What are athletes/active people eating?

I am 18 years old, just turned 18 a few days ago. I weigh 140 pounds and really want to get to 125 or 130. I am 5'5 an I play soccer at a very high level, I'm playing at Saint Rose next year in college.

I feel like when I'm not eating a lot it's really hard to perform at my best, for active people what do you guys eat that keeps you fueled and still losing weight?

I've only been doing this for two weeks and hope to lose the weight by the end of January.

Replies

• twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Why does it say you are 20 in your profile?
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    I create a moderate deficit with foods I enjoy
  • hmm not sure! I must have messed up, how do I change it?
  • You can check out my logging if you like. I work out 5-7 times a week, certified nutritionist, played sports all my life, etc.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Well yesterday I had McDonald's twice and a nice brunchy feast at a pancake house.
  • You can check out my logging if you like. I work out 5-7 times a week, certified nutritionist, played sports all my life, etc.

What foods should I try to be eating? I don't know what foods are best for me to eat, I'm just guessing, like yogurt and bananas for breakfast, peanutbutter sandwhich and string cheese and crackers or something for lunch and chicken for dinner???
  • Well yesterday I had McDonald's twice and a nice brunchy feast at a pancake house.

Luckyy
  • taso42
    Well yesterday I had McDonald's twice and a nice brunchy feast at a pancake house.

Luckyy

you don't have mcdonalds or pancake houses nearby?
  • Well yesterday I had McDonald's twice and a nice brunchy feast at a pancake house.

Luckyy

Ha Ha of course I do, But can't eat it!!
  • taso42

Luckyy

oh why? you're young and active. your calorie budget must be hyooooge!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member

Sure you can. You're a fit, active, young woman. You can eat anything you damn well please. Just balance it in your calorie budget.

I just had half of a garlic bread pepperoni pizza. And I still have about 400 calories left for the night.

Luckyy

No I get 1290 a day, and regardless mcdonalds is not good for you! haha
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Pizza.
  • brown rice, quinoa (sp?), lentils, all veggies, oats, chicken, fish, greek yogurt, fresh fruit, not cannned and if u do buy canned make sure its no sugar added or in own juice, protein powder or a good protein bar like quest bars or balance bars(those kinda taste like *kitten* tho) and make sure ur eating enough cals

Luckyy

mc ds is so icky for u, even if it fits in ur day why not use those calories on real nutritious food
  • brown rice, quinoa (sp?), lentils, all veggies, oats, chicken, fish, greek yogurt, fresh fruit, not cannned and if u do buy canned make sure its no sugar added or in own juice, protein powder or a good protein bar like quest bars or balance bars(those kinda taste like *kitten* tho) and make sure ur eating enough cals

So, for example when I have soccer practice its telling me to eat a whole nother 1000 calories theres no way that could be right, right? and if you don't eat enough calories will you not lose weight?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member

Luckyy

No I get 1290 a day, and regardless mcdonalds is not good for you! haha

Why? Who told you that?

If you are very active 1290 isn't what you should be eating. Unless you are very short. And thin. And not active.
  • taso42
    Whoa now. 1290?

Your TDEE is around 2534.

If you're trying to lose weight, you should be eating around 2027 cals per day, although I'm not convinced that you need to be losing weight.

Most individual food items, including fast food are neither "healthy" nor "unhealthy"; your overall diet is what can be healthy or unhealthy.

Eating 1290 calories a day, at your size and age is quite unhealthy.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    You don't look like you need to lose 10-15 lbs, you look like you just need to lean up a little bit (I mean, for your own tastes --- I think you look great, but I could also see where you might want to reduce your body fat a little for your personal preferences).

I would recommend reading this:
    http://gokaleo.com/?p=646

(and checking out the timeline of her photos here: http://gokaleo.com/?p=415)

Notice she looks much more trim and fit in at 160 in her latest pictures, even though she weighs less a few pictures before that?
    That comes from eating maintenance calories and compound barbell lifts.

Good blog in general.

But as far as what we're eating ... Lots of real food, more or less whatever we want, without going nuts. I don't even track my macros that hard frankly, I eat enough protein and then the rest of it pretty much lands where it will (and tends to land all right, maybe a bit high on fat). You don't need an magic foods, meal replacement shakes, or anything. Just eat good real food that you enjoy, don't eat too much of it, keep moving, lift weights, see what happens.

I'm the same physical size I was in terms of my clothing size when I weighed 20 lbs more htan I do now, just because I have so much more muscle and bone density than I did at that weight - I was LIGHTER but I wasn't THINNER.