order to see your ab definition, you need to LOSE fat, or is it the way you train your abs? Like when you work them, you aren't tightening them and are pushing them outwards?

This has puzzled me, and I can't seem to understand why it's like that. Please help explain or link an article if you would be so kind :flowerforyou:

Replies

• n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    guessing you're talking about "bear mode" guys vs. the skinny guys.

Like this guy?

Jesse_Marunde.jpg
  • dantrick
    dantrick Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I would imagine it is due to bloating.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    The more muscle mass you have, the less lean you have to be to begin to show muscle separation
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    They are just people with excellent ab development.

The bigger you make muscles, the higher body fat % you can get away with while still having some definition and separation.