HOW do you STAY motivated????

Options

Replies

• ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    For it was when my doctor asked me did I want to live long enough to see my daughter graduate. I have a 16 yr & I want to be here for all her milestones as she goes through life. The initial reason was external but, to continue it had to become internal for me. I love what I see now. I love feeling energized. I just have to put on a pair of leggings to keep me motivated. Before the weight loss, you would never catch me in pair of leggings because it outlined my body bulges & I hated it. I always wore baggy clothes. This mama is not afraid to wear form fitting clothes anymore.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i have a list of long term and short term goals.
  • PilotX
    PilotX Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I look in the mirror every day naked and go now thats why your gonna end up a 40 year old virgin. Thats my motivation
  • TazzytheMotivator
    TazzytheMotivator Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I keep two photos of me, by my bed it is the first thing I look at in the morning @ my highest weight of 380 pounds, and the last thing I see when I close my eyes . My second photo is right next to it@ 266 pounds gone with the wind .That keeps me on track and keeps me motivated to keep it off for good .
    Believe in YOU ! YOU are worth the investment !
    Keep pushing don't stop .
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
  • kimmiedunne
    kimmiedunne Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It is EXTREMELY difficult when you first start to stay motivated! I started at 230 pounds and am now at 150 pounds - it's not an easy thing to do, but you have to WANT it more then anything. You have to learn that you are changing your way of living. It's not a diet - it's a lifestyle change. The holidays are such a hard time for me but this year I have only gained a pound - and I haven't been following it all that closely, so to me that shows that I have changed my way of thinking and can now eat healthy without even thinking about it. It's second nature. Motivation of family and friends also help. My mom and I did the journey together and it was so helpful to have someone right beside you motivating you and going through exactly what I went through. I also LOVE to exercise now - I used to dread it. I love my runs in the morning and my ab workout and upper body workout. I'd be lost without it. I feel so much better about myself and the comments I get from people really keep me motivated and keep me going. It is not an easy process but when you see the results it is well worth it! If it helps - I know you can do it! Everyone on this site is behind you and will be here to help motivate you! Hope that helps! :)
  • peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I used my spreadsheet. It helps me keep the big picture in mind.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/peterdt/view/insights-of-net-calorie-loss-spreadsheet-450582
  • NaughtyForties
    Options
    Good question - I think approach has everything to do with it (well for me at least I know it is).

For example I do not consider myself on a diet, I've changed my lifestyle for the better. Period. Just like starting a new job, it's difficult at first then gets easier and easier until 3, 4, 6 months down the road I can do it with my eyes closed. Life experience has taught me that, so I use the same approach to my lifestyle change with food.

To be fair if I want something I have it BUT I also know that means I have less of something else or I workout to compensate. What I don't do is ignore that I had that chocolate bar etc and then load up with more cals later in the day. In short I make myself accountable.

I keep motivated by training hard and often. I see improvements in my weight loss, body composition and overall shape by taking photos on a regular basis. Many do not or only take after pictures which defeats the object of the exercise in my book. Even 2 weeks in, you'll begin to see small changes plus you lose big when you first start.

Everyone is different and motivation can change along your journey, the main thing is having a go and finding the right combination of eating clean foods and exercising for you. Even I have to ask myself sometimes how bad do I want it?
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Have you ever journaled how you felt when you first started a new regime? Like when you're all excited and think "this time is it!" When I lost my weight, I remember I made it a New Year's resolution in 1987. That was the first time I wrote down I wanted to lose weight. It's also the ONLY time I kept a New Years resolution!

Whenever I want to falter, to this day, I revisit that New Years resolution in my diary from 1987. I couldn't let that hopeful girl down yet again...

It also helps I'm a Beachbody coach now and it's part of my livelihood to stay in shape lol
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    How do I stay motivated?

I walk around naked.
  • oklewis
    Options
    I have asked myself and others this same question. How do you stay motivated? What I have learned is, it has to be a life change not a diet. My goal is not to be skinny but healthy. I'm 37, a mother of 3, and 4 months ago I found out my cholesterol was 246. I have to change what I do or I won't live to see my kids graduate from college and get married. I won't see my grandkids. For me, it's reminding myself of why I am doing this. I guarantee you I slip up and eat 5 servings of artisan bread and butter, or enjoy a snickers. I realize that at the moment I feel bad, if i make a conscious choice to eat heathy then that is another minute on my life I've gained. There's always another moment to make a different decision. Don't beat yourself up on what has past. Focus on the future!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    At some point, being healthy has to become more important than being lazy.
  • swarovski75
    swarovski75 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    How do I stay motivated?

I walk around naked.

^^^
    THIS.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    The first thing is to not deprive yourself of anything. try making healthy choices with a few of your favorites worked into your calorie count each day....the second is to make sure your calorie count isn't set too low for your age, height and weight. there are so many people on here who start with the 1200 cals per day, when 1500 or 1600 would be a more realistic goal and still create the deficit you need to lose the weight.

Look up BMR / TDEE and you will find all kinds of information on calculating an appropriate daily calorie goal. :)
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    For me it simply came down to knowing that if I had a bad snack, a bad meal or a bad day, I could just keep going and not give up. One decision at a time, one day at a time.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Lust for doing things. Physical things. Well.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

These are great!
  • UticaBoy51
    UticaBoy51 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    My MFP Peeps are awesome, they keep me on here and motivated. I love to work out, it just took me a few weeks to remember.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I like this question. For me, it's about keeping it light and fun. I see way too many people stress out over a bad day or a weekend binge or red numbers in the food log. For me, I just try to have more good days than bad days and never, ever, EVER worry about what I ate yesterday or last week. Every morning my diary is at zero, and I put a food plan together that will let me enjoy eating and stay near my goal. Notice I didn't say under goal. Just near my goal is all I ever shoot for. Try to make your weight loss a fun game, not an arduous chore. I *STAY* motivated because I don't let what happened the day before demotivate me.

PS. I just realized I could use some additional motivation. If all the women that get motivated by walking around naked would share their "motivation" with me via PM, that would be incredibly "motivating". Thanks in advance!
  • chaNyn613
    chaNyn613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My motivation is pretty good most of the month but then PMS strikes and it feels like I am always taking steps back. One weekend of cravings and its repenting all week and no forward movement, argghh. My workouts rarely suffer but my way of eating has to get back on track. I created a pinterest board that I go to when I want to give into my cravings. I have motivational quotes, pictures of figures which I aspire to, diet recipe tips, etc. And it keeps my hands busy so that I am not eating.