Need help with Lasagna... the cheese part. :)

Options
spicy618
spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
Hi Ladies and Gents.

I always find that when I make lasagna the cheese part never tastes like in the restaurant. I've tried using the recipe on the Pasta Box as well as others. What am I doing wrong?

I want to taste the Ricotta cheese part like I do in the restaurant :tongue:

I use Ricotta cheese and add:

parmesean cheese, salt, garlic powder, I think an egg too.

Is there some type of Italian Secret I don't know of... :laugh:

Thanks for your attention and suggestions in advance. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I like mixing low fat part skim ricotta with fat free cottage cheese. Then (when not watching calories) stir in an egg and 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese into this mixture. I use this under the top row of lasagna noodles.
  • EmilyStrick
    Options
    there's a great italian chef named lidia bastianich...google her and you should find some recipes!
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I like mixing low fat part skim ricotta with fat free cottage cheese. Then (when not watching calories) stir in an egg and 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese into this mixture. I use this under the top row of lasagna noodles.

Same here. However, when watching calories, I use tofu instead of cheese and throw in fresh herbs, and it is surprisingly delicious. Not incredibly low cal, but better than with cheese.
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Momma adds cream cheese, which I feel smoothes the texture nicely, and adds much to the over all flavor. Not only is food our fuel, but it's a heck of a lot of fun. Search, ask, begg the resturants (sometimes a comliment about "the best you've ever eaten" and a $10 tip specifically for the chef will get you some inside info) and then play with your food...:)
  • spicy618
    Options
    Thanks Guys!

Good suggestions!

Especially the cream cheese... mmmmm

Tonight I will experiment :)
  • spicy618
    Options
    there's a great italian chef named lidia bastianich...google her and you should find some recipes!

Thanks

I just goggled her... I watch her show on CREATE all the time :)
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I add shredded buffalo mozzarella, parmesan, an egg, salt, pepper and dried oregano, basil, and parsley to the ricotta. Man, it has been a long time since I've made lasagna.... mmmm. I also use this mixture to make stuffed shells....
  • spicy618
    Options
    I add shredded buffalo mozzarella, parmesan, an egg, salt, pepper and dried oregano, basil, and parsley to the ricotta. Man, it has been a long time since I've made lasagna.... mmmm. I also use this mixture to make stuffed shells....

Thanks Jibay! I didn't have buffalo mozzarella, just part skim. but i added those spices you mentioned :)
  • spicy618
    Options
    Just wanted to come back and say

Thanks again!

The Cream Cheese really does make a big difference. I added a little too much, but ohh how Yummy !:tongue::bigsmile: :tongue:
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    My great-grandma would add a pinch of nutmeg and a few pinches of cinnamon :)
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options

Same here! Plus I add a secret ingredient that the boxes never tell you about: nutmeg! Just a dash adds that little bit of sweetness you are looking for. Trust me - I'm Italian! :bigsmile:
  • spicy618
    Options

Same here! Plus I add a secret ingredient that the boxes never tell you about: nutmeg! Just a dash adds that little bit of sweetness you are looking for. Trust me - I'm Italian! :bigsmile:

Got It!!! :tongue: :tongue: :bigsmile: Thanks!

I will definately remember to do this next time. :flowerforyou: