HIIT Training for Begininer

Options
I am going to start a HIIT routine on the treadmill tomorrow and then do this 3x week. I am really not in the best running shape and was wondering if anybody had suggestions that may help me improve the running.

Thanks

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I would start out with doing a 1:3 work/rest ratio. For example if you're not a confident runner. Run for one minute and then walk for three minutes repeated 6-8 times. As you become a better runner you can increase speed and/or manipulate the work/rest ratio to make it more difficult.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    HIIT isn't for beginners. If you aren't in running shape then you're going to put yourself at injury risk or perform at too low an intensity to benefit. beginners should do beginner level workouts if they want to stay healthy and motivated to enjoy working out long term.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I would start out with doing a 1:3 work/rest ratio. For example if you're not a confident runner. Run for one minute and then walk for three minutes repeated 6-8 times. As you become a better runner you can increase speed and/or manipulate the work/rest ratio to make it more difficult.

That would be interval training -which is great for beginners- but not HIIT. HIIT is done at a high intensity that is not sustainable for longer than the set time, usually around 20-40 seconds.
  • jellebeandesigns
    jellebeandesigns Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    That sounds hideous. I would do bodyrock or Zwow for hiit (I do Zwow) and interval training to run. Keep em separate :) I run 16 min run 15 sec walk, and do hiit (don't start there for running start at 30 sec run/30 sec walk) both rock but I think they should be separate way more fun that way!