How can I force myself to exercise when I hate it???

Options
I am already at a healthy weight but would like to be more toned and fit, and for me to stay thin, my calories have to be low, which for me is much easier to do than exercise. I just have a block against it. I've tried hypnosis CDs, subliminal CDs... I've been trying to walk a bit in my neighborhood, but all I do is think about other things I could be doing with that time that would be more creative or enjoyable. I really want to LIKE exercise, because liking something is the only way I'll do it. If it were something you could just do a few times and get it over with, I'd be fine, but the idea that you have to do it daily or regularly for the rest of your life is just overwhelming to me. I've always been more of an arty, creative, indoor type, never the outdoorsy, active, sporty type, and I don't know how to suddenly become one of those people who love exercise... I eat very healthy foods, take supplements, don't have any medical problems, but know I have to exercise to be truly healthy and get the body I want. Does anyone know of a specific hypnosis CD, hopefully one I haven't tried or SOMETHING, anything that will motivate me to do it? Or a good way to start that's not too time consuming? Also, I don't feel comfortable working out in front of other people and feel really awkward at a gym, especially LA gyms where everyone is obsessed and has perfect bodies and I feel like some kind of goofy sitcom character just trying to figure out what to do with the equipment or even goofier trying to follow yoga classes. I was one of those kids usually picked last in gym class, but I was really talented and successful at other things so I guess it just stuck in my brain that I'm not a sporty person, live with it... So I don't know if it's just laziness or some real block, but the "just do it" slogan does not work for me... Any suggestions? Thanks.

Replies

• RachaelJ35
    Options
    Just my opinion, but the issue here isn't exercise, it's attitude. From your profile " What is normal weight for everywhere else is obese here. Most people in my circles and neighborhood are actors and models and there's a different standard of thinness here " If you know you need to exercise, then it's just will power that is needed, not hypnosis.
  • stanluoser
    Options
    Don't care what others think about you. You're doing this for yourself not for them.

Go to the gym with a partner with similar goals as you and workout at the gym. Research and reap in the benefits and at the end you will be proud that you were able to conquer your goals.

Everyone has to start somewhere, they weren't just born and had toned out muscles and six packs they had to work hard for them!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Do you LIKE paying bills, flossing your teeth, putting out the trash, doing laundry? Me neither. But I do them because they need to be done or I'm going to be homeless and toothless, living in my own squalor, wearing smelly clothes.

I don't want a weak smushy body, so I exercise. I don't want to ever again throw out my back because I twisted weird cleaning up cat puke. That was humiliating.... walking around like a question mark, and having people ask what happened. "Freak hairball injury." :blushing:

I enjoy what I do NOW - which is lifting and running - but I didn't always like it. And hell, sometimes I still don't like it. But I know I like the results. Not only the physical results, but the emotional results. It's a wonderful feeling of accomplishment.
    I was one of those kids usually picked last in gym class, but I was really talented and successful at other things so I guess it just stuck in my brain that I'm not a sporty person, live with it...

Did I just step in a time machine? Are you sure you're not me, two years ago? Because that's exactly how I always felt. I'm an artist and a bookworm. But you know what's even more awesome than being smart and creative? Being smart and creative and able to bench press 100 pounds and run a 10k. I feel like a frickin' superhero now.

What started it all for me was the desire to run in a Warrior Dash. It appealed to my nerdy side, and eventually woke up my athletic side.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you have to get over something. either get over the awkwardness of working out in front of everyone, or start enjoying the exercises. or you can start to like the results of those exercises.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/gym

at_the_gym_whos_looking_at_whom_10815.jpg
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    If it were something you could just do a few times and get it over with, I'd be fine, but the idea that you have to do it daily or regularly for the rest of your life is just overwhelming to me.

This was exactly my thought when I first got sober over 5 years ago. It was hard for me in the beginning but now I can never imagine having another drink EVER!

The exact same thing goes for running. I forced myself to do it and pushed through the hate. The way it made me feel after was enough to push me to do it. Now I freaking look forward to my run and LOVE LOVE LOVE IT. But in saying that, I did not start out running 5 miles, I started by walking 2 miles a day.

Long story short, you have to want it more than you do not. You want to be toned? Well there is not a pill for that. You HAVE to exercise. Try the Winsor 15 minute Pilates DVD. Its not hard and it works.

Good luck.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I checked out your food diary. You have much larger issues than a lack of exercise. You are starving. Eat more get your calories up to 1200. Then you might have enough energy to exercise. But eating less than 500 calories a day is not healthy or safe. Oh ya we are in Simi Valley.
  • Aleph13
    Aleph13 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If you're more of an indoor type and in touch with your artistic side I would definitely try yoga... Ana Brett Kundalini Yoga is fabulous and I love it .. and I am an artsy indoor type :-) Try Fat Free Yoga, Kundalini Yoga Flow Bootcamp and Warrior Workout. Google her
    Feel free to add me as a friend :-)
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Do you LIKE paying bills, flossing your teeth, putting out the trash, doing laundry? Me neither. But I do them because they need to be done or I'm going to be homeless and toothless, living in my own squalor, wearing smelly clothes.

I don't want a weak smushy body, so I exercise. I don't want to ever again throw out my back because I twisted weird cleaning up cat puke. That was humiliating.... walking around like a question mark, and having people ask what happened. "Freak hairball injury." :blushing:

I enjoy what I do NOW - which is lifting and running - but I didn't always like it. And hell, sometimes I still don't like it. But I know I like the results. Not only the physical results, but the emotional results. It's a wonderful feeling of accomplishment.
    I was one of those kids usually picked last in gym class, but I was really talented and successful at other things so I guess it just stuck in my brain that I'm not a sporty person, live with it...

Did I just step in a time machine? Are you sure you're not me, two years ago? Because that's exactly how I always felt. I'm an artist and a bookworm. But you know what's even more awesome than being smart and creative? Being smart and creative and able to bench press 100 pounds and run a 10k. I feel like a frickin' superhero now.

What started it all for me was the desire to run in a Warrior Dash. It appealed to my nerdy side, and eventually woke up my athletic side.

Definitely feeling those 'freak' injury movements where you aggravate a body part and people can't believe you've done so because you're (at least I) am that out of shape. Avoiding these <- working to get here someday.
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I am already at a healthy weight but would like to be more toned and fit, and for me to stay thin, my calories have to be low, which for me is much easier to do than exercise. I just have a block against it. I've tried hypnosis CDs, subliminal CDs... I've been trying to walk a bit in my neighborhood, but all I do is think about other things I could be doing with that time that would be more creative or enjoyable. I really want to LIKE exercise, because liking something is the only way I'll do it. If it were something you could just do a few times and get it over with, I'd be fine, but the idea that you have to do it daily or regularly for the rest of your life is just overwhelming to me. I've always been more of an arty, creative, indoor type, never the outdoorsy, active, sporty type, and I don't know how to suddenly become one of those people who love exercise... I eat very healthy foods, take supplements, don't have any medical problems, but know I have to exercise to be truly healthy and get the body I want. Does anyone know of a specific hypnosis CD, hopefully one I haven't tried or SOMETHING, anything that will motivate me to do it? Or a good way to start that's not too time consuming? Also, I don't feel comfortable working out in front of other people and feel really awkward at a gym, especially LA gyms where everyone is obsessed and has perfect bodies and I feel like some kind of goofy sitcom character just trying to figure out what to do with the equipment or even goofier trying to follow yoga classes. I was one of those kids usually picked last in gym class, but I was really talented and successful at other things so I guess it just stuck in my brain that I'm not a sporty person, live with it... So I don't know if it's just laziness or some real block, but the "just do it" slogan does not work for me... Any suggestions? Thanks.

Not sporty here either and have never been. But, there's probably something out there that you'll enjoy so you can change your mindset for the better. Even if it's walking for hours at the mall, shopping/window shopping. What other creative things do you like to do? Maybe walk somewhere you really want to go (within reason) and the reward of getting there will be enough to motivate you?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    @captain_apollo- that's fanfvckingtastic.

@OP- just do it.

Nobody can make you want to exercise, either you want it more than all the excuses, or you don't.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Find something that you like. Or at least don't hate. Lower your expectations--it is unlikely anything will be orgasmically enjoyable except one kind of exercise.

And then, pay attention to progress and find ways to be proud of what you're doing. Did you go longer, go faster, have better form, lift heavier or more reps or with better form. Take measurements now. Take nekkid or nearly nekkid pictures now so that when you start noticing your thighs or calves later you don't think they're all of a sudden giant but in fact are the same size or slightly smaller and getting a lovely new shape.

I've never had an endorphin rush while running. I guess others have. I stuck with it and got to other goals, but I never got my goal of *loving* running. So I lift. I love lifting. But I wanted to change it up and now I'm doing Insanity. Its really just cardio (sure there's stretching and some stuff stolen from yoga and from calisthenics but its just cardio) I'm not a cardio queen at all. But I'm liking this, and I love the challenge and I love that I'm better at this than you would expect because of my lifting.

See how it isn't about finding personal fullfillment in the fact of exercise, but finding enjoyment in the progress, in meeting goals, and in noticing how well you're doing? Try for something like that.
  • BreeNJesse
    BreeNJesse Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Um yep!
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have answered so I'll be brief- but I'm answering anyway because I think you and I have a lot in common.
    I was a bookworm as a kid, always picked last in gym etc etc, never liked sports except swimming. Later in life wished my parents had been willing to commit the time for me to be on swim team but that's water over the dam haha. Also I am working on the skinny fat thing too- at goal weight not enough muscle. Anyway I have the following suggestions mostly not new:

1> Keep trying different types of exercises. I ran off and on for years, always hated it but made myself do it for a while, then slacked off etc. Always hated it, I repeat. A few years ago, joined Curves. Was surprised I like it- but I have to say there's Curves and there's Curves- some of them are fun and others not so much. In the end didn't get the results I wanted though- kept losing weight, not gaining muscle- which is what the circuit is designed to do after all. Now I am lifting with a trainer and doing yoga- two things I NEVER EVER thought Id like but actually I do!
    2> Look at the cartoons posted above and promise yourself not to be concerned about what others think.
    3> Tara Stiles yoga on YouTube- lots of great videos and you can download them and do them at home free. Then when you do want to go to a real yoga class you will have practiced some of the moves so you will get more out of it.
  • bestbassist
    bestbassist Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Wow, this rings VERY familiar with me. I've worked out consistently for years and I still and will always feel like this. In my case, not to be pessimistic, that feeling of being the awkward kid in gym class will never go away, but you have to put a middle finger up to the rest of the world and do these things for yourself. Learn to revel in yourself and what you can achieve. You will FEEL better in general when you exercise and that alone becomes very addictive.

I may never be able to bench my own weight but I certainly feel and look better when I bench what I am able to regardless. As for not knowing how to work machines at the gym - I'll bet if you are fumbling with them someone will notice and help you out. I always try to do this when I see newbies trying to use them. Mainly because I remember feeling exercise-challenged when I first started.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    exercise.jpg
  • Jessie169
    Jessie169 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Honey, I just looked at your food diary.

Do you really only eat 500 calories a day?

If so you are NEVER going to be able to do any exercise.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump for later reading... I don't hate it, I love it myself but am interested in others posts.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    When you learn to stop using words like "force" and "hate" on an activity as innocuous as exercise, everything in your life will get easier. Come back when you decide you want to exercise and we can help you.
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Easy, you go to the local gym and work out. You learn to love it.

Yet, I can't help you. You have already chosesn the road you want to go down.
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    Not to be harsh, but if you know you need to exercise, you should just do it. Second, instead of making yourself do something you hate, try new things. "Exercise" doesn't have to mean going to the gym or walking for no reason. Instead of walking just to walk, use your walks to run errands. Take up tennis, hiking, martial arts, ballroom dancing, rock climbing...it doesn't matter, just find a physical activity that you love. Pick anything and do it for a month. If you don't like it, try something else. You will eventually find something you like, something you can't wait to do, something you rearrange you life to make time for. And you will feel great!