Anti-depressants and weight loss?

Options
I really need to be on some type of anti-depressant, but I'm terrified I'll just gain all the weight back. Yes, I continually hear "wouldn't you rather not worry and not be depressed?" But that doesn't really matter because I'll be depressed if I gain the weight that I worked SO hard to lose... People don't seem to understand what a struggle this choice is.

I live a healthy lifestyle now, so my question is :

While maintaining a healthy lifestyle, were you able to maintain/still lose weight? I work out on average 3-4 days a week, (w/ strength training) and do circuit training most days. I eat healthy and am currently eating 1400 cals, but will probably up them a bit. My TDEE is between 1700-2100. So, do you think if I followed the same type of life, didn't overeat, and took medication (they want to try me on Paxil) my weight loss may be sustainable? I'm fully committed to this being a lifestyle, so I'm not too worried about that part.

Thanks for your answers!

Replies

• darleyschroeder
    Options
    I take wellbutrin and it actually helps me lose weight quicker. I have been on it for about 3 weeks now and have lost 5 pounds. That's with eating a lot more too.
  • childermass
    childermass Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Do you NEED to be on anti depressants?
    I was at the point of considering some very very dark things daily for about a year with no driving reason behind it. Life was 'great' but I couldn't feel it.
    Then a friend put me onto magnesium.
    I am not exaggerating when I tell you I felt a difference after the first day. And now, a couple months later I am still amazed at how good I feel. (good being an understatement).
    I know everyone is different, but really, isn't it worth a try? It has amazing benefits for your entire body:

http://george-eby-research.com/html/depression-anxiety.html
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I would think that being less depressed would help you lose weight. I'm not sure if Paxil has weight gain as a potential side effect or not. When I get depressed, all I want to do is lay in bed, sleep and play video games. I'm a total slug if I don't push myself. Fortunately, I take an anti-depressant so I don't get that way very often. I also find that exercise helps me be less depressed. A friend told me it prompts your body to release serotonin.
  • Verla7
    Verla7 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert on this subject, but I have been told that there are some anti depresants that actually help you to loose weight. I would mention your concerns to your doctor, and see if the ones you will be taking cause weight gain.
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    childermass:wow, thanks for this tip! I'll definitely give it a try. I'm one of those depression/anxiety people, and I never considered magnesium. Thanks again!
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I really need to be on some type of anti-depressant, but I'm terrified I'll just gain all the weight back. Yes, I continually hear "wouldn't you rather not worry and not be depressed?" But that doesn't really matter because I'll be depressed if I gain the weight that I worked SO hard to lose... People don't seem to understand what a struggle this choice is.

While maintaining a healthy lifestyle, were you able to maintain/still lose weight? I work out on average 3-4 days a week, (w/ strength training) and do circuit training most days. I eat healthy and am currently eating 1400 cals, but will probably up them a bit. My TDEE is between 1700-2100. So, do you think if I followed the same type of life, didn't overeat, and took medication (they want to try me on Paxil) my weight loss may be sustainable? I'm fully committed to this being a lifestyle, so I'm not too worried about that part.

Thanks for your answers!

Medication doesn't cause weight gain by itself. It can have side effects that cause weight gain such as make you hungry and eat more, but if you monitor your calories you'll be fine.

This is the kind of answer I wanted to hear, thanks :)

Also CarlieeBear: Yes, I do notice it's easier when I exercise. It doesn't ever really go away, but does become easier. Thanks for the advice all the same! :)
  • GomesDavid
    Options
    Antidepressants are medicines that treat depression. ...contact ur doc...Your doctor can prescribe them for you. They can improve your mood, sleep, appetite and concentration. i suggest u should go with somulin...my friend using it as it contains all natural ingredients ..no side effects... read more abt somulin here http://bit.ly/WgvCSv
  • Ortax
    Ortax Posts: 98
    Options
    I gained 50 pounds on anti-depressants and anti-psychotics. I believe it was because they increased my appetite. But I've asked this same question before and many people have assured me that they have been able to lose weight on these meds. I feel confident that I can lose the weight with exercise and eating right.
  • childermass
    childermass Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Antidepressants are medicines that treat depression. ...contact ur doc...Your doctor can prescribe them for you.

I would think she knows this already :S !!
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Options

Thanks for your answers!
    So creepy I just posted this and your post popped up!! Cool though.
    I'm sorry, are you saying you weigh less when you are depressed?
    I would think the antidepressants would make you feel better and more motivated to be healthy. Just my opinion though.
    I'm still waiting to hear back from people so I will look though your comments!
    I hope you start to feel better!
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Options
    Do you NEED to be on anti depressants?
    I was at the point of considering some very very dark things daily for about a year with no driving reason behind it. Life was 'great' but I couldn't feel it.
    Then a friend put me onto magnesium.
    I am not exaggerating when I tell you I felt a difference after the first day. And now, a couple months later I am still amazed at how good I feel. (good being an understatement).
    I know everyone is different, but really, isn't it worth a try? It has amazing benefits for your entire body:

http://george-eby-research.com/html/depression-anxiety.html
    Careful with your mag and any supplements, fluid- electrolyte balance is delicate and bad things can happen if you shift that balance (arrythmia, high calcium, low blood pressure and slow heart rythm).
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    YES, Paxil has weight gain as a side effect...PAXIL is also very dangerous if you are of child bearing age...because of birth defects associated with use during pregnancy....some insurance companys won't even pay for it if it is prescribed!!!! I am on Paxil myself, and have discovered I am allergic to it....LOL....now to figure out how to get off it, without having major side effects from withdrawal... I have read that this medication, in particular, has very serious withdrawal symptoms and issues....if you want to learn more about your question..I suggest you go online and GOOGLE IT....you won't even want to try it....

and take it form someone who has been taking it for about 14 years...it is NOT WORTH IT...if you can find something natural,by all means try that first....if you need to, go to a naturepath DR....they can guide you...a nutritionist will just tell you what to eat....

anytime you want ot know something... .GOOGLE IT...there is a lot of information out there....
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Depression has to be hurting your weight loss too. If your doctor is recommending medication, listen. If you try the medication, and you gain a pound or two, you can reconsider at that point if the results of the medication are worth the side effect. Right now that's just a potential side effect anyways. I've never gained weight on antidepressants, and I have been on everything.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    YES, Paxil has weight gain as a side effect...PAXIL is also very dangerous if you are of child bearing age...because of birth defects associated with use during pregnancy....some insurance companys won't even pay for it if it is prescribed!!!! I am on Paxil myself, and have discovered I am allergic to it....LOL....now to figure out how to get off it, without having major side effects from withdrawal... I have read that this medication, in particular, has very serious withdrawal symptoms and issues....if you want to learn more about your question..I suggest you go online and GOOGLE IT....you won't even want to try it....

and take it form someone who has been taking it for about 14 years...it is NOT WORTH IT...if you can find something natural,by all means try that first....if you need to, go to a naturepath DR....they can guide you...a nutritionist will just tell you what to eat....

anytime you want ot know something... .GOOGLE IT...there is a lot of information out there....

This is some of the worst advice I have ever heard. Listen to your doctor, not some stranger on a message board telling you to google things. This is your life you're talking about.
  • Sarahsue94
    Options
    I took Welbutrin XL and from what I read while I was taking it, people actually reported loosing weight (very small though, like a couple pounds a year) but still, If your not wanting to gain weight, talk to your doctor about it. I did not have hardly any side effects while on it either (Other anti-depressants made me feel sick or tired).

Also I would recommend reading a book called The Depression Cure by Stephen S Ilardi. Its a 6-step program without using drugs. I read it after I stopped taking mine. Even if you do decide to take the anti-depressants I would still read this because it does help A LOT!
  • myguitarplaysit
    Options

Thanks for your answers!

Medication doesn't cause weight gain by itself. It can have side effects that cause weight gain such as make you hungry and eat more, but if you monitor your calories you'll be fine.

From what I'm aware of, some medications do cause weight gain, but it varies from person to person. Wellbutrin is known for weight loss, but can cause seizures in some people. SSRI's are generally known for a bit of weight gain, but I know people who have lost. I personally gained a bit on a couple of them, but it wasn't anything too outrageous. ~5lbs, but I'm still peeved about it because I"m not as close to my goal as I'd like to be.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    During my divorce many moons ago, my doc had me on a Wellbutrin and Lexapro combo. I was not improving on Wellbutrin alone. However, I wasn't losing anymore weight (which was good. . .the divorce diet emaciated me). But, when Lexapro got added I dropped another 5 lbs (and was officialy "scary skinny") without eating decently.

It set me up for some serious weight gain after I stopped the meds. Thankfully, now I've got all of it under control without meds of any sort.

If you need the meds, you need them. I literally couldn't function. I hope you find a working solution. That your need for the meds is relatively short term (thankfully mine only lasted a year). And, that you feel healthy and balanced soon!
  • b817
    b817 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey, moclobemide - brand name aurorix, won't make you gain weight, it's a monoamine oxidase inhibitor, this mechanism of action will increase noradrenaline levels --> weight loss or will counter the weight gain that would be caused by its additional increase in serotonin levels. I'm a pharmacology major, I was also on it for almost a year, soon as I stopped taking it I gained about 5kg.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm on Effexor for my anxiety and not only have I continued to lose weight but it helped me quit smoking
  • helganog
    helganog Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    People say "Nothing tastes as good as being slim", BUT 'nothing feels as good as feeling well' should be right up there alongside it. I've struggled with depression and weight gain for over 15 years and have been through Counselling (CBT) and on medication (Fluoxetine) three times. I think the depression is a side effect of my weight problems, not the other way round so I don't blame the pills.
    There are different types of depression and, fortunately, my Doctor has found what balances the chemicals in my brain and makes me "me" again. I feel much more motivated and want to exercise and eat well (although I don't always) rather than just wanting to stay in a dark room, cry, not see anybody and stuff my face.
    If you think you need medication then talk to your Doctor. There are SO many different treatments out there. It might take some time to find one that works but when you do you will feel so different and you will be able to think about being healthy rather than being in a black hole.
    Good luck.