Water

kateyb
kateyb Posts: 138 Member
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
I don't want to sound like a complete airhead, but can someone please explain to my the benefit of drinking 8 glasses of water a day (or more). I really don't like water at all but for Lent I decided that I would only be allowed soda and alcohol (the liquids I do like ;) after I've drank at least my daily recommended allowance.

It's day 2 (I started yesterday as a warm up) and I can't stop peeing. Sorry to be graphic but if this continues I'm going to get in serious trouble at work, plus be very uncomfortable on my journey home later!

To keep me motivated I thought it might help to know the actual benefits - as opposed to just doing it because I'm told I should!

Replies

• SoldierDad
    SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
    I don't want to sound like a complete airhead, but can someone please explain to my the benefit of drinking 8 glasses of water a day (or more). I really don't like water at all but for Lent I decided that I would only be allowed soda and alcohol (the liquids I do like ;) after I've drank at least my daily recommended allowance.

It's day 2 (I started yesterday as a warm up) and I can't stop peeing. Sorry to be graphic but if this continues I'm going to get in serious trouble at work, plus be very uncomfortable on my journey home later!

To keep me motivated I thought it might help to know the actual benefits - as opposed to just doing it because I'm told I should!

Almost everything we eat contains sodium. Sodium cause ewater retention. Drinking water and peeong removes the sodium. Plus its just healthy for you. Your body needs water. The benefits are unending.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    In my experience you are just cleansing right now. Stick with it. If I start getting bad about water and drink garbage for a while my bladder seems to shrink. Keep going...it will stretch and be able to hold even more than before. Soon you will be able to drink 12 oz before going to bed and not even need to wake up during the night.

Hang in there!! It will get better!!!
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    I drink 9 glasses of water a day and the benefits that I have received are BEAUTIFUL skin and more energy. In the beginning I did go to the bathroom a lot. It has subsided, but I still go a lot. I drink 1 bottle on my way to work, 1 through out the day and 1 on the way home. It's not worth getting in trouble at work for....
  • I am doing the same. I'm not a juice or soda person, but lately I've been finding myself one or two sodas on the weekends. So for Lent I'm giving it up. As long as I have my other sources - water, milk, herbal tea - around I'm not so bad. And I, too, am focusing on my daily intake of my water and I feel like I'm in the bathroom every 20 minutes. But I've heard it does get better.

Our bodies need water. It's good for flushing out toxins (your pee should be clear). I've heard conflicting reports on doing good for this skin, but I guess that's a personal thing to be determined. . . ?
  • AllezCheryl45
    AllezCheryl45 Posts: 22 Member
    Don't worry the frequent peeing is normal! Just like a previous post said, it's getting rid of the salt that you're body is retaining. I now really watch labels for how much sodium everything has. It's pretty astounding. I'm also learning to cook regularly with spices! Something you may want to try is drinking hot green tea throughout the day. That way you're getting water but it has taste to it. It's easy to get bored with just plain water. I've also discovered Aquafina Essence water. Those are GOOD! Hope this all helps and again, don't worry, your bod will get used to the water intake after a bit. :smile:
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Once again, the recommendation is not based on any empiric data. It is quite arbitrary. If you have normal kidneys, hypothalamus, and pituitary your body will let you know if you need more water. Sodium balance is also tightly regulated by the body (unless you have certain diseases such as adrenal disease, heart failure, kidney disease, etc...), so you don't need to worry about "flushing it out".

I personally do not drink 8 glasses per day.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    1st -- realize it's not 8 GLASSES a day. It's 8 CUPS. That's 64 oz. 8 *glasses* of water could easily be twice that (I know I use pint glasses at my house).

2nd -- The right amount of water flushes out your system in a good way. It keeps your body from retaining so much water (counterintuitive, maybe, but true nonetheless). It helps with parts of digestion. It aids your body in numerous other ways. Your body will adjust to drinking a healthy amount of water. I drink about 100oz most days and although I do still go to the restroom more often than I used to (I used to go like 3 times a day max.), it's not every hour like it seemed like when I first increased my water intake. For instance, I haven't been to the restroom for over 4 hours now and I've had a liter of water to drink in that time. And I'm fine.
  • kateyb
    Thanks for the comments guys. I was of the understanding it had some dietary/weight loss related benefits though. Thats the reason I'm making a concerted effort, because I was of the belief that it would aid me in my weight loss. I just wondered how and what it does.

I've never even come close to hitting my sodium allowance for the day so I'm not really worried about my salt intake. I'm always at least 500 under and on most days as much 1500.

My bladder is fine thanks, on a night out I'm always the last man/woman standing with regards to breaking the seal.

Plus I've always been blessed with great skin, and have a supreme greens shake with multi-vitamins daily, so flushing out toxins isn't something I'm too concerned with.

I've heard that your pee should be clear, although noones ever actually told me why. And does this occur because of drinking your daily water requirement or is it because of drinking a large amount of any liquid? When I go on a night out my drink of choice is (and always has been) vodka and sugar free redbull. After a good few of those my pee is clear as well. I think that's more due to the speed at which your body rejects/expels it, isn't it?!
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    1st -- realize it's not 8 GLASSES a day. It's 8 CUPS. That's 64 oz. 8 *glasses* of water could easily be twice that (I know I use pint glasses at my house).

2nd -- The right amount of water flushes out your system in a good way. It keeps your body from retaining so much water (counterintuitive, maybe, but true nonetheless). It helps with parts of digestion. It aids your body in numerous other ways. Your body will adjust to drinking a healthy amount of water. I drink about 100oz most days and although I do still go to the restroom more often than I used to (I used to go like 3 times a day max.), it's not every hour like it seemed like when I first increased my water intake.

This is exactly right! I was peeing all the time in the beginning too. I too drink about 80-100 oz a day and I dont go nearly as often anymore. I also have great skin now! I even got complimented on my complexion 2 days ago. I always suffered from mild acne as an adult. As a teen, it was pretty bad.
  • kateyb
    Oh and btw - I don't know the oz/ml conversion.

Yesterday I was told, on this forum, that 1 glass should equal 250 mls though - so instead I am using a small 500mls bottle of water as a measuring guide and have so far drank 3.5 bottles.

For those above me doing the same - I was also told that water mixed with flavouring or in tea etc doesn't count. The daily requirement is supposed to be pure water.
  • LittleSpy
    The 250ml is about right 250ml = 8.4something oz. so 2liters is close to 8 cups (it's a little more).
  • LittleSpy
    I'll break it down for you:
    I think most people recommend drinking water to aid weight loss simplybecause it helps you feel fuller and it's a 0 calorie thing you can do with your mouth. :wink: Sure, there are diet sodas & other "0 calorie" drinks but then you bring in the element of artificial sweeteners & caffeine which may or may not be a bad thing (I won't pretend I know anything other than probable myths that are widely propagated about both).

Even the supposed health benefits of water are often disputed. I personally notice I feel a lot better when I drink more of it and that's why I do.
  • kateyb
    Ok guys - here is the answer I was looking for: The reason that drinking lots of water helps you lose weight:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_drinking_water_really_help_you_lose_weight

Water is the number one most important thing to address when it comes to losing weight, because water actually increases your body's ability to metabolize fat. Here's how:

Your liver is the organ that deals with metabolizing fat, and your kidneys deal with straining the toxins out of the water you drink. However, if you do not have enough water in your system already, your kidneys will not be able to do their job. In this case, your body shifts some of the work over to your liver.

We all know what happens when we are working on a project and someone comes over and dumps their half-finished work on the pile; our project doesn't get the attention it needs. Same here. Your liver was dealing with fat, but now it has to do that AND deal with the extra filtering that the kidneys would normally do. So the efficiency of the liver is compromised, and it winds up leaving a lt of fat in your body that normally would have been burned away.

The idea that drinking too much water or a certain temperature of water will make you bloat is a myth. Your body bloats when it is dehydrated because it believes that you aren't going to give it enough water, so it will save what is already there. The ONLY way to deal with bloating is to drink more water. Bloating is a sure sign that you are dehydrated.

It may be inconvenient at first because you will have to pee more often, but the reason that you are running to the bathroom is actually great; your body is finally letting go of all the old, toxic water that its been holding onto. The water that you are drinking is usually not the first water that you excrete after being dehydrated. Now your body knows that you will be replacing the water, so it isn't panicking and storing it, it is letting go to make room for the fresh, clean water you are sending in. After a few days or a week, the bathroom trips will slow down and your body will get into a great rhythm, which includes reduced appetite, more luminous complexion, and better muscle tone, as well as a more efficient metabolism.
  • mbowen
    mbowen Posts: 16
    The best benefit zero calories!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Thanks for the comments guys. I was of the understanding it had some dietary/weight loss related benefits though. Thats the reason I'm making a concerted effort, because I was of the belief that it would aid me in my weight loss. I just wondered how and what it does.

I've heard that your pee should be clear, although noones ever actually told me why. And does this occur because of drinking your daily water requirement or is it because of drinking a large amount of any liquid? When I go on a night out my drink of choice is (and always has been) vodka and sugar free redbull. After a good few of those my pee is clear as well. I think that's more due to the speed at which your body rejects/expels it, isn't it?!
    Here's a good article a friend sent me about the benefits of drinking plenty of water: http://www.colonhealth.net/free_reports/h2oartcl.htm
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Okay. I drink at least 8-9 8oz glasses of water a day. I have been doing this for a long time even before I started dieting. I pee at least every 20-30 minutes. Seriously. It has not gotten any better at all lol but I dont mind that. And I need to go pee at least 2 times right before I go to bed otherwise I wont be able to sleep(I'm like a 10 year old or something lol" I think I might just have a small bladder or something..or maybe over active bladder. lol
  • kateyb
    I just found another great article that explains what I posted above in a bit more detail - and clarifies exactly how much you should drink according to your weight (as opposed to a 1 size fits all rule) - and what is acceptable as a form of water etc.

http://www.shapeupshop.com/weightloss/water-weight-loss.html

Thanks again for all your input guys, hope noone thought I was being dismissive - I really just wanted to to understand the physical benefit and how it occurs rather than follow advice blindly or underestimate the benefit!
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    One of the reasons to drinking water is that when you drink cold water it causes your body to cool the water down adn this causes your metabolism to increase.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    You pee clear liquid after a drinking session because the alcohol in your body triggers you to want to go to the bathroom to expel the alcohol. Your body doesn't have time to process the urea as quickly as your mind thinks you need to go to the bathroom, so you end up peeing mostly water. Hence the reason people wake up with hangovers. They are dehydrated.

To clarify though, your pee should not be clear, it should be slightly colored. If it's clear you are putting the water into your body faster than it needs it, or faster than it can handle. Think of a flower pot. If you water it too fast or too much the water just flows out of the bottom. The same thing happens to your body.
This discussion has been closed.