Does anyone else get built up mucus when they run?

Options
2»

Replies

• Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to curtsey. (That was the best post in the thread)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I have a bigger problem with it outside but I run in the country so I just spit or blow snot rockets. The only thing I've found that helps with the "wad" I get in my mouth is to brush my teeth right before I go running. I think it's because my mouth gets a bit dry (although water doesn't seem to help) and the toothpaste makes me produce a bit more saliva. I have tried holding a peppermint candy in my cheek which works sometimes.
  • Belinda658
    Belinda658 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I get it, but only when I run outside in the cold. I think it has to do with my exercise-induced asthma, which is a lot worse when the weather is dry and cold. I'm not sure why it would happen to you in the gym, unless you have undiagnosed asthma.

I could have written that.
  • impojr
    impojr Posts: 52
    Options
    I haven't gotten mucus while running, but when I went running with my sister did. She was all small and cute then SNNNRRRRRKKKKK HRRRRRRRCHHEWWW and it almost scared me. But I do a lot of other things, I fart a lot and pretty sure I have a weird open mouth cross eyed face I get at the 20 minute mark.

Just remember you don't look pretty to work out, you work out to look pretty ;) !
  • kenhelms17720
    Options
    Yes. Most people do, has to do with the increase in metabolism, respitory rate, etc

Look at cycling gloves for example, there is a reason most of them have fleece backing ;-)

If its a bunch though, ask your doctor next time if its possible you have rhinitis.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I don't smoke nor do I allow smoking inside my home (outside is fine).
    I don't have asthma or any illnesses. I'm not currently sick.

I breathe through my nose and out of my mouth during the running bits.

What gives? Anyone else have this problem?
    Give up dairy if you haven't yet.
  • kenhelms17720
    Options
    Give up dairy if you haven't yet.

This would also most likely occur when you are at rest as well.
    You can try taking an anti histamine to see if it helps(if this happens at rest) however if your concerned about lactose intolerance a medical doc can help confirm it with a glucose, stool and breath test before eliminating whole groups from a diet.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I thought it was because I had my adenoids removed when I was 8. When from perpetually plugged nose to perpetually runny nose.