Nurses?

Options
Hey y'all I'm a 27 yr old RN trying to lose 50 lbs. Are there any others out there? We can share tips and tricks for trying to manage your diet and exercise while working 12+hr shifts. I work nights so that makes it more complicated. I'd love to hear from other nurses in the same boat. Thanks!

Replies

• babyworms
    babyworms Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Heya! 23 year old EN in Australia here. I only work nights too, but casual so not too many. I've been off the wagon for a bit, but desperately trying to catch up with it and jump back on at the moment, so anyone can feel free to add me!
    x
  • Nikipowpez
    Nikipowpez Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm not an RN, but I am a 3rd shift critical care secretary (some nights they abuse me and I play LPN), and I'm going to school to be a respiratory therapist. I have about 65 pounds to lose. I'm between semesters and on a lull from an insane schedule. I'm trying to get the ball rolling with my diet and exercise while I have the break so I can hopefully have better habits established for when I start back up again.
  • lyndalpn
    lyndalpn Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Im a doctor.... is that close enough? :)
  • babyworms
    babyworms Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure doctor counts :wink:

I forgot to add, I've got about 50lb to lose!
  • LolaRN13
    Options
    Dr. Counts lol. I'll expand this to medical personnel of all varieties lol. Feel free to add me and we can all share stories and tips! Just a bit more background about myself I'm a peds ER nurse and I am a carb lover !
  • aldinhasil
    Options
    25yo RGN in Ireland. Lost 21 pounds since 8/10/12!
  • LolaRN13
    Options
    This needs a like button! Congrats! What tricks have you used to help with staying consistent despite what can be a hectic schedule
  • lyndalpn
    Options
    Dr. Counts lol. I'll expand this to medical personnel of all varieties lol. Feel free to add me and we can all share stories and tips! Just a bit more background about myself I'm a peds ER nurse and I am a carb lover !

Just added you :) I have lost 28kg ( 62lbs I think) since June 2012 so am feeling great. If I can help in any way let me know!!
  • LolaRN13
    Options
    I'm trying to watch my carb intake but if anyone can tell me how to quell the pesky craving for sweets I have I'd love you for it! It's worse late at night or right after dinner
  • lyndalpn
    Options
    I cut out simple carbs (potatoes, pasta, rice and bread) and sugary sweets back in June and after the first week or so, I just dont want them anymore. The more you eat the more you crave I reckon.
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I cut out simple carbs (potatoes, pasta, rice and bread) and sugary sweets back in June and after the first week or so, I just dont want them anymore. The more you eat the more you crave I reckon.
  • Bethgor1
    Options
    Im an RN in MICU, I work 7a-7p also. Night shift blows all the way around! I am just getting into fitness (figure model) competitions, so my diet is totally anal. I am MORE than willing help you figure out some diet stuff. Honestly, I have never been "overweight" but I do have pretty extensive knowledge of dieting and exercise programs and routines. Let me know what you are doing now, or plan to do. I see you said you would like to lose ~50 lbs, correct?
  • ChrissieP80
    ChrissieP80 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I think it does depend on the person. I like sweets and I love to bake so I have spent a lot of time modifying recipes and switching out ingredients. Who knew that you could use tofu to make a chocolate cake?! I allow myself to have a small treat in the evenings if I've had a good day. It's motivation for me to stick to my plan. However, my weakness is the salty, crunchy, crispy stuff. I have cut that out completely because I am WEAK when it comes to those and I just can't stop! Also I find it helps to log in advance if I'm working a long shift. I have less self-control and tend to eat poorly when I'm sleep deprived.
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    sorry I reposted - i just wanted to say I agree to linda :) I did south beach diet, am still on it but its not a diet it has a 2 week carb craving thing where you still eat unlimited veg and sal, no fruit though and then introduce its hard but worth it, totally changed the way I eat, so like linda nothing white, I rarely eat bread, pasta,rice, I make up with quinoa. Its worked for me :) goodluck on your journey, Im an RN too, Pacu nurse here xx
  • lyndalpn
    Options

I should also add that I was diagnosed with type 2 DM in June so I had a good reason to cut this stuff. But my blood sugar has improved incredibly along with my weight loss, so something works! :)

Lyndal
  • lucysmommy
    Options
    hi

i have just qualified and start in the ward on the 27th dec and looking for some ideas as well - any one can feel free to add me x
  • Bethgor1
    Options
    First thing first: You cannot get by without eating smaller frequent meals. CANNOT. This is the hardest thing for me to do, because 12 hr shifts only allow you to- maybe- take one break to go eat, and let's face it, our jobs don't always allow us to do that even. I'm not hungry after 3 hours honestly. I set a beep on my phone to remind me to eat. At first (2 days) I thought I was going to die only eating 300 calories a meal. Then after a week, I was annoyed with eating because I was never hungry when I had to eat. So, if you can push through the first week, you'll be golden.

Second obstacle: Eating so frequently. Assuming you are doing 1800 calories (for easy math examples). You want 6 meals a day (not variable) and about 2.5-3 hours apart (not variable) and 300-ish (variable based on your calorie goals) calories. This is important (the timing). Think of your metabolism as a fire. To start the fire you need kindling, right? So, the small frequent meals are the kindling, getting the fire started, you need these small meals to keep your body fueled, ALL the time. Now once you have the fire going, at least 2 weeks (it takes that long for a real adjustment to happen in your body as far as diets go- long term, I'm not talking a quick weight loss), THEN you can add a cheat meal occasionally 1-2x a week (not a cheat day, a cheat meal). Now this cheat meal is like a big fat log that you throw on the fire. If you have a good base of burning kindling and small sticks, the log will catch fire and it will burn up. If you threw that same log on some leaves and sticks that have been burning 5 minutes, it will put the fire out, or not catch fire at all. The point is, once your metabolism gets going, your body will burn things constantly and you can afford to relax a bit.

How the hell do you eat 4 meals while at work? Pack them. How do you pack 4 meals every day? Do it 1x a week, and stock your fridge with a bunch of Tupperware. When you cook, you dont cook 1 serving, right? It is just as easy to make 4 salads as it is one. That is 4 meals, for 4 days (one a day, nobody likes salad 4x a day!) Grill 4 chicken breasts, make some whole grain pasta (a serving, pay attention to serving sizes)(310 cals with spaghetti sauce), and Boom! 4 more meals. Oatmeal- 2 packets are 320 cals (easy meal), Greek yogurt and an orange (250 cals), 2 servings of reduced fat triscuts and a serving of colby-jack cheese (270 cals). See my point? Protein shake with milk (~200 cals). 2 servings of Honey nut cheerios + 1% milk (300 cals). 2 whole eggs + 3 egg whites = shredded cheese (300 cals).

If you can consistently eat at those time intervals, after a couple days, you will not be hungry. Try to go 2 weeks without a cheat meal. if you feel that you HAVE to eat something sweet. Try a healthy sweet first (apple, orange, yogurt, toast with honey, etc) but if you HAVE to have a twix bar (which I promise, you dont have to have it), you take ONE bite, get your craving fixed, remember all the time and effort that you are putting into this, and stop at one bite. if you want, save the rest of the candy bar for a bite the next time. You like Sour patch kids? Buy the fun size bags at 30 cals of pure unhealthy sugar, and eat them at the end of your next meal. Dont every get sweets that are more than 100 cals, OR any that come in a multi-serving container.

Let's be honest, we love food. All the not good, unhealthy, salty, sweet, fatty, fried, juicy foods. Eat to live. Give your body what it needs. Don't live to eat. Enjoy the things you like, honestly, you will enjoy that bite of a twix bar after a week of sticking to your diet 100x more than you would if you ate a king sized every day.

If the type of food we were eating was good for us, or if we were eating at regular intervals like our body needs, or if we ate the serving that was intended for us, we wouldn't need to lose weight, right?

Be honest with yourself. If you ate 2 servings of pretzels, record 2 servings. if you dipped them in 2 servings of ranch, record it. The worst feeling is looking at the scale and thinking "WHAT THE HECK?!" But if you were honest, you know exactly why the scale didn't change, and it will be easier to make the adjustments.
  • LolaRN13
    Options
    Thanks! This was really helpful. I need to plan ahead more
    So that I'm not stuck
  • MyFitGrlSwag
    MyFitGrlSwag Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone :) I am a CNA/CMT/(soon 2 b)Cert. Phlebotomy Tech. I work night shift also (11p-7:30a/8a)! I have a total of 26.6 pounds to lose, and my first week here (first weigh in was12/14), I lost 2.8 punds.

What I do s far is plan my days/nights in a 24 hour sequence. Starting at midnight, an hour after my shift starts, my new day of calories begin, and thus end 11:59 pm the end of the day. I'm allowed 1540 calories daily, and allow myself 500-600 of those for work.

I usually bring:

Danon fit and light yogart w/ 1/4 of a serving of granola - about 130 cal

2% cottage cheese w/ water packed mandarin oranges - about 120 cal

I rotate a main meal

1. Spring salad mix, with peppers, mushrooms, feta, grilled checken and some type f dressing under 90 calories for 2-3 TBSP.
    2. A pb&j (high fiber bread/2 slices - 100 cal), natural pb - 95 cal, and organic fruit preserves - 25-45 cal)
    3. Meat and cheese sandwich w/ lettuce, tomato, pickles, banana peppers (mainly what im in the md fr lately)
    4. Oatmeal w/ berrys or cinamon and apples.
    5. (if someone goes to fast food) A hamburger w/ only mustard and ketchup with all the veggies (lettuce, tomato, pickles).

I also drink about 6-8 (8oz) glasses of water throughout my shift.

Once I finish with exams, I will encorporate more exercise than work :P

Feel free to add me :)
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I'm actually a mortician, but our hours run very similar and the workload can be comparable from what I've heard tell from my mother (RN). I'm all over this thread for suggestions on what to bring and when to fit it in, as well as exercise tips to do in the mornings before work starts that won't leave me too stiff or weak to lift a loaded gurney from ankle level. :)