Couch to 5k challenge anyone?

Options

Replies

• capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    I'm a recent graduate, and can attest that it works. I could barely go 2 minutes running without giving in. Now I can handle 30 minutes, no problem. I've been doing interval work lately to get my time down to 30:00 or better.
  • kathyl05
    kathyl05 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I would really like to do it. I would like to participate in a 5k which is next month in Newtown Ct. I'm not supposed to run, but I figure I can put up with some pain; it will be nothing compared to what they have gone through.
  • kathyl05
    Options
    I'm a recent graduate, and can attest that it works. I could barely go 2 minutes running without giving in. Now I can handle 30 minutes, no problem. I've been doing interval work lately to get my time down to 30:00 or better.
  • kathyl05
    Options
    How long did it take you? I don't want to completely humiliate myself, but i don't have much time.
  • ysamatar
    ysamatar Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I would really like to do it. I would like to participate in a 5k which is next month in Newtown Ct. I'm not supposed to run, but I figure I can put up with some pain; it will be nothing compared to what they have gone through.

I am also from CT and would love to do the 5k in Newtown, CT. We are so heart broken. It will be such a great honor to do it. Do you know when the deadline for registration is? Thanks
  • Vicstar1977
    Options
    Oooo this had got me excited. Been wanting to do this for a while now. Im gonna get the lycra on and will be back in half an hour to tell you I've done it :happy:
  • ysamatar
    ysamatar Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    How long did it take you? I don't want to completely humiliate myself, but i don't have much time.

Kathy, we can do it together no humiliation at all. Let's give all we got for Newton.
  • Vicstar1977
    Options
    W1 D1 all done. I walked at 4.5 and ran at 6.5. I am a wet sweaty mess. I have to admit I completed this last year but once Id done the 30 minutes I never did it again :grumble: I never could have done the 6.5 speed the first time around. Good luck everyone!
  • justmyalias
    justmyalias Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    i need to jump off the bandwagon
    and get to running...
    it's been way to long, and I have a 5K on January 13th!!
  • iamkarent
    iamkarent Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I did week 1 day 1 yesterday...I AM IN!!!

5 min warm up
    jog 1 min walk 1.5 min

Did my walk at 2.9(home treadmill setting is off a bit feels like a 3.2 at gym)
    Jog I started at 4.3 but increased and by last two did 4.9 which felt more comfortable

Cooled down walk at 2.9

For 28 minutes and 1.61 miles
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I 'graduated' from c25k in Nov. after starting in APRIL! I fell, broke some bones and had a few other issues that set me back, but I got right back into it and finished. :) Now I'm doing 5k to 10k, treadmill version, based on time rather than distance. It is c25k free by Zen labs, with the 5k to 10k starting at week 9. I am on W10D2 today. I love it and I jog VERY slowly, like 3.5 to 4mph so I stay in fat burning mode, and don't break anymore bones. I'll pick up speed after I reach my goal size. I'd be happy to join and cheer you all along. Are you going to make a group?
  • guestkate
    Options
    I attempted W5 Run 2 today, but didn't complete. Was really happy to run 8 whole minutes for the first run (a record by 3 minutes!), but only managed about 4.5mins of second run. Had a terrible stitch for the first time ever, and just felt awful the whole time. Will try again tomorrow. Happy to take this week slow and work my way up to 20 mins gradually...
  • fit_for_30
    Options
    I'm on W2D2 :) Feel free to add me if you need some moral support.
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    I just did week 3 day 1. Its so hard and Im really slow but I love it. Have a 5K in March so aiming to be finished by the end of Feb.
  • shoniej
    shoniej Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Recent grad!! It works!!! I ran W1D1 on 10/20/12 and I ran my first 5K on 12/15/12. Stick with it and you will see amazing results! I am now working on another program which will focus on weight loss with interval training. I should finish this program running 45 minutes steady. Warning: Once you get to the long runs, you will find running addicting! Good luck everyone :bigsmile:
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    doing W4D2 today!

usual is to warm up walk 3 mph, then jog at 5mph first round then bump it to 5.5 and 6mph and intermittent walks around 3.3-3.5 mph.
  • UmMasud
    UmMasud Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I started today. I alternated 1 minute of jogging at 6.7mph with 2 mins of brisk walking at 5mph and continued this for the next 30 minutes. It wasn't too bad. However, I only completed 2.7 miles in (4.3km) 30 minutes.

Should I try and continue and finish 5km every time, or do whatever I can in my 30 minutes?
  • jaena4
    jaena4 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I did W1, D1 today! I ran 14 minutes at the beginning and then did the first run of C25K! I'm excited - I hope I can stick it out this time! I walked at 3.0 and ran at 5.3 and felt pretty good. I'm not fast and God knows I'm not graceful, but I felt good! I'm excited to do it again! W1, D1 doesn't seem that hard since I've been noodling with running for a few weeks and can actually run for a bit, so I'm thinking about doing it again tomorrow - too soon? Should I take days off, even if I felt like it wasn't a huge challenge?
  • ladyartichoke
    Options
    YES! I tried to start, I managed two days. Unfortunately due to my bizarre schedule I can't find a regular time to do it (shift work and long hours sometimes 14+ a day). I wish you the best of luck though.

Stick to the 30 minutes though, the idea is to build your fitness up gradually.
  • Ms_Pixie
    Ms_Pixie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 Weeks in & it's a great program... Good Luck!!