Exercising + dieting= no weight loss? :(

Options
Hello! :)

I've been restricting my calorie intake and exercising regularly for at least six months now and I have barely seen an improvement in my weight. Recently, I've cut back my calorie intake by another 200 calories and I've been exercising for an hour (15 mins of jump-rope, 35 mins of walking, 10 mins of abs) everyday. Also, I have being following a vegetarian diet for two years. I can feel that I'm beginning to build muscle in my abs but I've having trouble losing ANY weight around my hips or stomach. I have a BF% of ~24 and a BMR of 1,200 (excluding light exercise and digestion) at the moment.

Does anyone have any tips on losing excess body fat? Is it my exercise regime or diet? I really want to achieve a toned stomach by the beginning of next year...

Thank you so much!

Replies

• Nerdphiliac
    Nerdphiliac Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the link! It was very insightful. :)
  • Nerdphiliac
    Options
    Bump.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Don't know any of your stats and your diary is private.

I have a hunch you're undereating,

I'm also very skeptical that you read and digested the link above in 10 minutes. Why come back and bump the thread? The roadmap thread is pretty comprehensive. If you want some more, look here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Would you please open your diary? it is impossible to comment without a little more information
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    High school? 5'7"? Goal weight of 110 lbs? Uhm....
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    The LAST thing you should be doing is cutting your calories. 5 feet 7 inches 105 pounds is not a healthy goal weight at all. You are starving yourself. Why do you want to lose weight? You should be consulting a doctor, not a forum.

It even says in your profile, that you are seeking to be anorexic. This website is not pro-ana. Get help, seriously.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    If you are 24% body fat, you should pursue a smaller-sized deficit. Set your goal to 0.5 lbs per week for a deficit of 250 calories below your actual TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). If your BMR is 1200, and you are exercising up to 5 days a week, then your TDEE could be around 1860 to 1950 calories to maintain weight. Thus, you'd eat about 1600 or 1700 so calories.

The reason you should seek a smaller deficit is the amount of fat mass you can oxidize is dependent on your total fat mass. For you, at 24% body fat, that equates to 29 lbs (13kg). There is a formula you can use to calculate the max deficit in which fat will be oxidized: 31 x fat mass (29 lbs) = 900 calorie deficit. However, 1950 - 900 calories would bring you too low and you'd risk losing excess lean body mass and enduring significantly more down-regulation to your endocrine system and the hormones which regulate it due to the excessive stress.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Lift weights.

I was never able to get below 130lbs before I started lifting. Then even after I stopped lifting and ate like crap for three months, I stayed at 130lbs, which is still at least five lbs lighter than where my body liked to sit beforehand.

Also, try changing up your exercise routine. Eating more would probably be good too.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Unless my math is wrong, you are 5' 9" and weigh 121lb. That is very light for your height and underweight according to the BMI. If you really do have some belly fat then your LBM is really quite low. I would actually suggest eating at maintenance and lifting weights as you really do not need to be losing anymore weight. Take advantage of newbie lifting gains, assuming you are not lifting, or have not been lifting for long. You may even need to eat at a slight surplus, depending on where you are with your lifting progression to build up enough LBM. I would not normally suggest it for people at that high of a body fat % but you really do not have the LBM to 'support' much more weight loss. When you build up some LBM, then cut again.
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    eat
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    If you have anorexia as you say then you should seek professional help.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If you have anorexia as you say then you should seek professional help.

OP: I just saw some of the pics of the people on your FL. Between that and your goal weight, I totally agree with the above poster in that you probably need to seek professional help.
  • TwentyTreize
    Options
    If she was under eating, she would be losing weight, the body cannot go into a magical mode that allows function without fuel, quite frankly such a concept is offensive to the many starving people in the world. Surely, a more likely explanation is under reporting of calories consumed, its easy to do and I did it myself at first.
    If there are underlying food related illnesses, please stop worrying about weight and seek professional help, lower weight does not necessarily equal better health. Good luck
  • calisunrise
    Options
    girl, i'd kill to have your current figure.
    i think you should start lifting heavy though
  • Nerdphiliac
    Options
    Thank you for the help everyone! :)
    Also, I should note that I'm not anorexic; I don't know how anyone got the impression that I was or supported a detrimental diet regime. I acknowledge that I am thin and so, I am seeking to achieve a more toned figure in the most sustainable and healthy way I can. Some of the comments made were plainly misinformed or presumptuous.

Nonetheless, the advice was brilliant; I think I start weight lifting soon.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Also, I should note that I'm not anorexic; I don't know how anyone got the impression that I was or supported a detrimental diet regime. I acknowledge that I am thin and so, I am seeking to achieve a more toned figure in the most sustainable and healthy way I can. Some of the comments made were plainly misinformed or presumptuous.

Yes lifting weights at maintenance or a small surplus will do WONDERS for tone and making everything overall look significantly better.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

Yes lifting weights at maintenance or a small surplus will do WONDERS for tone and making everything overall look significantly better.

Your profile said you went from obese to ANOREXIC before you blocked it. I didn't just make it up dear.
  • You might be at your set weight, the weight where your body is at its healthiest. Work on toning up ratyer than losing weight.
  • tenajh
    tenajh Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    What does this Bump stuff mean? Kind of new to this type of thing I guess,,, LOL thanks.