best exercise for making waist smaller?

Options
I am within 10-15 pounds of my eventual goal weight and one of the things I'd like to get back is a smaller waist. I am not familiar with weight lifting so when people recommend things like "do lats" I have no idea what that means.

Are there specific exercises that I can do to help strengthen the muscles but assist in reducing my waist size versus getting a "boxy" look? (And yes, I know you can't spot reduce, read that many times on these forums so please don't respond with that). Looking for advice on if there are specific exercise that can be used...yup, also understand that genetics and body shape come into play as well. When I was younger I had more of an hourglass figure so I know that I fit into that category.

Thanks...

Replies

• hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    p90x ab ripper. ;)

if you youtube it, there's free videos of it.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    hula hoop
  • StrongerThanThor
    StrongerThanThor Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit.
  • jamesmom5082
    Options
    Get to a Zumba class! There is a lot of movement involving your hips and waist - all the ab muscles. If you love to dance but hate to do aerobic exercises, Zumba is for you. It is also good for the heart and lungs. My breathing has improved so much along with the disappearance of the love handles (why do they call them that - there is nothing lovable about them!). If you get a good instructor, she will show you both high and low impact versions of the moves she is using so you can be as aggressive or easy as you wish. Good luck!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Google dead lifts
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    30 Day shred. On YouTube so you don't have to buy DVD.

There are 3 levels and you do each for 10 days. I have only done 11 days of it and my stomach measurement has decreased by 3 in. There is cardio on there, but also ab crunches etc. They do use dumb bell weights, but if you haven't got any you can use tins or water filled bottles etc.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    childbirth, its an almost instant 10 inches off your waist.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit.

And the trolling starts.

You can also youtube Jillian Michaels six week six pack. It focuses on the core, which is what you're aming for.

What is wrong with this answer? The best way to reduce weight and body fat is with A calorie deficit.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I walked, ran and biked all summer and my waist shrank by several inches without dropping one pound. For me it's all about losing more fat. That is all I have to lose there!
  • Jerodhold
    Options
    When people tell you to work lats, they are talking about the muscles on your back kinda under your armpits, a good way to work your lats is by doing pullups/chinups, the reason they tell you to work your lats is cuz if you have bigger/wider lats, it makes your waist look smaller in comparison.

But as for exercises that make your waist smaller, I don't really think there is one. If you want a smaller waist you got to get a lower bodyfat %. What I would reccomend is to do weight lifting 3 times a week and some cardio exercises, 5 times a week, 2 of those cardio exercises being High Intensity Intervals, exp - 30 secs running at a high speed then 1 min jogging or walking, and do that 5-10 times. The weight training will help you build more muscle, the more muscle you have the more caloires your body burns. Hope I was at least a little helpful.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit.

THIS!

You cannot spot reduce with exercise.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit.

And the trolling starts.

You can also youtube Jillian Michaels six week six pack. It focuses on the core, which is what you're aming for.

What is wrong with this answer? The best way to reduce weight and body fat is with A calorie deficit.

Seconded, Best way to get a smaller waist is to lose fat, you lose fat by a calorie deficit.

Is it trolling if I said 6 pack abs are made in the kitchen?
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I've read about studies showing that people who walk a lot usually have smaller waists. May be part of why I have a 25" waist at 50 years old, even after having 3 kids and spending a decade in the obese range. I used to have a big belly. It's gone. But I don't think it was the only factor. I also changed my diet considerably, have been pretty disciplined about calorie balance for over 4 years now, learned a lot of stress management techniques, and my hormonal balance has changed. All of those have been cited as likely factors in what triggers your body to store or burn "visceral fat" from the abdominal area. So while I can't say exactly what worked and why, obviously something, or some combination of things has worked out phenomenally well for me. Good luck to you!
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Pull in your pot belly by sucking it in. Do intervals for several minutes throughout the day. When those muscles get strong, they will suck it in automatically.

Also, walking on all fours like a camel also works the same set of muscles. When you stand up, your pot will be tucked in. (Got this from Seventeen magazine 53 years ago.)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options

Also a great way to destroy your back.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Also a great way to destroy your back.

Really? I'm curious to see your evidence that a slow, gentle oscillating exercise destroys the back.
  • nc805397
    nc805397 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I've noticed my waist has gotten smaller by doing hot yoga ~4 days/week. I imagine regular yoga has the same effects. Also, yoga is so relaxing so another plus!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit.

THIS!

You cannot spot reduce with exercise.

SECONDED. the person who posted "Calorie deficit" wasn't trolling - they were telling you how it is.