Whoops. Did I hurt myself? Or DOMS?

Options
So the other day I pushed myself and did something around 25 squats, then a couple of hop scotches and lunges on top of that and I'm wondering if I hurt myself, as I am a newbtacular newb (25 was all I could handle! lol). Two and a half days later and my thighs are still very very sore especially when I replicate the movement. I don't think I would be as worried if jogging a staircase like this (http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/547211_10150986313436425_156367904_n.jpg ) only had me a little sore for the rest of the day, stiff the next and pretty much fine by the third day.

I've read about Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness but the pain was pretty immediate. Does that still fit the bill?

Replies

• kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I say DOMS. NSAIDs and light exercise is best.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Go for a nice long walk and then soak in a hot bath...... that'll get it out!
  • thooks0614
    thooks0614 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    What the above people said. And next workout make sure you're stretching and drinking plenty of water! :D
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    If you haven't done squats for a while the soreness is expected. Right now my quads are sore as hell from squatting 2 days ago 4 sets x 10 reps@315lbs. And i've been squatting for a while. i don't believe your soreness is anything serious. If you are using added resistance to your squats, try not to hit your legs less than 5 days apart.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My trainer has me ingest at least 20 grams of protein after a workout. I think the amount is based on weight. It helps you muscles rebuild after being worked so hard and torn a bit.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I've had DOMS that lasted a week.

Think of it as a hazing period :happy:

But usually, if it is a sort of all-over soreness that you cant pinpoint to an exact spot, it's most likely DOMS (I'm obviously not a doctor, just have lots of personal experience with muscle soreness lol). A few days ago I went temporarily insane and thought I could swing what must have been a 70lb garbage bag over my head and into a dumpster, and I woke up the next morning with limited range of motion and a specific pain under my left shoulder blade that lasted a few days. I knew right away that it was a pulled muscle and not DOMS.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    So the other day I pushed myself and did something around 25 squats, then a couple of hop scotches and lunges on top of that and I'm wondering if I hurt myself, as I am a newbtacular newb (25 was all I could handle! lol). Two and a half days later and my thighs are still very very sore especially when I replicate the movement. I don't think I would be as worried if jogging a staircase like this (http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/547211_10150986313436425_156367904_n.jpg ) only had me a little sore for the rest of the day, stiff the next and pretty much fine by the third day.

I've read about Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness but the pain was pretty immediate. Does that still fit the bill?

I just started barbell squatting about 6-8 weeks ago. The first time I squatted I was sore for a few days. Then a few weeks ago I had DOMS again. Squatted on Wednesday, then Thursday I was a little sore...it continued to get worse for several days. By Monday I went into the gym and asked the trainer if the burning fire in my quads ( front of my thighs) would ever go out. He asked me about my warm up and stretching routine. He got a little stern when he found out I wasn't stretching. He all but walked me over to the stretching area and pointed out the posters of stretches. I stretched that day, and every workout since. I have had very little soreness since.
  • Mr_Stephenson
    Mr_Stephenson Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I used to end up with DOMS all the time from running, in my case the problem was not eating enough protein post exercise.
  • stanluoser
    Options
    When you say you did 25 squats, is this one set or is this spread out over 3-4 sets? Usually doing 25 squats consecutively means that it is too light and should up the weight.

When doing them, should always do a warmup run or some sort of exercise to get the muscle pumping. Then stretch them out, perform your leg exercises and then stretch them out afterwards.