Heavy drinkers outlive nondrinkers

Options
tigerblood78
tigerblood78 Posts: 417 Member
I'm gonna live forever

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2017200,00.html

One of the most contentious issues in the vast literature about alcohol consumption has been the consistent finding that those who don't drink tend to die sooner than those who do. The standard Alcoholics Anonymous explanation for this finding is that many of those who show up as abstainers in such research are actually former hard-core drunks who had already incurred health problems associated with drinking.

But a new paper in the journal Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research suggests that — for reasons that aren't entirely clear — abstaining from alcohol does tend to increase one's risk of dying, even when you exclude former problem drinkers. The most shocking part? Abstainers' mortality rates are higher than those of heavy drinkers

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2017200,00.html#ixzz2FB40lvxD

Replies

• Windy_
    Windy_ Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I bet this research was funded by Budweiser.
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I don't care who funds it I like it :-)
  • Windy_
    Windy_ Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options

You would.
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    :yawn:
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    Fae's live forever......
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    After last night, I must have added years to my life...
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    2 drinks a day has a good list of health of benefits.

water is wet...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would bet on stress being a lead cause. Stress is a killer. Alcohol relieves stress.
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options

Sooooo this!!!!! :drinker:
  • barbie_g1rl
    Options
    haha LOVE this :)
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Heavy drinking in college put my in the pre-diabetic catergory...
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna live forever

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2017200,00.html

But a new paper in the journal Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research suggests that — for reasons that aren't entirely clear — abstaining from alcohol does tend to increase one's risk of dying, even when you exclude former problem drinkers. The most shocking part? Abstainers' mortality rates are higher than those of heavy drinkers

Everyone's risk of dying is the same. Pretty much we all die once. (execet for those who are resucitated)
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    One hypothesis that I've heard is that drinkers may have stronger social ties than non-drinkers. It's been knows for a while (from somewhere, too lazy to get a source) that having a strong social circle increases lifespan. Did this study compare the lifespans of low, moderate, and heavy drinkers?
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options

Sooooo this!!!!! :drinker:

Ditto :drinker: Cheers!!
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Yeah. And pregnant women can drink safely in moderation.

Science!
  • madworld1
    Options
    I thought it was 2 per day. Something like that. Anymore than that and you risk damage to organs. Anyway, three of my family members died in their mid forties from heavy drinking.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Heavy drinking in college put my in the pre-diabetic catergory...

Heavy drinking... Put me in the Type 2 Diabetic category, and I fight it every single day. .
  • Wolfrikk
    Options
    Alcohol tends to relax you so drinkers tend to have periods of less stress, then nondrinkers. also not sure if the article mentions that moderate drinkers live the longest, so heavy drinking isn't as healthy as drinking moderately. Sucks that you still have to watch those calories too....
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I'll drink to that.