I know that you won't even believe this one !!!

Options
Sing1outloud
Sing1outloud Posts: 57 Member
So this weekend... to make a long story short ... My boyfriend is going wild boar Hunting!!!!
Does anyone have any Boar meat recipes????... No I am serious!!!:smile:
and if not do you know where I might be able to find some ????

Thanks!

Replies

• Sing1outloud
    Sing1outloud Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    So this weekend... to make a long story short ... My boyfriend is going wild boar Hunting!!!!
    Does anyone have any Boar meat recipes????... No I am serious!!!:smile:
    and if not do you know where I might be able to find some ????

Thanks!
  • yenn
    yenn Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Here are a few tips ... from the experts at TEXASBOARS ... because wild pig meat can be tougher and is definitely less fatty than the commercially raised version:

WILD MEAT SOAK and TENDERIZER
    I use this technique for all the wild game animals I take and I highly and frequently recommend this for all wild game.
    # - Skin and Debone or Quarter the animals out and place the meat in a large ice chest with the following mixture.
    # - ICE WATER!! Along with 1/2 - 1 cup of vinegar and a medium or large (18 - 20 oz) size container of real lemon juice.
    # - Soak large portions of meat for 2 0r even 3 days changing the water as needed and keeping the water ICE COLD and all meat covered with the ice water. Soak the meat till it turns white and all blood is leached out.
    **NOTE, if the meat begins to darken or turn blue then you got too much vinegar! The meat is not spoiled!! Change the ice water and reduce or eliminate the vinegar.

Smoking (slow cooking Quarters or Whole Hogs
    This is the most common and preferred way for preparing wild pork. Usually to be served at friend and family get-to-gethers.
    First of all read the tips and reminders and apply those to those tips in preparing the meat for best results.
    # - Gather your favorite seasonings such as lemons, peppers, onions, potatos, and any other seasonings that suit your taste and get that part taken care of.
    # - Completely wrap the meat so the vapors are locked in as well as possible and the drippings will not escape.
    # - Slow smoke (or bake) at about 275 - 300 degrees turning or rotating as needed to insure even cooking. The time will vary greatly depending on the size.
    # - Whole hogs should cook overnight or all day. Quarters will usually cook in 5 - 6 hours.

If your wanting to serve the meat in slices you should cook it till you notice that the meat is about ready to fall of the bone and has become very tender. At that point you would unwrap the meat and brown and baste to firm up the meat.

If you're wanting the meat extremely tender and juicy then it should remain covered and cooked till it falls off the bone.

and here are a bunch of recipes !! For all different parts o' pig ...

http://www.bowhunting.net/susieq/boar.htm
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    My Dad used to do this all the time in my very young childhood.

This can be a lot of meat! So, be prepared.:flowerforyou: