Dating and Diet

Options
This post is kind of branch of another post I just saw. I have started to feel pretty healthy and good about myself lately. I'm to the point that I have started dating comfortably. In the past year I have worked towards a paleo diet and now feel that with dating (and the holidays aren't helping) I have a tough time eating paleo even 75% of the time. I like to make room for special events and foods that have some emotional value to me, but I don't think the random first date counts as a special event most of the time.

Since most dates in the beginning stages of relationships are based around food and drinks - especially in the winter what do you do? What have you done to deal with your diet beliefs and dating?

Replies

• Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Just order as close as you can to paleo. When we go out I settle for meat and veggies, maybe a salad.. As far as drinks, have wine!
  • ahadj
    ahadj Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    You could suggest an active date, like a hike, or ice skating. Bonus: Studies show that couples who do an activity together that gets their blood pumping feel more attraction. (I wonder why? :wink: )
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to do Paleo in public, then it's quite hard to make that a lifestyle change?
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I usually look at restaurant menus online and find a restaurant that has meat and veg. Even if they don't have it on the menu most places have no problem hooking you up with some chicken and steamed broccoli. It's a little awkward to be so fussy about food but it's something that they'll have to get used to at some point so . . it might as well be the first date.
  • johnsjes
    johnsjes Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It's not that I'm embarrased to "do" paleo in public. It' just more compicated. - and as Cr01502 says - you appear pretty picky. I get to the point that I just want to eat at home but then when you get to the restaurant and don't want much to eat you look like the girl who doesn't eat.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Why awkward? If you pay someone for a service isn't it their responsibility to fulfill their duties? I've tried to follow so many food fads but in the end you get so stressed about not being able to follow them its annoying. Why do you want something that has so much control over your life and weight have even more control over the way you live? It wasn't worth being stressed all the time for me, now I am calories in > calories out. Its been proven.
  • rolal
    rolal Posts: 7
    Options
    I've had various dietary restrictions throughout my life, both due to diet choices and medical conditions. What I do for dates (or meeting with friends or family at a restaurant) is suggest a place where I know I can order food that works for me. If I don't know the area, I will do some research online first and read menus of the available restaurants. Sometimes I even pick out what to order ahead of time, so I will have no stress at the restaurant.

For dates in particular, I recommend telling the person about your dietary restrictions within a couple of dates, if not on the first. This is something important to you for your continued health. Your ideal partner would surely appreciate that and respect your needs. It could even make good conversation to get to know each other--pretty much everyone has strong feelings about one kind of food or another!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I am not single, but if I was, I would run screaming from anyone that didn't eat "regular food". My wife has very odd food quirks(and always has), and they get more annoying has time goes on.
  • rolal
    rolal Posts: 7
    Options
    when you get to the restaurant and don't want much to eat you look like the girl who doesn't eat.

I so sympathise with this!

I started going to a productivity meetup group recently and I'm consistently the one eating the least (and spending the least). At the first meetup I felt very awkward! At the second one, I pulled up MFP at the table and let it become a point of conversation. The other people were actually interested to learn about my dietary & fitness goals.
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Since most dates in the beginning stages of relationships are based around food and drinks - especially in the winter what do you do?

I hate to sound incredulous, but there are loads of activities that have nothing to do with food. Pick 10, do those instead.

My fiancee and I have been out to eat together only a handful of times we've been together - all the rest of our dates have been walking, movies, window shopping, bowling, dog-walking, running, weight-lifting, yoga, etc. That's 8 other activities right there. That doesn't even touch things like museums, zoos, historical tours, horseback rides, cooking classes, mini-golf, I could keep going.
    What have you done to deal with your diet beliefs and dating?

Why the heck would you change just because you are dating? You eat to meet YOUR goals, not someone else's, and you certainly don't eat for someone else.
  • nefbaker
    Options
    Since most dates in the beginning stages of relationships are based around food and drinks - especially in the winter what do you do?

I hate to sound incredulous, but there are loads of activities that have nothing to do with food. Pick 10, do those instead.

My fiancee and I have been out to eat together only a handful of times we've been together - all the rest of our dates have been walking, movies, window shopping, bowling, dog-walking, running, weight-lifting, yoga, etc. That's 8 other activities right there. That doesn't even touch things like museums, zoos, historical tours, horseback rides, cooking classes, mini-golf, I could keep going.
    What have you done to deal with your diet beliefs and dating?

Why the heck would you change just because you are dating? You eat to meet YOUR goals, not someone else's, and you certainly don't eat for someone else.

This....and do you have an older brother?
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    This post is kind of branch of another post I just saw. I have started to feel pretty healthy and good about myself lately. I'm to the point that I have started dating comfortably. In the past year I have worked towards a paleo diet and now feel that with dating (and the holidays aren't helping) I have a tough time eating paleo even 75% of the time. I like to make room for special events and foods that have some emotional value to me, but I don't think the random first date counts as a special event most of the time.

Since most dates in the beginning stages of relationships are based around food and drinks - especially in the winter what do you do? What have you done to deal with your diet beliefs and dating?

Do something other than food and drink, there are a ton of fun activities that don't involve this. Or research and pick your restaurant more carefully, you may find Asian or French cuisine easier than Mexican or Italian say. I had a family meal from a short set menu yesterday - poached egg and asparagus to start salmon and veggies to follow, asked for double veg instead of potatoes, ate the hollandaise even tho it was off my eating plan. Plenty of places have fairly simple fish or chicken or steak dishes you can add vegetables to or ask for sauce on the side without making a fuss. If you are still finding paleo too restrictive maybe it is not for you?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    This kind of conundrum is the main reason why many people who consider Paleo a potentally healthy diet opt out of doing it. It can be too restrictive and make life unnecesarily complicated.