governor chris christie's weight

Options
RECowgill
RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
I start this topic with full respect for people's views and politics. However this is not a political topic, this is a health and dietary one.

I recently saw Chris Christie's ABC interview. http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/video/barbara-walters-10-fascinating-people-chris-christie-17952156

They talked about his weight a bit and during that interview, in answer to the question of "have you tried to diet?" he basically said he's tried many things including diet and exercise and nothing has worked.

My questions are directed at the health and dietary experts in this community. Are there conditions where a person can be that overweight and no amount of dieting, no program can help them? He doesn't seem to be somebody who would have a shortage of willpower or determination.

On the other hand, maybe he hasn't tried everything. I would think somebody in his position would have no shortage of expert advice he could get as needed, and if anything a governor would have access to better medical advice and solutions than most of us.

I found his answer to be surprising to be honest. It says to me one of a few possibilities: He in fact hasn't tried everything or applied himself enough, or he has some kind of health issue for which regular diet and exercise won't work.

So I'm curious to know what any experts here think about this. I'm not a dietician or nutritional expert, am I missing something? I humbly submit to the brainiacs at large. =)

Replies

• BossReyes
    BossReyes Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Mental Mindblocks
  • akkhima
    Options
    It is possible he has thyroid or other issues, but any doctor should be able to help him with that.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Politicians who need to weight often lie about trying to lose weight because it looks bad for them to be rampantly overweight and not trying to lose it. He'll be overweight because of too many good dinners for work purposes and junky food grabbed on the run when he's busy.

There are ways to fit in exercise and good diet around a busy political schedule but you have to really want to do so.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    There's an abundance of information and help out there on weight loss and fitness. Still, maintaining a calorie deficit over time is difficult. If it weren't, we would all be slim. Perhaps obese people look the same from the outside, but maybe there are physiological/biochemical differences in people that make weight loss more difficult for some people.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I give it a 99.9% chance of probability that when he said "it doesn't work", he meant "I gave up". Of course it works, he just failed at it.

Let's face it, the guy is at least 300lbs (well into morbid obesity I'm guessing). Speaking as someone who was previously 300lbs myself, losing weight when you're that heavy is extremely easy. If he even thought hard enough about losing weight, he'd drop a few pounds.
  • RECowgill
    Options
    So you'd feel its an excuse is what you're saying.. Even Presidents make the time to exercise... I say this apolitically. GWBush I believe took the time to run 3-4 miles with regularity. Obama gets up at 5am to play basketball. It seems to me that even the busiest people in the world can make the effort to diet and exercise.
  • hkry3250
    hkry3250 Posts: 140
    Options
    Low testosterone, and thyroid issues are about the only things that inhibit weight loss genetically. But with his money, his doc should have already tested for both of those and he should be on medication if that were his problem. So, bascially, I say he just doesn't want to.
  • RunningOnPurple
    RunningOnPurple Posts: 119 Member
    Options

Speaking as someone who was previously 300lbs myself, losing weight when you're that heavy is extremely easy.

It is? (Asks the girl finally at 298.)
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    So you'd feel its an excuse is what you're saying.. Even Presidents make the time to exercise... I say this apolitically. GWBush I believe took the time to run 3-4 miles with regularity. Obama gets up at 5am to play basketball. It seems to me that even the busiest people in the world can make the effort to diet and exercise.

They can make the time, but not all do.

I used to work with two men in very high level roles and similar workloads, both of whom had gained a lot of weight in a couple of years: one put in a real push to lose weight and lost all he'd gained through running regularly; the other has just continued gaining weight. It's not that the other couldn't lose weight if he tried, but it's easier from his point of view not to. He'd rather read his official documents over a curry than on the treadmill.

Honestly, it's no one's problem other than his own.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Speaking as someone who was previously 300lbs myself, losing weight when you're that heavy is extremely easy.

It is? (Asks the girl finally at 298.)

Yup. It gets much harder later on. Also, I'm sure it's ridiculously hard to get all the way there and be truly lean, in comparison to starting out.
  • flatblade
    flatblade Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Yes, he is morbidly obese. He is really in a box about his health. If he doesn't lose weight and is capable of losing it, then he is showing lack of discipline. If he has a medical condition that precludes him from losing weight, then that is a red flag for him to be elected. The only way out of the box is to insist that his weight is not an issue. If the public is able to accept that, then he has a chance even at the high weight he is carrying.

I don't like many Republicans, but I do like some things about Christie. He isn't one of those blow-dry clones and he shows his emotion quite easily. However, he also gave the most self-serving keynote address I've ever seen.
  • bluesqueen
    bluesqueen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    EASY? I am old...Ive fought this weight battle ALL MY LIFE> I lost many times..once over 90 lbs. Most recently 4 years ago I lost 102lbs. On a VERY healthy diet. I have regained nearly 80 lbs and now am beginning again and expect to succeed but it is an ONGOING battle always for those really suffereing obesity and anyone who says not I just do not understand. This last time I never got on the scale to see IF I had lost but to see HOW MUCH I had lost. It just went down every week-end when I weighted. It still wasnt easy. I assume it was not news to him that he is overweight or that he should lose or even that they mentioned it. Can you imagine them asking an anorexic if they didnt think they shoudl GAIN weight? People are obsessed with weight regardless. You didnt mention they asked if he felt it would hinder his bid for president did he decide to run..I am presently at 290 and doubt this will ever be easy.but I will pray you are right. 71 years and still battling...
  • Redladystl
    Redladystl Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I give it a 99.9% chance of probability that when he said "it doesn't work", he meant "I gave up". Of course it works, he just failed at it.

Let's face it, the guy is at least 300lbs (well into morbid obesity I'm guessing). Speaking as someone who was previously 300lbs myself, losing weight when you're that heavy is extremely easy. If he even thought hard enough about losing weight, he'd drop a few pounds.
    ^^^^ I do agree. I'm definitely no expert and, I do struggle on this journey especially when not focused. But I believe consistency works. Stress could also play a big part.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I don't know the man, being as I am an Aussie, I just looked at the video. He is only 50, and he is probably what would be called morbidly obese. Barbara called him a bear so he is probably quite tall, and a big man anyway, but there is not need to be obese if he did something about it.

It would be interesting to have him do MFP and log what he eats and does for exercise for a month without making changes, and then review his caloric intake and expenditure.

I bet he eats much more than he expends, but until people (including myself I might add!!) come to that realisation and are ready to do something, they will always be fat. Telling someone they need to lose weight does not help. It has to be something they come to themselves. I was in denial for a long time, the more my husband told me to lose weight the more I dug in!!

This site is full of people who have overcome huge obstacles, major health issues, huge weight issues, and succeeded. Good on you all!! You are an inspiration to us.
  • MissCarter79
    MissCarter79 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I believe he probably is a lot like a lot of us here. It's not easy to change eating habits and to get a morbidly obese body to move without feeling like you're going to die. He has probably tried the fad diets and failed at them. I'm not saying that excuse is a good one, but I don't think anyone wants to be fat.
  • RECowgill
    Options
    It would be interesting to have him do MFP and log what he eats and does for exercise for a month without making changes, and then review his caloric intake and expenditure.

That is a key observation actually. I bet if he joined MFP and made that known publicly he would have a ton of people giving him good advice and support. It's the collective brain of the internet, lots of input and viewpoints to come to good, positive outcomes. =)
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    It's my opinion that the "diet" industry sets people up to fail so that their customers keep coming back over and over again. Sometimes, it's not an issue of willpower. But if he's been "dieting" and not "eating right" then that very much could be his problem. He could also have a thyroid condition or a slow metabolism.

My brother is brilliant, yet hasn't been as successful as I have with keeping his weight off. He doesn't realize he needs to pick up more weights and stop playing around with just walking. He's only 44, not 84 lol.

I guess my point is that the misconceptions the diet industry feeds people in order to keep people coming back is working so well that 63% of the adult population is now overweight or obese. Which is why I'm so passionate about helping people losing the "diet" mentality!
  • Heather_RT
    Heather_RT Posts: 24 Member
    Options

I like this. I think you're right. I don't believe it when anyone says "I can't lose weight" or "It doesn't work." I know better than that, now.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I think the problem with Christie is that his weight is at the bottom of his priority list. If he wanted to drop weight it would happen, regardless of any health restrictions.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I start this topic with full respect for people's views and politics. However this is not a political topic, this is a health and dietary one.

I recently saw Chris Christie's ABC interview. http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/video/barbara-walters-10-fascinating-people-chris-christie-17952156

They talked about his weight a bit and during that interview, in answer to the question of "have you tried to diet?" he basically said he's tried many things including diet and exercise and nothing has worked.

My questions are directed at the health and dietary experts in this community. Are there conditions where a person can be that overweight and no amount of dieting, no program can help them? He doesn't seem to be somebody who would have a shortage of willpower or determination.

On the other hand, maybe he hasn't tried everything. I would think somebody in his position would have no shortage of expert advice he could get as needed, and if anything a governor would have access to better medical advice and solutions than most of us.

I found his answer to be surprising to be honest. It says to me one of a few possibilities: He in fact hasn't tried everything or applied himself enough, or he has some kind of health issue for which regular diet and exercise won't work.

So I'm curious to know what any experts here think about this. I'm not a dietician or nutritional expert, am I missing something? I humbly submit to the brainiacs at large. =)

most people are continually bombarded by fad diet nonsense and misinformation about weight loss and its really hard for them to know what's right and what works, until the day they are properly presented with the math behind "eat less, move more". he just hasn't been exposed to the truth about weight loss yet... there is no secret. you eat less. log your food. know your BMR/TDEE. you move more. etc.

it's not just him, there are millions of other Americans out there wandering around in the wilderness of misinformation and ignorance about weight loss.