How much do you sweat?

Options
After I workout, I am drenched. Soaked. Is that normal? I've been given 'advice' with people tellling me that if I sweat more, that means I'm in better shape. Then I've been told that if I sweat a lot, that means I'm in bad shape. I've also been told that if I sweat a ton during a workout, that means I am well hydrated.

What do you think?

Am I the only one who gets funny looks when I am at the gym with my clothes soaked?

Replies

• cds2327
    cds2327 Posts: 439
    Options
    I sweat tons! it's disgusting, but i don't care. i try to look at it like the fat melting off me...lol:huh:
  • gym_rat
    Options
    I sweat tons! it's disgusting, but i don't care. i try to look at it like the fat melting off me...lol:huh:

That's an awesome way to look at it!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I'm in bad shape (admittedly), and I don't sweat profusely during a workout. I get a light glisten generally, but I never have sweat dripping off of me no matter how intensely I go at it. My face sweats more than anything. I've seen big people who are completely out of shape sweating bullets, and I've seen people in excellent condition barely sweating...perhaps it's more of a person to person basis kind of thing.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I sweat tons. Always have. Bad shape or running a half marathon. I'm just a sweaty girl. My mom hardly sweats at all no matter how hard she's working out. We are both very hydrated. I think its just genetics.
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    I consider myself not done with my workout until I am dripping sweat. :D
  • aythakay
    aythakay Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm a sweater- I am literally sopping wet after my runs in the summer. I can't even do 20 min. without breaking a sweat. Mostly it's a pain having to always wash my hair after I workout....

BTW I am a marathon runner and in pretty good shape, however, I think it's just gentics.
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    Weigh yourself before you work out and then immediately after your workout wipe off the excess sweat and weigh yourself again. The difference in weight is how much water you lost. You need to be drinking that back in addition to your usual water intake on non-workout days.
  • pdxrunner
    pdxrunner Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sweating is the body's air conditioning system basically so, generally speaking, the more fit you are the more efficient your body becomes at cooling itself hence the increased sweat. That being said - everyone is different. I sweat a ton and sweat more when I'm properly hydrated and my fitness level is better but I also have very fit friends who barely break a sweat during a spin class while I leave a puddle on the floor.

Just be sure to keep yourself hydrated during the workout to replenish what you lose through exercise. Ideally you will take enough water in that you weigh the same before and after the exercise - but don't get too hung up on it because it's not a precise measurement.

In the meantime just enjoy the sense of accomplishment that comes with a nice sweaty workout. :)
  • buggaboo73
    Options
    Oh my.....I looked quick and thought it read 'how much do you swear?'. Since I swear like a sailor most of the time I high tailed it over here, only to discover it reads 'how much do you SWEAT?'. Ah well, don't mind me......carry on! :drinker:
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I sweat like a boy! Red in the face, dripping sweat - not too pretty.

I think it may also be genetics because I know people who work out as hard as I do and don't even glisten! :angry: :grumble: For as long as I remember, my Mom always had a sweaty hairline, and I do too. I don't even have to exert myself and I have a sweat going on.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I sweat A LOT! My face also gets very rosy.. it's just the way I am! If your really concerned ask your dr. but I don't think it's necessarily bad for you, stay well hydrated and listen to your body.
  • noseovertail
    Options
    I always heard that when you sweat you are also ridding your body of toxins. So sweating profusely is a good thing!