is there a time when we just can not lose any more weight?

Options
Regardless of calories in vs calories out? Will the scale just not budge under a certain number for some people no matter what?
I exercise. I measure everything. I drink my water. I eat healthy. My calorie outtake is more than my intake.

But yet I have only lost 10lbs this year and can NOT get under 170 no matter what I do. I have tried upping, lowering, cycling.. the scale will just not budge!

But I have been getting comments and have lost inches?
SW: 213 CW: 171 Height: 5.5
I lift heavy 3x week, and do cardio 3x week.
I change my program every 6 weeks and work hard when at the Gym.

What gives???

Replies

• AEFidgets
    Options
    Worry more about your body fat percentage then your weight. If you're loosing inches then your moving in the right direction.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    It's probably the heavy lifting. Have you gone down a few sizes? Maybe try lifting heavy twice a week, and add an extra day of HIIT cardio.

I feel your frustration, it's the same for me and I have a long way to go until goal. I have back issues and have been ordered to cut out heavy lifting for now, so I expect to see a dip in my scale weight as I replace it with more cardio. But I have a nice point of reference in that I have been at my current weight before, but also 2 sizes bigger as I had more body fat. It's give and take.
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    If there is that point. . .it;s not at 170. Think about those people who get 80-lbs. Is it easy. . .no, but possible.Is there a limit? Not sure, but it would be a pretty low weight.
  • Natihilator
    Options
    If there is that point. . .it;s not at 170. Think about those people who get 80-lbs. Is it easy. . .no, but possible.Is there a limit? Not sure, but it would be a pretty low weight.

Those 80lb people have also starved away their muscle, some bone density. Things to keep in mind.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    It's probably the heavy lifting. Have you gone down a few sizes? Maybe try lifting heavy twice a week, and add an extra day of HIIT cardio.

I feel your frustration, it's the same for me and I have a long way to go until goal. I have back issues and have been ordered to cut out heavy lifting for now, so I expect to see a dip in my scale weight. But I have a nice point of reference in that I have been at my current weight before, but also 2 sizes bigger as I had more body fat. It's give and take.

Yeah, gone from a size 16 to a 12 at the same weight.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

I had a DEXA scan done and my bone density/muscle/organs weigh 120lbs all up.. So.. there is no way I am getting to 80lbs.. :S
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Those 80lb people have also starved away their muscle, some bone density. Things to keep in mind.

Many overweight people have more muscle than they'd need at a normal weight (ie to carry around all that extra weight). It is normal to lose SOME muscle with normal weight loss.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I'm 170 and pretty muscly... is that a word. I lift weights and do cardio. My trainer has me doing something different every week so my body won't get use to the routine. Have you heard of Tosca Reno and her eat clean way of life? Go to the library and take a look at what she has to say. Although I'm not following it closely this month (December madness) I find it does help me to lose weight.
  • Natihilator
    Options
    Yeah, gone from a size 16 to a 12 at the same weight.
    Well there you go. :smile: Some people lose WEIGHT fast, but I think losing mostly FAT, while retaining muscle mass, makes it all take a lot longer, unfortunately.
  • Natihilator
    Options

Many overweight people have more muscle than they'd need at a normal weight (ie to carry around all that extra weight). It is normal to lose SOME muscle with normal weight loss.

Well obviously, that goes without saying. For an adult of average size and build to get down to 80lbs means they have sacrificed a good portion of muscle. Comparing apples to oranges.
  • servilia
    Options
    The 80lb example was obviously an exaggerated example.
  • Natihilator
    Options
    The 80lb example was obviously an exaggerated example.

Are you seriously trying to pick an argument? :laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Regardless of calories in vs calories out? Will the scale just not budge under a certain number for some people no matter what?
    I exercise. I measure everything. I drink my water. I eat healthy. My calorie outtake is more than my intake.

But yet I have only lost 10lbs this year and can NOT get under 170 no matter what I do. I have tried upping, lowering, cycling.. the scale will just not budge!

What gives???
    How much rest do you get?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

[/quote]
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

What gives???
    How much rest do you get?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    [/quote]

Umm I have 1 rest day a week which usually consists of 5-6 hours of cleaning at work.
    If you mean sleep wise, I aim for 8 hours and usually get about 7 but wake up at least 4-5x a night.
    I must admit that I am also a major stress head.
  • servilia
    Options
    OP, don't give up, I don't think you've reached that point. I mean strictly speaking there is no such point, otherwise no one would starve to death. But we don't need to get into the extreme examples. Just keep working hard.. take a closer look at your intake and check whether you're really measuring properly and recording properly. Sometimes I see people leave out their beverage intake (yes, even caloric ones). More commonly, people have the wrong output recorded. Gym machine readouts are notoriously inaccurate and in my experience, so are the exercise cals that MFP gives you. So you could be working with less of a deficit than you think.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How low have you gone and for how long were you on those calories before changing your diet up?
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    OP, don't give up, I don't think you've reached that point. I mean strictly speaking there is no such point, otherwise no one would starve to death. But we don't need to get into the extreme examples. Just keep working hard.. take a closer look at your intake and check whether you're really measuring properly and recording properly. Sometimes I see people leave out their beverage intake (yes, even caloric ones). More commonly, people have the wrong output recorded. Gym machine readouts are notoriously inaccurate and in my experience, so are the exercise cals that MFP gives you. So you could be working with less of a deficit than you think.

I measure. Only thing I drink is green tea (no sugar). And I am set to my maintenance then minus 500ish from that (I don't add my exercise cals in but eat 1600-1800 depending on which workout I am doing that day and how hungry I am.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    If you are losing inches, you are going in the right direciton; the scale is only one part of the equation. Keep doing what you are doing. The strength training is likely working against the scale but working for you with regard to muscle toning. Sounds like you are on the right track.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    How low have you gone and for how long were you on those calories before changing your diet up?

Well in the beginning I did the whole "not eat calories back thing at 1200cal thing" and per my HRM I was burning between 800-1000 cals a day so netting an average of 200-400 a day. For 9ish months.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Well in the beginning I did the whole "not eat calories back thing at 1200cal thing" and per my HRM I was burning between 800-1000 cals a day so netting an average of 200-400 a day. For 9ish months.

Have long have you been on a caloric deficit for without a break of more than a couple of days?