No Pop/Beer for Lent

Options
I have have the motivation to roll out of the rack at 455am, and run when it's 10 degrees outside.

I have the motivation to not eat candy or sweets for weeks on end.

I have conqured my love of chicken wings, and almost eliminated them from my diet (like once every 6 months)

I have accomplished a lot, and done a lot of hard things.

However, I cannot shake the pop habit. I have drasticly reduced my consumption of it. It's way better than it was, but I want to take the next step and eliminate it all together. But it's really, really hard. It's the hardest thing I have attempted.

So, with the onset of Lent, and this public declareation of my intentions...there should be enough motivation and accountability to do this.

Who else is with me?

Replies

• SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    Well I'm not a pop/beer drinker, but I am giving up chocolate! This will be difficult, but it will be great to overcome the temptations. You really have come a long way, It's amazing what we really are capable of. Well wishes to you on your new lent journey :)
  • sssrip
    sssrip Posts: 72
    Options
    I will trade you some of the motivation to roll out of the rack at 455am, and run when it's 10 degrees outside. In return you can have some of my ability to give up soda. I did it for a year plus last time and never really crave or have it anymore. Maybe once a month.

Deal?
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    Options
    I hear you & I'm with you!

for me it's no alcohol and no sweets for Lent.
  • pasbd
    pasbd Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm in. I quit pop last Wednesday.
  • egust01
    Options
    Count me in! My addiction to Diet Coke is sick... I need more water in my life!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I am going to TRY to give up my wine...:sad:
  • mpolt82
    Options
    Yeah, I dont really drink a lot of pop but I am giving up fluids for lent. Of course not water, but getting rid of coffee, my yummy smirnoff. and everything else. Hopefully drinking more water will help me out! Good luck!
  • Ktbell626
    Ktbell626 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'll do it with you! I quit pop for a week and then things happen and now its a really bad addiction again. Should we check in every week? To see how everyone is doing?
  • tbanking
    tbanking Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I don't drink pop and hardly ever drink, but I am going to give up fast food (god help me!)
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    We could spend 3 pages discussing different drinks that we need to surrender.

If you are participating this is how we will work it.

Today is Ash Wednesday. Lent ends on Easter. Which is Sunday April 3rd.

Pick the one group of food/drinks you want to eliminate. This is a ZERO tolerance accountability group, meaning there are no cheat days.

We will give progress reports on Sundays, but if you fall off the wagon you have to come here confess your sins so we can verbally flog you, and get you back on track.

As I said in the opening, No Pop/Soda/Beer for me. Anything carbinated really. I will certainly be pounding the ice-tea in the mean time.

Challenge Ends on Easter Sunday, which also happens to be Opening Day for MLB. That day, and the day after will be huge cheat day.
  • sssrip
    sssrip Posts: 72
    Options
    "I will certainly be pounding the ice-tea in the mean time."

Just make sure it is not twisted.

www.twistedtea.com
  • DG82
    DG82 Posts: 105
    Options
    I am also trying really hard to give up my vino for Lent!!! Cooking w/it doesn't count (as in including w/recipes) hehe :-) I actually use cooking wine so it's a lil different!
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I gave up lots of food things in the past, but this year I really thought about what was my vice and what would bring me closer to the Lord. I don't particularly struggle with any drink/food, so I decided to give up cursing. I used to not do it at all, but now it's a bad habit that will be hard to break. I have already said 5 today by accident :( but I WILL break this terrible habit. Here's to us and giving up our vices!
  • Sydneymarie
    Options
    My husband & I are giving up alcohol for Lent. We don't have kids and we like to have fun, so this may be difficult.

Last year we gave up meat, but we did allow ourselves to eat fish. That was a really nice Lent expeirence because we learned new ways to cook fish and incorporate less meat into our diet.

Good luck to all!
  • SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    So I'm a day late, but count me in.. I really should kick the pop habit. I'm addicted to diet pepsi. :) My BF will be proud lol
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Iplay..I will drink your beer for u!!! (but only on Saturday nights lol:0)~ I love that stuff!! lol:drinker: Natural light that is...

But I could try and give up ketchup! Thats a biggie 4 me
  • Ktbell626
    Ktbell626 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Alright, I'm here for my flogging, I had pop for two days, small amounts but they still count. From now on I'll be good.
  • SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Me too, I caved today. I went for lunch with a friend and had a diet coke. :embarassed: I can't stand drinking town water and the iced tea there sucks..I promise to be good from here on out.