Protein Question!

Options
I was just wondering if anyone else goes over their daily protein goals? I seem to go over it every day.. I'm not sure if that's good or not because I want to keep losing weight. So far since just starting serious this week I have lost about 5 lbs. Please help!

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    The default protein settings on MFP are on the low side - going over is generally good. Unless you have kidney issues, up to 100g per day is fine.
  • lannaxo
    Options
    Thank you!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    The default protein settings on MFP are on the low side - going over is generally good. Unless you have kidney issues, up to 100g per day is fine.
    While I agree with the first sentence and the part about "unless you have kidney problems" in the second sentence, I've never seen research citing 100g as a recommended/safe upper limit. Most strength trainers advocate 1g protein per pound of lean body mass, which is usually substantially over 100g/day (170-180g/day in my case). Some bodybuilders will take in up to 3g per pound of bodyweight, which can be well in excess of 600g/day. Nonetheless, your advice is sound that the OP will certainly not hurt anything (and most likely it will help preserve lean body mass) to take in substantially more than the default MFP recommendations.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    "It has been observed that the human liver cannot safely metabolise much more than 285-365 g of protein per day (for an 80 kg person), and human kidneys are similarly limited in their capability to remove urea (a byproduct of protein catabolism) from the bloodstream."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

As long as you don't go crazy with it, you'll be fine.
  • lannaxo
    Options
    "It has been observed that the human liver cannot safely metabolise much more than 285-365 g of protein per day (for an 80 kg person), and human kidneys are similarly limited in their capability to remove urea (a byproduct of protein catabolism) from the bloodstream."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

As long as you don't go crazy with it, you'll be fine.

Thanks for the info! MFP says my goal each day is 46g and I never eat over 100g a day so I guess I'm good. I just don't want it to cause me to stop losing weight :)
  • Will210
    Will210 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb for me is I try to include a protein with every meal including snacks. This includes a AM protein shake to having a slice of deli meat with a pickle for a snack. Other examples would be Quaker oats with protein, hard boiled egg, I think yogurt might have protein.

Two benefits of this that I have read - helps keep hormones at an even keel. Has thermal effect - unfortunately I cannot remember the specific reason. I really do not count the grams but today I am at 88 and will probably be under 100 as my dinner is pretty light.
  • mikebowers27
    Options
    When I am bulking I eat 1 gram of protein for my goal weight. So right now I am around 200 I would consume 200 grams of protein. When I am cutting I ussually aim for 150 to 200 but depends on my weight lifting schedule.

Your current amount is good.