How do you decide on your goal weight?

2»

Replies

• earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    My goal weight has been a moving target. First a guess. Then based on clothing size. Now based on BF%.....and I'm sticking with this!

BF% is the only way to go!
  • JamieG8991
    JamieG8991 Posts: 1,203 Member
    I decided on mine because I didn't want to set too high of a goal to start out with, then I might give up trying to reach it. I'm never gonna be a "skinny mini" that's not how I'm made. I just want my clothes to fit comfortably and I want to be healthy!!
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Are those online body fat calculators anywhere near accurate? How do they work? I did the military one, and it was spot on with my average fat scale readings at 17%. However, my caliper readings are around 15% (maybe I'm getting the wrong spots?). I was surprised the first two were so close. How can waist/hip/neck measurements even come close to approximating body fat given that people have different fat distribution, amounts of muscle mass etc...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I recently reached my original goal weight. I had set it in the middle of healthy BMI, but I decided to go ahead and lose 5 more lbs once I got there. After that I'm going to focus on building muscle.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    I started with taking my LBM +10% as a male. My LBM has increased as I have moved along this last year so my goal has also changed. Currently it's 210lb.

Feck BMI,
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    How did you decide on what goal was best for you?

I haven't. I happen to have lost weight but I'm more interested in the shape. I couldn't care less whether I weigh two tonnes or 1kg as long as I attain the shape that I want.

I only use the ticker below so that you can see my furry friends.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Being someone who has reached his goal weight, here is what I did.

I started at 250 pounds. Decided to change my lifestyle. Figuring I could never get below 200, I shot for 210. Once I got to 210, I adjusted and went for 200.

Once I reached 200, I took a good look at the CHARTS for my height and age and figured, what the hell, let's give it a shot.

When I got down to 174, the top end of the chart, I figured, let me get to 170.

Well, I flew past 170 all the way down to 162. I am now extremely happy at 165 and have a nice 5 pound cushion to play with.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    The goal I've set right now is exactly the middle of the "healthy" range on a BMI scale.
    But this is actually a fake goal. As I get closer, I will decide when I am happy enough with how I look.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    How I feel, how I look, how my clothes fit, if my body metrics in terms of lipids, glucose, BP are optimal. The scale is a tool, isn't the final authority. It's totally possible to have a low scale number with a higher body fat % and less than optimal health.

So, my advice is to focus on health. Incorporate healthier eating and exercise habits into your life, properly fuel your body, do some weight training , focus on losing fat not weight ..then let the rest fall into place.
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Are those online body fat calculators anywhere near accurate? How do they work? I did the military one, and it was spot on with my average fat scale readings at 17%. However, my caliper readings are around 15% (maybe I'm getting the wrong spots?). I was surprised the first two were so close. How can waist/hip/neck measurements even come close to approximating body fat given that people have different fat distribution, amounts of muscle mass etc...

Sorry, Robin -- I was unclear. Yes, you should measure your BF% with calipers - they're cheap and effective. Once you have a BF%, THEN you can use the online calculator to determine caloric intake for the amount of fat loss you want to achieve.

As for the accuracy of calipers ...... that's always a subject of debate. There are 3-point methods, 7-point methods (you'll need a friend), and I think an 11-point method as well. I've done the 3 and 7, and they both show the same within a percent so I just do the three because it's quick and easy. The gold standard of course is an immersion test, and now the new chamber tests they have. And really, if you're off by a percent or two it's not going to push your caloric intake value around very much - this isn't an exact science. It does put your right int he ballpark though and as you approach your goal, you will know by the mirror if you have achieved it or need to adjust your plan.
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    i am 61 years old, am 4'11" and got up to 219...size 20W...my best adult size was a 10, many years ago...my goal from the beginning (2 years ago) was to at least get back to a size 10....after that, I will readjust my goals... I think that I need another 55-60 lbs to be there...
  • I had a lot of thinking to do when deciding my goal weight, because my dream weight has always been a bit lower than what's really healthy, so I needed to rethink what was sexy. Once I came to the conclusion that a little softness is actually attractive to most males I decided to look at the center of what's considered a healthy bmi for me and went with a weight somewhere in there that I knew would be comfortable. It's a personal thing, though. You have to decide for yourself what is right for you and what you are willing to work toward.
  • marlynej
    marlynej Posts: 21 Member
    Probably the best suggestion would be to see your Doctor who will set your goal weight.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    I have little goals like getting down 25 lbs (2 to go). Medium goals like getting below 200 lbs (24 to go). Then into the overweight range and out of the obese range. Final goal is the top of the healthy range on the BMI charts. At that point, I'll either maintain or lose a little more. Of course, I'm also adding muscle and value my Doc's opinion, so may end up weighing more...what I really want is to be healthy. My guy loves the way I look now and I'll be happy with just fitting into significantly smaller clothing as far as non-health issues go.
  • chocolatecroissant
    chocolatecroissant Posts: 155 Member
    Thanks for all the helpful advice. It's given me lots to think about and I think that I will aim to lose a few more pounds but primarily focus on toning up so increase my strength work. I will also be informed by my scales which include BF and Muscle measurements.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    My weight fluctuates so much I set my goal by my measurements and body fat %.

Also wanting to comfortably fit back into a couple of dresses/skirts that I have worn for a year or two!
  • wavedancer123
    wavedancer123 Posts: 47 Member
    My BMI, was 30 which was obese, so I am aiming 18-25 which is healthy, at present I am 22, so I would be happy 20. Weight wise I want to get under 10stone say 9.12. At present I am 10stone, which for me is fantastic. I was 13 stone 6lbs.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    I was 120 at the start of this year. I felt sexy, confident, healthy and beautiful at that weight. So that's what I decided I wanted to be back down to. Dream weight would be 115, but I don't think I could do that. Exercise will help tone me up, though - I've never been toned before!

Most of my clothes are also in the 120 pound range - and I'm really too poor to buy a new wardrobe. So getting back into those will be great.