Big Question..

Options
Ok years ago when i first went to join the army I weighed 320 pounds. I got down to 160 and maintined that as my army weight. My recruiter 9at the time) forbid me to lift weights, do crunches, push-ups, or anything till I hit 160 pounds... So now, 2 years after getting hurt and released from active duty my weigtht is 235 (it was 260 when i first joined MFP). Should i left weights? Wait till i get back to my goal weight (I havent decided if my goal is 200 or 180). I have pretty decent sized muscles and i can still bench 275 (tried it the other day), but I worry about losing to much muscle. Suggestions? Ideas?

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Lift! I'm a fan of muscle mass. It burns more calories than other tissue at rest, and it makes you feel good.

I think you should do all three modes of exercise: cardio, weights and stretching. I think balance is a good thing.

To this, I would caution you to pick a goal "size" like a number on a tape measure. With lifting, the scale will give you a weird picture of your progress. (muscle is denser than fat, muscles that have been worked retain water, etc.) Spend a buck or two on a tape measure and go from there.

IMHO.:flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting / strength training is very helpful for bone strength (as we age). I say go for it.

Even if you were to bulk up and gain weight from muscle mass (which I am sure you know requires a LOT of weight lifting), your physique would still show the benefits. (I'm sure you knew at least one person in the service who had to be taped, due to weighing more than their max but meeting taping guidelines.)
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why your recruiter wouldn't let you lift weights until you hit 160. Lifting weights can help you lose weight not to mention makes you stronger.

Go for it!
  • Ashia1317
    Options
    There's a lot of conflicting articles out there of what burns more calories or what's more effective for loss: lifting vs. cardio. But the one thing I have read in ALL the articles is that BOTH are needed.

I can't believe they said no to lift??
  • SoldierDad
    SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
    Options
    Weight lifting / strength training is very helpful for bone strength (as we age). I say go for it.

Even if you were to bulk up and gain weight from muscle mass (which I am sure you know requires a LOT of weight lifting), your physique would still show the benefits. (I'm sure you knew at least one person in the service who had to be taped, due to weighing more than their max but meeting taping guidelines.)

Lol this is true. A bunch of guys had to be taped to get through MEPS and into the service. Ok, so the weight lifting is back on. :-)
  • SoldierDad
    SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
    Options
    There's a lot of conflicting articles out there of what burns more calories or what's more effective for loss: lifting vs. cardio. But the one thing I have read in ALL the articles is that BOTH are needed.

I can't believe they said no to lift??

True story. He had me do nothing but cardio 4 hours a day.