Spinning - general cardio question

Options
So I started taking spinning classes and I'm not sure how to log this into MFP. I've been playing it safe and putting it in as light effort, but I started measuring my heart rate during the exercise and according to that my effort would fit into the vigorous category. I still put it in as moderate effort because there are plenty of recovery sections in the spinning class. What do you guys recommend? I'm guessing that sort of applies to some other cardio activities too. If you're trying to log things in according to your HR, do you take an average of the HRs and see where you fit in and still be conservative in how your logging that in?

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Intense activity has active recovery that is what interval training is, it's physically impossible to go all out for the entire class. Really go for it during the hard intervals, assuming you are fully healthy aim to be gasping for air and/ or muscles screaming, try not to take it too easy during the active recovery, if your breathing is returning close to normal you are going too easy.
  • whitney_elyse
    whitney_elyse Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Good question! I've had this same issue but I've settled on logging it in as moderate effort, as well. You're right, my HR is definitely in the "vigorous" category for 95% of the class but there are periods of 10-15 sec of rest. I have been wearing a HR monitor during the class as of late and when I figure out my overall calories burned across the class, it usually fits into what MFP logs as "moderate" effort (~550 calories per 1 hour class). Depending on the instructor, it may be over that estimate but I choose to log conservatively. :) Hope this helps!
  • autumnsnow786
    autumnsnow786 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    thanks! yeah I think that's what i'm going to keep doing then. I gotta figure out how to not hurt my knees though. I keep pointing my toes =/
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I wear a HRM for cardio and find my actual burn is around 25% less than the MFP estimates
  • callmenam
    callmenam Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I worked it out by going on a normal bike and putting it on Random at a level or 2 above my basic spinning resistance setting. I then put in as much as I would for a spinning session and I use that total as it includes high restance and recovery periods. Not exact but I think pretty close