Not off to a good start

Options
Hi, I just got this started today and was fine until about 5:00pm tonight. I work form 4:oo until about 9:30pm. I was just starving tonight. I ate a snack size bag of gold fish cracker, not to bad but then went down to the candy machine and got a payday bar. I have been hungry all day today. I drank the 8 glasses of water. I need to figure out the food that will keep the hunger away. I went 366 calories over my limit for today. Yomorrow is a new day and a new chance to start again and do better. Any ideas ?
The fruit and veggies don't keep me satisfied. Thanks

Replies

• debtherealtor
    Options
    Hi, I just got this started today and was fine until about 5:00pm tonight. I work form 4:oo until about 9:30pm. I was just starving tonight. I ate a snack size bag of gold fish cracker, not to bad but then went down to the candy machine and got a payday bar. I have been hungry all day today. I drank the 8 glasses of water. I need to figure out the food that will keep the hunger away. I went 366 calories over my limit for today. Yomorrow is a new day and a new chance to start again and do better. Any ideas ?
    The fruit and veggies don't keep me satisfied. Thanks
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    Starting is always the hardest...once you get into the "habits" it does get easier trust me! My new thing is to always eat my veggies before my meal and to grab at least 2 fruits during the day! I exercise everyday and drink a lot of water.....it will get easier...goodluck and we are here to support you!

dd:smile:
  • jpketz
    jpketz Posts: 73
    Options
    Having some protein and/or fiber with every snack or meal is good way to maintain that "full" feeling longer. There are a number of "bars", like Cliff Bars, Lara Bars, etc. that have enough protein and fiber to last a while, although using them habitually as meal replacements isn't a great idea. I try to stay with the bars that have the shortest ingredient lists and stay away form Atkins bars, etc. that are overly processed.

Simple carbs, like high glycemic fruits, Payday bars :wink: and veggies will give you a burst of energy but they won't last and your blood sugar will crash right after and set you up for an overeating episode. Almonds, pecans, even an apple or celery with peanut butter are better. Real food.

The water is important, too and will also help the hunger. In fact sometimes we tend to mistake being hungry for being dehydrated so drink away. And of course exercising will give you some extra calories to play with, which is a great morale builder.

You're doing great. Don't beat yourself up. This too shall pass!
  • jual76
    jual76 Posts: 13
    Options
    Not a problem, having those days are only part of the process. However, you must learn to plan ahead, you should try to bring a small cooler to work, in that cooler you can have all sorts of healthy, filling , food items for the day. I had problems meeting my goals until I finally decided to start eating 7 small meals per day, every 2 to 3 hours and 14 glasses of water, this will be hard a first, the logistics are not always easy but believe me, if you get used to doing it, you will see tremendous results. When you get hungry, drink a full glass of water, if you are still hungry have your small meal, never go more than 3 hours without a small meal.
  • rayneenie
    rayneenie Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Starting is always the hardest...once you get into the "habits" it does get easier trust me!

I have to agree. I only started myself on monday and I am struggling so hard. It will get better though I have faith. There is so much support here when you have problems reach out there will be someone who has your back and that helps a lot.
  • my3kids
    my3kids Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Keep positive rayneenie you know this is for the best you know in your heart and mind you can do this! Keep your chin up and keep moving forward:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options

Simple carbs, like high glycemic fruits, Payday bars :wink: and veggies will give you a burst of energy but they won't last and your blood sugar will crash right after and set you up for an overeating episode.

Hey - veggies are not simple carbs. They do not spike your blood sugar - no crash. Candy bars, yes. But even "high glycemic fruits" have lots of benefits and do not react in your body like candy bars do. Not that there is anything wrong with the occassional candybar . . .:happy:
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Take your food and snacks to work with you already calorie counted. I use 100% multi grain bread, 45 cal a slice...get it at wal mart........a slice of turkey breast 50 cal. load it with lettuce. Make you something like air popped popcorn put in a baggie , need something sweet I like the jello packs 5cal each or they have plenty of 100 cal packs of chips, and muffins ect. Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Fructose is the sugar in fruit, and while it's still not great for you, it's much better then sucrose as it is metabolised through the liver and doesn't effect insulin levels. It doesn't give you the sugar high that sucrose does, but it also doesn't make you crash. Fructose still raises your triglycerides, but it doesn't go directly to the blood stream, and doesn't raise your blood sugar levels, so It doesn't make you feel full like sugary snacks do. So if your going to eat fruit as a filler, be aware it won't fill you up like some other forms of food. I usually eat a couple of cubes of low fat cheddar through the day, and almost always have some wheat thins or wheat twists for some nice, filling, complex carbs. I also try to put atleast 1/2 a filling of protien in there (cheese does this, but I mean extra), protein makes you feel full a long time because it's tough to break down, I like beef jerky or a small bag of chicken. Thow in my carrot sticks and a sugar free jello pudding snack (60 cals and yummy), and my can of V8 with my lunch and I'm usually good to go for the day.