is 1200 calories/day really enough?

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    It's not that hard at all in fact. Just make better choices.

Sorry but I'd shoot myself if I went anywhere near 300 cals for the day. That's how I got fat in the 1st place.

To each their own. I'd be threatening to shoot myself on your diet, too. I get why you'd say that. It's a seratonin problem, most likely.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member

Sorry but I'd shoot myself if I went anywhere near 300 cals for the day. That's how I got fat in the 1st place.

huh?:huh:
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member

huh?:huh:

Lack of energy from a VLC diet so couldn't manage to type an extra 0 I think.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member

you got fat eating 300 calories a day? :noway:

Stupid keyboard does not keep up with my typing speed...... pmsl
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Amazing though how many people just assume (even with looking at my diary) that I eat 300 cals a day...... trolls come back out to play I guess.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    C6F4ACC9-2EBF-448C-8850-545572A7BCC1-7867-00000933951D93C2_zpse8395029.jpg

Eat more calories
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Amazing though how many people just assume (even with looking at my diary) that I eat 300 cals a day...... trolls come back out to play I guess.

They are trying to tell you that you give out bad advice. Have a cookie.

To the OP, any plan that you can't stick to is a bad plan. 1200 is probably too little for you. You are going to need to teach yourself to create a deficit and maintain a deficit from your TDEE for weight loss. First thing is to calculate it. See the link posted. Then eat 10% less ON AVERAGE per week and see how much loss that generates. Stick to it for at least two weeks before making any adjustments.
    Consistency is important - it isn't about dieting, it is about learning to live in a healthy way. Find an activity that you enjoy and do it.
    Get good at it. Make it a life plan.
    And going over at 3000 for a day? It does not matter in the long run of things, if you are generally consistent, one splurge every once in a while won't kill you despite what sad-pants above says about "shooting yourself". How awful and what bad advice.
    Really, stick to something realistic and you'll have a great loss, fitness and a great life.

Good luck!
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    If MFP gave you 1200 cals to eat, you should NET 1200. So, if you burn off calories, eat those back. Just be careful about using calories burned by MFP's estimation. They tend to overestimate, so eat maybe half back and you'll be fine.

I net 1200-1400 a day and have lost 42lbs since July and I'm never hungry.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    I have my ups and downs.. today I ate a ton more than I should've (not healthy choices at dinner or snack...eek) but I am a bit concerned 1200 calories/day without exercise is too low?
    Maybe I am not trying hard enough. I normally exercise quite a bit and I'll eat my calories I burned so I eat maybe 1500 or so. but I also GO WAY OVER my calories, particularly on days when I do not exercise. I'm all over the map!!!!! ughhhhhhhhh I ate over 3000 calories today...but I did not make healthy choices and did not exercise today.

Is anyone else finding 1200 calories really difficult to stay around? I end up pigging out on junk at the end of the day which (as you can see in my diary...) completely ruins my hard work eating better earlier in the day.

any advice about how you overcame this problem?

Eat nutrient dense, calorie light foods - way more low sugar fruits and non starchy vegetables than you are eating, really stuff yourself with these at each meal and snack. Whilst bananas are healthy, for the same calories you could eat nine 80g to 100g servings of fruits and veggies in the full rainbow of colours for the same amount of sugar. Your body needs vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and essential fatty acids for optimum health, energy production and a strong metabolism.

And fewer items with brand names and ingredients, protein and healthy fats confer satiety, a bagel and cereal bar or does not. I don't see oily fish and only very limited other healthy fats, may of your meals are are carb heavy and protein light so get lean protein into each meal and snack. Keep processed/ junk/ sugary stuff down to no more than 10% of daily calories which is one small snack.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Eat more. I lost most of my weight eating around 2500 calories, maintained the first 60 pounds lost for 18 months, and now I'm working on losing the final 45. No need to starve your self, all that does is lead to metabolic disaster and yo-yo weight gain.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    I'd eat more.

I net at least 1500, and often 2000.

A starve/binge/I hate myself cycle is no way to live!
  • nc805397
    nc805397 Posts: 223 Member
    Awww thank you for your responses everyone!! This is very helpful! I have read every post and I will calculate my TDEE and I also agree with you FireFox7275 that what I am eating needs to change. I think a trip to the grocery store will happen today :)

THANK YOU! :D
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Hi there, i am also on 1200 calories diet and i find it very easy to stick with it.

thats because you are a baby.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    go by your BMR. It's far more accurate than MFP.
  • To me that seems too low. It doesn't matter if some people can do it or not. If the goal is not realistic for you, it will only end in failure.
  • Aleph13
    Aleph13 Posts: 83 Member
    To work out you need fuel and if 1200 isn't enough then I think maybe eat a bit more. Sometimes I eat 1500 but because I'm exercising it all evens itself out anyway. Try snacking/eating small meals more regularly as this will stabilise your blood sugars and stop you over eating. Nuts are really good for this, especially almonds... eat with a banana and do the same at night when you're hungry... nuts, a piece of fruit and maybe a couple of squares of dark chocolate. Don't give in to the junk food cravings and exercise more. When you work out you find that you don't wanna eat cr*p anyway x
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    All these responses and yet no one actually looked at her food diary.
  • nc805397
    nc805397 Posts: 223 Member
    I have updated my calorie goal (without excerise) to 1600 cal/day and I think that's much more realistic for me and I know I can achieve that goal!
  • I am amazed at how fast 1200 calories adds up!! I am 5' 2" and around 100 lbs. I look normal as I am small build. to maintain, calculation say I should eat 1200/day. So... if I exercise, I can have 1500 or so but... w/out exercise, I can eat the 1200 calories just on normal food!!!

I use the food log to make sure I put in everything I eat and look at total for the day in the morning and then add if I can. I also think about the morning weigh in if I get tempted to put something in my mouth!!!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    I sometimes find 1200 calories to be enough...

....for dinner!

Go to the first post in this thread, do the calculations, and enjoy losing weight without starving yourself and screwing your body up:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Seriously.

I'm not exaggerating either. I'm a woman, I'm short, I'm not abnormally active, I have a desk job, and I have a thyroid problem. I have all the major excuses. But on big workout days I can easily have a 1200+ cal dinner. Disclaimer though- I do save my calories to backload the day. I like to eat in the evenings. I lost most of my weight at 1650+exercise. I'm nearing maintenance, so I've slowed to 1950 now.

Same for me. I just had to up my cals to 1900 because I'm losing to quickly so close to my goal.

If you are finding yourself binging like that, chances are you aren't eating enough. Check out the roadmap link. I've followed that the whole way through.