When was your turning point to get healthy?

I'm in need of motivation and I wanted to know from you all, when do you say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

My Story
I remember going to New York for an internship, promising myself I would lose weight. My stipend was small, and walking was abundant. However, when I stepped on the scale, I was almost 2 0 pounds heavier than when I came *yikes*....It wasn't until I returned to my college campus that I really became serious about my health. I didn't want to be any heavier than I was! For the first time, I put my mind to something and I stuck to it. That's what I learned about myself, when I WANT something, I have a hell of a lot of will power. I lost 35 pounds. I used weight watchers as a crutch for awhile until my college budget wouldn't allow for it...

so...

what's your story?

Replies

• Sandy307
    Sandy307 Posts: 70 Member
    I am a senior (but we all suffer from similar problems!) I have always been heavy and have tried to lose weight on and off all my life. Now it has become a real health issue as opposed to a vanity issue. I suffer with arthritis caused by Lyme disease (we think.)

I am searching for some answers on that level and have just started working with a Naturopath so looking forward to seeing some results in that area. At least I have found someone who is taking me seriously.

Due to the arthritis I find it difficult to get into any exercise routine, however, water exercises seem to work for me. I also try to walk and get out into my garden(Happy place!!) as often as the weather and pain will allow me to. Being on here has given me the boost that I needed to get started and keep going. It doesn't hurt that my daughter is on here also and doing so well, very proud of her!

I understand what it is like to be on a budget and have to watch the pennies, so that is an added bonus of this site, nothing to pay!

I hope you are able to stick with us and I know I speak for most other people out there, we are all here to try and help and support each other, so, if you need something just ask.

Good luck with your journey... Sandy.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    I officially call my life changing attitude my mid-life crisis. Some people buy fancy cars or other cool toys trying to get back to feeling young, but I just couldn't fill the void inside me (self esteem, feeling lazy and sad and sick all the time) with stuff. That was was changed it for me.

I had always tried and failed. tried and failed. again and again. I can only say that God gave me the strength to finally do it this time.
  • jensweighingin
    jensweighingin Posts: 168 Member
    My Aunt died suddenly and unexpectedly of obesity related problems. I couldn't do that to my brother and sister.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    When I had to make the choice of accepting defeat by buying a size larger clothes or losing weight.
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Wanting to prevent any more of these little aches and pains that are seeming to pop up more and more lately. :) I've read that losing just one pound can take 3-4 lbs of pressure off the knees. Mine crack and pop can can get stiff playing a lot of tennis...so want to prevent or lessen all of that.
  • I have spent pretty much all of my life focussing on other people (I have been a carer since about 8) and just neglected myself. I knew that I was gaining weight and eating the wrong things and that I was totally unfit but either stuck with denial or just didn't care enough about myself to change.

I finally realised that I was 26 and had spent all of my teens and twenties thus far hating how I looked and how I felt. I realised that if I take care of myself I will have more to give to others so that focussing on myself and my health isn't selfish.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    it was a combination of a routine doctor visit ( he sent me to talk to the nutrition nurse person) and getting a smart phone with fun app at the same time.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    When I saw that I was twice the size of any of my siblings in my sister's wedding pictures... (this photo is in my profile)
  • I don't have some fancy story. (Congrats to you by the way!!) I've been unhappy with my weight for a couple years now. I whined a lot (ish) about it. I didn't like myself in pictures. This summer, I went to the lake A LOT! I was in a bikini, but almost to the point of buying a one-piece because I didn't like it. Still, I didn't DO anything about it. Then one day....about two months ago, a coworker asked me to help him out. He had signed up on here and desperately needed something. We are in the Air Force and our semi-annual fitness tests are getting serious.....kicking people out for failures. He's had a couple and couldn't afford another. I'm all for helping someone else, so I said "Sure...why not?!" Now, here I am, 11 pounds lighter....and him? About 20 pounds lighter...and taking his fitness test in about a week (as of this point, he's passing)! Weeee!