Truth About Sugar!!

Hello i have questions,

When i go to the grocery store and start buying food for my healthy nutrition can i buy food that list sugar in the ingredients or not?

if yes how many grams should i say yes to when i check it's nutrition facts?

can i consume sugar and still lose weight without affecting my fitness goals?

What does sugar do to the body when it is consumed? how does it act?

lots of seasonings and dressing that i started checking contain sugar that's why i need help and thanks.

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,315 Member
    Unless you have a metabolic problem like diabetes, pre-diabetes or the like, eating sugar in reasonable amounts will not hurt your weight loss. Weight loss is from a calorie deficit, not from cutting out sugar. Also, sugar is naturally occurring in most fruits, in milk and a bunch of other things. Eliminating it or severely restricting it when that is not necessary, unless you have a metabolic disorder, will just cut out healthy foods.
  • Thank you for your reply,

the problem is i'm not against sugar, i just don't know the list of naturally occurring sugars out there.

is there a place where i can get a list for everything?

like a list for healthy sugars

a list for healthy fats

a list for healthy carbs and protein

and thanks
  • I try to stay away from anything that doesn't have raw sugar or naturally occurring sugars like in fruit that being said if it has a little processed sugar in it and it is within reason it won't kill you. Glycemic index is important in maintaining good insulin levels and not having too much of a spike- just keep your sugar intake consistent through the day and you should be ok. Keep in mind that things like white bread ultimately turn int sugars once digested and are high on the glycemic index
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Your weight loss will be determined by eating less than your body needs to maintain your current weight. You can do that eating Big Mac's, Twinkies and drinking Mountain Dew as long as you stay within your calorie budget. Don't get hung up on sugars and fats. Work on hitting your budget with reasonably healthy foods and you can always play around with your ingredients later.
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    I try to stay away from anything that doesn't have raw sugar or naturally occurring sugars like in fruit that being said if it has a little processed sugar in it and it is within reason it won't kill you. Glycemic index is important in maintaining good insulin levels and not having too much of a spike- just keep your sugar intake consistent through the day and you should be ok. Keep in mind that things like white bread ultimately turn int sugars once digested and are high on the glycemic index
    This if HEALTH and FITNESS is you goal not just losing weight.

I like natural sugar in grapes, mandarins, and apples. Google nutrition info on fruits and veggies you like and enjoy them.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I try to stay away from overly processed forms of any carbohydrate, including sugar. There are many many forms of sugar on nutrition labels, just about anything ending in -ose is a form of sugar (dextrose, fructose, sucralose, etc.). Nutrition labels are required to list the ingredients by quantity, so the items listed first are the highest amounts. I use the "5 ingredient" rule of thumb, if I find sugar in the first 5 ingredients of a product I don't eat it, and generally if I can find a non-sugar version that's what I will buy. I do make allowances for special occasions, and I don't mind sugar in desserts and stuff where you would expect to find sugar. What bothers me is the huge amount of sugar in everyday food that don't need sugar to be tasty - those are the forms I try to avoid. So, it limits the brands of bread, cereal, spaghetti sauce, ketchup, etc. that I'm willing to consume. And I find that I have to keep rechecking the labels as companies continually add sugar to previously non-sugar formulas. It's really just a matter of preference.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    I'm having cookies for breakfast.

But anyway, it's mostly calories in vs calories out for weight loss. For overall health, though, try to stay away from things with added sugars. I certainly don't, but healthier people do.
  • The only reason I try to limit sugar is because it makes me crave more sugar. I try to save sugary foods for right before bed because I'll fall asleep before I'll crave sugar lol.