NEW GROUP- 30 Day Shred-Starting Monday!!

Options

Replies

• SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    Ok dumb question maybe...do i need a mat if i'm doing this on carpet? Can I do it in socks? I've never done a workout dvd before lol...

I wear my running shoes while I workout (just because I feel more stable in them). You do not need a mat if you have carpet but you will need some hand weights if don't already have some. Hope you join us.
  • bethany_85
    Options
    I'm in! I actually started yesterday but I feel like I'll be on level 1 forever so it's not like I'll be ahead or anything.
  • LuvnAG10
    Options
    LOL...that made me laugh Bethany!
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Ok dumb question maybe...do i need a mat if i'm doing this on carpet? Can I do it in socks? I've never done a workout dvd before lol...

I wear my running shoes while I workout (just because I feel more stable in them). You do not need a mat if you have carpet but you will need some hand weights if don't already have some. Hope you join us.

I too wear my running shoes for stability...I was doing the Wii barefoot for a while and I just hated it! It was so much better with my gym shoes on! But yes, you do need weights. I've heard cans of soup are ok until you get some weights. They have 5lb weights for $8 at Target, though I'm not sure if that is for one or two...
  • karmasBFF
    Options
    Alright, fellow shredders! I bought the DVD and I watched it. It looks easy, though, I am so sure it is not. I recommend low weights for starters as you use them for all of the strength training. And yes, a mat is recommended, even if on carpet (sweat on the carpet is so not sexy! LOL)

There are no breaks in between and its done this way intentionally. To each his own, but like Jillian says, If you want big results, you gotta work for them!

It does not say anything about being done everyday but the results definitely imply that this is a requirement. Think about it this way,its ONLY 20 minutes a day.

Also, someone mentioned limited stretching. I have to agree. It is definitely dependant on each person's body but I know my body, and I will have to add in more stretching.

All in all, I am excited to do this and can't wait to see the results!

Remember, Monday's topic should include CW and measurements!
  • Schula03
    Schula03 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    It does seem easy until you actually do it. Those moves are tough and if you use 5ib weights....you def. feel the burn!!!! :) Lots of jumping....I am a new mommy and this was tough for me. :) Excited for Monday!!! :):happy:
  • Glysz
    Glysz Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi! I just got the DVD in the mail yesterday and am planning to start soon.

My question is: for a beginner, what size weights should I get?

I have heard you should start with 3lb weights
  • Glysz
    Options
    That is amazing, I'm even more excited to get started now, tonight will be my 1st workout. Wish me luck :)
  • Glysz
    Options
    I would love to join this. I may start eartier as I will be leaving on vacation March 1st and want to get in as much as I can in a week and a half. I will try my best to get it in everyday while I'm on vaca. I really like the idea of having a support system.
    Has anyone done this already?? I am not convinced that only 20 minutes a day is enough to see results. Will most likely continue with my other works out too (Spinning, Zumba, Weights)

I have seen a HUGE difference. I am not all that fit, only doing some stuff before like treadmill, wii fit, outdoor cycling family style ... but i have lost 4.5 inches of my waist in 15 days!

That is amazing, I'm even more excited to get started now, tonight will be my 1st workout. Wish me luck :)
  • karmasBFF
    Options
    I would love to join this. I may start eartier as I will be leaving on vacation March 1st and want to get in as much as I can in a week and a half. I will try my best to get it in everyday while I'm on vaca. I really like the idea of having a support system.
    Has anyone done this already?? I am not convinced that only 20 minutes a day is enough to see results. Will most likely continue with my other works out too (Spinning, Zumba, Weights)

I have seen a HUGE difference. I am not all that fit, only doing some stuff before like treadmill, wii fit, outdoor cycling family style ... but i have lost 4.5 inches of my waist in 15 days!

Good luck!!! Let us know how it went!
  • wara501
    wara501 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Today will be my 4th day doing the Shred. I love it. Every day I have been sore in a different place. It is tough! Yes, I agree it does "look" easy but it is HARD! I have been working out faithfully since January and this kills me. The push ups in the beginning are super hard. I still can't do all of them without stopping. I am using 3 pound weights and during the first circuit I have been putting them down and doing the moves without them because my arms are burning so bad. The rest isn't that bad but does take focus to keep up. I can't wait to have support starting Monday with all of you!
  • karmasBFF
    Options
    Today will be my 4th day doing the Shred. I love it. Every day I have been sore in a different place. It is tough! Yes, I agree it does "look" easy but it is HARD! I have been working out faithfully since January and this kills me. The push ups in the beginning are super hard. I still can't do all of them without stopping. I am using 3 pound weights and during the first circuit I have been putting them down and doing the moves without them because my arms are burning so bad. The rest isn't that bad but does take focus to keep up. I can't wait to have support starting Monday with all of you!

WEll then I wont feel so bad when I go weightless, too! My arms are soooo weak!
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options

Good luck! Hope it goes great!
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options

There is a move in level two, squat with a v-fly that i still can't use the weights the second time thru. I just do the movement with no weights. Whatever muscles that move does, I don't have! lol
  • karmasBFF
    Options

There is a move in level two, squat with a v-fly that i still can't use the weights the second time thru. I just do the movement with no weights. Whatever muscles that move does, I don't have! lol

HA! That is hilarious! Yeah, I dont think I have them either, whichever they are! LOL
  • barty
    barty Posts: 729
    Options
    Hi, I have just got a copy, it arrived in the mail today!!! so i'd love to join I think I will need all the help I can get!!!
  • Jerzeebabie04
    Options
    I'm excited for monday as well! I'm a little worried about taking my measurements since I have not had them taken in awhile and my weight loss Dr is the one who normally takes them. I'm always worried I'm not putting the tape measure in the correct places haha. Hopefully once I take my measurements and then go to the dr (on thursday) I can compare them and hopefully they have gone down a bit! I'm going to have the Dr take them for me again on thursday next week just to see if I did them right.
  • karmasBFF
    Options
    I'm excited for monday as well! I'm a little worried about taking my measurements since I have not had them taken in awhile and my weight loss Dr is the one who normally takes them. I'm always worried I'm not putting the tape measure in the correct places haha. Hopefully once I take my measurements and then go to the dr (on thursday) I can compare them and hopefully they have gone down a bit! I'm going to have the Dr take them for me again on thursday next week just to see if I did them right.

http://www.gain-weight-muscle-fast.com/body-tape-measurements.html (there is also a picture on the page, for reference)

How To Take Body Tape Measurements
    Girth measurements will give you additional valuable information to assess the progress of your bodybuilding program. They will tell you where you are growing, which muscle groups are responding and which may need to be attacked in a different way.

To take your body tape measurements, you will need a flexible tape measure that you can wrap around your body parts. You can find these tapes at tailor shops, clothes shops and sporting goods stores.
    The MyoTape from Accu-Fitness is an improvement over the simple tape and it works excellent. You can get one for less than $10 and part of a package when you get your body fat caliper (see the skinfold measurements page).

Do NOT get a digital tape measure unless you want to torture yourself. Try getting that thing around your waist one time and you'll be ready to smash it with a hammer - undoubtedly the worst invention in the storied history of body tape measuring. Technology can't make everything easier.

Instructions
    The tape should be pulled to where it is lying flat against the skin all the way around. Like with taking skinfold measurements, your goal with body tape measurements is consistency. Take them the same every time you take them and you will get an accurate view of your progress with each body part.

Below and pictured to the right is a list of suggested sites to regularly measure.

Neck - Standing, measure your neck at its largest girth, right over the Adam's apple.

Shoulder - Standing, can either be measured as a straight line from the largest points on each shoulder across the chest or as a girth measurement all the way around the body.

Bicep - Measure at its largest girth, can be taken relaxed with arms at side, relaxed with arm bent, flexed with arm bent or all three.

Chest - Standing, measure with breath out just above the nipple.

Waist - Standing, measure at the narrowest point or at the midway point between the top of the hip bone and the bottom of the rib cage.

Hips - Measure at the largest girth, where the butt is protruding the greatest.

Thigh - Standing, measure at the largest girth, just below the butt.

Calf - Seated if you are measuring yourself or standing if you have a partner, measure at its largest girth.
  • JennSchn
    Options
    I bought this tape and have had it for a week thinking I will start it. LOL What a joke. I better join to have some accountability and friendly support. Yeah!! Go Us!!!
  • sssrip
    sssrip Posts: 72
    Options
    :devil: