If I'm not terribly sore is it still working?

I've started doing squats and lunges without weights. I do enough that my legs are like jello afterwards, but I'm not really that sore the next few days. Will this still get me results or am I not working hard enough? I can't imagine doing more since I pretty much push myself until I feel like my legs are going to give out.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Replies

• tracypk
    tracypk Posts: 233 Member
    Anyone?
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Being sore the next few days is knows as "DOMS" (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness). Many times you'll hear people equate DOMS with muscle fiber damage, so they think that more DOMS = a better workout, or that they didn't get a good workout if they're not sore.

This isn't true. DOMS is cause my inflammation in the connective tissue, and is not the best indicator as to whether you got a good workout. For whatever reason, some people are more prone to DOMS than others, some people get DOMS in a few parts of their body and not others.

The best indication of whether you got a good workout is whether you making progress, i.e., you're increasingly able to do more reps/sets/weight.
  • wigglypeaches
    wigglypeaches Posts: 146 Member
    Add weight.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    You're doing it right.
  • tracypk
    tracypk Posts: 233 Member
    Add weight.
    I'm quite weak so just doing the squats and lunges is hard for me. How much weight should I start with?